User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What wood to repair swollen wood in bathroom?

I have a 21’ 330RDS,purchased it from my aunt as they only used it for 6 months. When they first got it the rv places during its PDI didn’t seal the shower properly and some water swelled up the trim to the left of the toilet and below sink cabinet. I want to pull it out and replace with a real wood that is not going to swell like the cheap mdf like stuff in there. What is a good wood that will resist water and not be really difficult to work with? I’m pretty handy doing remodeling but I’m no carpenter so I figured I’d add that. I plan to copy the way it attaches with screws hidden in back.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend just using pine to keep it light and easy to work with. If you maintain the caulking, which should be the first priority, then you don't need to worry about it absorbing water. You can usually get stains to match pretty well. Just my $.02.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of pine since it’s easy to work with but I read it will absorb moisture easily

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugsysiegel View Post
    I was thinking of pine since it’s easy to work with but I read it will absorb moisture easily
    More easily than other woods but not like the particle board in our RV's. It would take a lot more moisture to notice it in the pine especially if you are going to stain and finish it. You can get polystains now where it one step to have it stained and polyurethane coated.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)