User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spare tire dropping

The other morning I stumbled on a thread on Facebook about a spare tire on a Reflection dropping on it's own. I checked mine as i broke camp and it was secure.
    We arrived home in the dark. The next morning, looking out the kitchen window, Tobi asked if the trailer's spare tire always hung that low. Well, it shouldn't.
    The first photo from the Fb post is a robust fix that prevents the spare from self unwinding. I didn't want to have to go into the underbelly to secure the eye-bolt so I used a latch keep instead. Now on my pre-travel checklist.
    I can just imagine what mayhem would follow should the leading edge of a dropped spare happen to catch the pavement.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robust.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	10907

Name:	latch keep.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	10908
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check mine frequently,and have noticed it does tend to creep down
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we were at the Quartzsite rally last year, our campsite had a perfect view of units as they were pulling out when the rally was done. I stopped two owners who had their spare tires flopping around while in motion. One of those had their spare hanging down over six inches. Thanks for posting these pics. Now I have another project to do.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found ours was hanging down too, at the beginning of last season. Guess it just relies on friction to keep the cable from unwinding.

Thanks for the fix.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that our spare drops on it's own. It became part of my walk around, to ckeck. I also check when we stop at rest areas.
    Thanks for posting. It will be on my list of things to do.
    Wishing are a HAPPY and Blessed New Year.
    Stay warm and be safe.
    Safe travels to all.
    John and Carol Joscelyne and Hexy too! ! !
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was my resolution to not having to go underneath the trailer to get my spare. You know when yo get a flat, it will be on a muddy road or pouring rain or snow and cold.

Name:	genreratortirerack 002.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	10910 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genreratortirerack 001.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	10909
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    This was my resolution to not having to go underneath the trailer to get my spare. You know when yo get a flat, it will be on a muddy road or pouring rain or snow and cold.
    Jeff - I really like that solution! That platform looks custom made and attached by more than just the stock single centre receiver. If so, could you share more construction details? Based on other discussions on this forum, I am thinking that it would be wise to carry two spare tires . . . and as you note, the roadside repair would be with the easy-to-get-to one on the back.

BTW, if you are messing about with the standard spare underneath, lower it all the way to make sure the lift cable is not tangled and turn it over so that you can access the air valve without lowering the tire. I think GDRV continues to load the spare with valve up despite suggestions that this makes it a lot more work to check spare tire pressure.

Edit: Jeff - Just found your earlier posts on this subject including the 3rd picture which helps a lot. (I knew that I had seen this before ) Did you originally have the rear bumper or the rear receiver?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, and of course all who read on: The original was the receiver only that was bolted on with two bolts on each side. 300 lb capacity as well. When i took it off, I weighed it, about 75 lbs. so now according to the original limits, 375 #'s. My new rack if i recall weighed in at less than 75lbs, with generator and tire I believe i am at only about 300 lbs total. so in reality, you could add an extra spare. I don't have any dimensions on this but could do it if someone needs it. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to know if those of you that have had the spare tire drop had ever lowered and then lifted the tire back up before that happened.

Most peeps that have tried to lower the tire have found a rats nest of tangle cable and difficult to lower. I can see where a ball of tangled cable could have enough slack to drop the tire some even if the winch does not move.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I upgraded the axles on my old 5th wheel the new tires were much heavier than the original tires. I did not take that into consideration. Somewhere between Green River Utah and Salt Lake City Utah the entire spare tire rack fell off, pulled the bolt holding the unit up out of the support bracket. It too would creep down.

Now that I have a blown tire and had to use the spare on my new Momentum I will have to keep an eye on the spare to make sure it isn't creeping. The locking devices on the winch handles looks like a good idea.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast