Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Door tough to close and locking latch wont completely rotate

Well, I delayed a bit before posting this to see if I could figure out a fix, but no luck.

The back door on my TT leading to the main living area does not open and close smoothly like the front door. It requires what I would consider considerable pressure (for a door) to get it closed. in fact, when you initially close it and you hear the latch click, you have to push even harder for the latch to fully seat. (not sure how to describe that any better) For example, at the initial closing the inside latch will still kind of wobble but the door does not open if pushed. Then, if you close it a little harder the latch will fully seat & the door handle will be firmly seated.
    Additionally, the locking bolt does not fully seat like the front door. In fact, the little red lock on the inside rotates about 30 degrees shy of "full" when compares to the front lock. However, it does still engage enough to lock the door from opening with just the handle being pulled. These could be 2 different problems or they could be related. It almost looks like the hole for the lock to slide in to isn't deep enough to allow the locking mechanism to fully extend. If i pry really hard on the red lock though I can get it to close. I only did this once since I figured if I kept doing it the plastic piece would snap.
    On closer inspection, it looks like the door has a tighter fit on the bottom then it does along the top of the frame. When the door is closed and viewed from the side (outside) you can see the bottom is more flush to the trailer than the top. I wouldn't say it is extreme though and just chalked it up to normal variances in construction.

-The trailer is definitely level while encountering the issue, so I don't believe that is causing the issue
    -The rotating motion of the door is smooth with no binding, so I don't think it is a lubrication issue
    -None of the hinges look bent/warped

Does this sound like a simple DIY fix or something that will have to go to the dealer? Worst possible outcome is it requires depot maintenance which I don't think will be possible since I live in CA.

p.s. wasn't sure if this was frame, exterior, or interior so I am posting to the general section.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had a similar occurrence on our Reflection TT. The latch would really bind up, especially on a hot day. There was some interference between the latch and the strike plate. I tried grinding down the areas that were hitting with my Dremel tool, but it really didn't make a difference.

My solution was actually quite easy. I removed the two short strike plate screws and replaced them with screws that were about 1/2" - 3/4" longer. When I did so, the screws bit into the underlying material much better, and pulled the strike plate deeper into the door channel. I've never had a problem since.

Another issue is that the door camber may be out of adjustment. Too much camber will cause it to be difficult to latch. There should be some camber so that the upper and lower corners of the door contact the frame before the latch does. Too much, and it makes it difficult to secure the latch. Here is the Lippert Technical Instruction on how to check and adjust the camber:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ng_Camber_.pdf

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    Thanks for the post. I am willing to be that it is right on (keeping my fingers crossed). Now I just need to get a very large straight edge and check it out next weekend when I take the TT out again.

Matt
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westcoaster07, I had to enlarge the holes for the latch throws a bit by cutting the plywood behind the strike plate with a box cutter. I did this without removing the strike plate. It wasn’t aligned quite right. The latch throws weren’t getting enough unrestricted travel (deep enough) until the hole was enlarged a bit. I can’t recall what trailer this was on, my current or last trailer. Good luck.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Westcoaster07, I had to enlarge the holes for the latch throws a bit by cutting the plywood behind the strike plate with a box cutter. I did this without removing the strike plate. It wasn’t aligned quite right. The latch throws weren’t getting enough unrestricted travel (deep enough) until the hole was enlarged a bit. I can’t recall what trailer this was on, my current or last trailer. Good luck.
    Thanks. Yeah I think that is the culprit of the lock issue as well (separate from tge door closing well) and was thinking I may have to cut the hole deeper. So you don't think I can do damage by notching the hole a bit deeper? Was worried about needing to basically dig away at the hole since I wasn't sure if it was a solid piece I would be digging in to.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t say for sure. If it were me, I’d probably take it nice and slow and see how far you can go. It’s been a while since I did mine. You likely won’t need to go much deeper, but I think that area is made for that mechanism, so it should be deep.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well unfortunately I am 0 for 2. The door camber was not over the limit and was actually on the low end. In fact, it was almost identical to the door that closes perfectly.
    Also, I can't dig out the hole for the lock because there is a metal/aluminum rail.

It appears the door is 1/8th" close to the left side of the frame than the other door. Not sure if this is an issue with the hinges or just variances in construction. I may remove the hinges on our next camping trip to take more precise measurement's but at this point I'm wondering if it is something they are going to just tell me to take it to an authorized repair facility.
    The stiffness in closing the door I am sure they will say is normal but not being able to fully seat the lock will definitely need to be fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180105_160134~2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	10937 here is the aluminum frame in the way of extending the lock. It's the same depth as the other door though so I think it is more a door issue than the hole not being correctly sized.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if the latch is wide enough to hit the aluminum stud, or does it occupy the front left side where the plywood is?

Okay, you got me curious now. I just went outside and took this pic of mine. It’s a bit different than yours. It looks like this is the one that I had to shave a bit to get the latch to extend all the way. The latch only occupies the front left part on mine. You may have to let a dealer solve it for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B3BEA028-4977-447B-8B10-B543F029FD9C.jpg  
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the bolt is horizontal so it hits the metal
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast