Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Night Stop

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Night Stop

We are new to full size trailering. We previously used a pop-up. We are planning our first big trip with a 2800BH. About a 10 hour drive to our destination, so we are breaking it down over 2 days. (Previously, without trailer, it would be a one day drive. But since we are newbies to travel trailers, we decided to limit the miles per day.) Our question is, since we will be staying at a campground just overnight, do we go with full hookups for the night or just use the holding tanks for the one night and go with full hookup when we get to the destination campground.
    Thanks for your input
    Jim & Wanda

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be up to you. For one day I would just use an electric with water site. If the campground has a dump station (which it should), you can save a few dollars by not using a full hookup site. Just stop by the dump station on the way out.

The longer the stay the more a full hookup has it benefits. I like a full hookup for the added benefit that I can preform a good black tank flush without holding others up in line. No sure if your unit has the black tank flush or not.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We can usually make it 10-11 days with no hookups when we dry camp. You should easily be able to handle an overnight stop, then take care of dumping when you get to your final destination.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always go with full hook-ups if available. I don't like carrying around any more water (weight) than I need to. You can save a little money (very little) by getting electric/water only and using their dump site on the way out but the little you save is not worth the extra hassle to me.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With us, it's just wife and I and our two dogs. We've made some 10 - 12 hour drives but those are long long days and arrive at the new site in the dark. Usually like to find dog parks or small towns with courthouse squares to give the dogs a little break.
    The limiting factor for us has always been the grey tanks. A tote helps out a lot but not preferred.
    We've stayed sometimes just overnight and only hooked up to electric, used bottled water for everything but the first thing we do is hook up to water for showers. Not much I disliked more than having to move the trailer just to go to the dump station then get all set up again.
    Tobi & Kevin
    Barley and Maddi
    Boerne, TX

2018 297rsts
    2017 RAM 2500 Cummins
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as other replies, for a stop-and-go overnight we will usually stay hooked up to the trailer, lower the landing gear and just hook up the electric. We carry a few gallons of water for dish washing and toilet. No other hookups simplifies leaving in the morning.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us, how we do one-nighters en route depends mostly on the weather/temperature. It it's really hot, we need 50 amp electric to run the ACs or we don't sleep well at night. If it's really cold (like it is now), we depend on the electric fireplace and a ceramic heater (with another in the basement) to reduce propane consumption and keep us and the rig thawed out. Otherwise, we usually travel with a full fresh water tank and empty waste tanks so, if we don't feel like it, we don't have to connect anything but the electric.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If possible, you might want to do a shakedown trip before you set out on what sounds like a several hundred mile trip. Even if it's just to "driveway camp" for a night, to check that everything works OK.

Also, you might consider breaking the initial drive into 3 days, just to be sure you have plenty of daylight to setup, etc.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Our plan is to take two weekend shakedown weekends when we pick up the trailer in March. The 600 mile trip is in early April. Since we haven't done anything but the pop-up to date, this is all new. If we just stay hooked to the truck for that one night, do we just get full hookups at the final destination and empty the tanks that way. We don't need an extra stop at the dump station before that do we? Like I said, this is ALL new to us. We just hope to make the overnight stop quick to get to the next camp site with full hookups for a few days.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with half fresh water tank, around 60 gallons, which allows for toilet, shower etc without hookup for water. I prefer 50 amp but overnight in cooler weather I can do 30’amp or at a push can use the onboard generator. I always take the truck off the hitch for safety purposes.
    One night stops are minimalist for me as they are what they are, en-route to our intended destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast