User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information from GD prospective Clay. It sounds reasonable and what I would expect.

Also thanks for the additional great information on the generators everyone.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana
    2014 Grand Designs Reflection 293RES #0477
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Timon0x31
    When I talked to Jorden today I ask about Solar prep. GD is looking at making Solar easier to install which is a good thing. The first step is adding roof jacks so you can bring down the power leads. Same for other wiring such as antenna leads.

As far as mounting the panels I assume it's much like having it done on a house. You have to work with a professional at least when it comes to the physical mounting. If I wanted to do my own solar install, which except for the physical mounting of the roof brackets I'm totally qualified to do, I'd still work with a roofing contractor to get the brackets installed. The same for putting panels on a RV, I want someone that understands mounting on a rubber roof.

What I would suggest to GD is to put together a Solar Panel installation manual which covers what is necessary to be done when mounting to the roof. If you correctly follow the manual then you're covered. If you didn't then you're not.

Now what's needed is a good way to install panels so they can be easily tilted for maximum efficiency, don't cause a lot of drag across the top of the room and mount solid enough so the roof is not stresses. I'm trying to come up with a way do this and it's not an easy task but I think it's doable.
    Last edited by Timon0x31; 06-26-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look close enough, you can find 100% gasoline for about 40 cents higher than 90/10. Many of the premium brand 93 octanes are also 100% gasoline. I use 100% in my pontoon boat in the Fall with some fuel additives, and have not experienced any fuel aging problems that 90/10 will give.

My camper's always hooked up to electricity when we camp, and I prefer to watch the campground's cable television. I'm a low tech kind'a guy and solar panels are just too high tech for me.

Timon0x31
    I've go an idea but I need some information.

Since the roofs are not flat how much crown/pitch is there on the roofs and is it different between each series? So we're on the same page if you took a straight edge and ran it across the roof how much lower is the edge than the middle of the roof?

Thanks

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timon0x31 View Post
    I've go an idea but I need some information.

Since the roofs are not flat how much crown/pitch is there on the roofs and is it different between each series? So we're on the same page if you took a straight edge and ran it across the roof how much lower is the edge than the middle of the roof?

Thanks
    Hi @Timon0x31,

We use 5" rafters with 1.5" ends leaving a 3.5" crown.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Timon0x31
    That's about a 1/12 pitch if you were talking in house roof pitch although the pitch is your case is curved not straight. I'm guessing it's less curved in the center so you can mount larger items such as A/C there. Anyway that answers my question so I can work the dimensions into an idea I have for mounting solar panels.

Thanks much

John

janmaclean
    I'm thinking about solar also but I have a 303 and don't see a way to get the wires from the roof to the battery. Has anyone ran wires from the roof down and where did you go,without taking the trailer apart. thanks

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I installed a solar charging system (200W) on my 337. Now, I just use the generator to run an appliance such as the microwave for a few minutes if needed. My solar panels keep the batteries at peak charge all the time. I elected to go with portable panels so I could move them throughout the day as needed to keep the panels in the sun. If anyone want's info on my system or how to install it, drop me a line.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by janmaclean View Post
    I'm thinking about solar also but I have a 303 and don't see a way to get the wires from the roof to the battery. Has anyone ran wires from the roof down and where did you go,without taking the trailer apart. thanks
    You might be able to run them down inside the same wall as the sewer vent pipe and get them to the basement that way.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12