Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning covers - DIY?

Taking possession of a new 310GK in less than 2 weeks. (It"s ours now.) Anyone out there in Grand Design land ever install awning covers "OVER THE SLIDE OUTS" themselves. I have a mechanical background working on Lithographic Printing press's worldwide. Is it a pain in the rear, or something worth doing to save on the income from BOEING stock. Learn me up!! Thanks Steve & Cyndie.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slide toppers

Quote Originally Posted by pilotsteve9 View Post
    Taking possession of a new 310GK in less than 2 weeks. (It"s ours now.) Anyone out there in Grand Design land ever install awning covers "OVER THE SLIDE OUTS" themselves. I have a mechanical background working on Lithographic Printing press's worldwide. Is it a pain in the rear, or something worth doing to save on the income from BOEING stock. Learn me up!! Thanks Steve & Cyndie.
    Hello Steve and Cyndie,

We r new 310 owners too and we r wanting to add toppers and like u, trying to decide weather I want to do it my self. I have removed and recovered our toppers on a motorhome we owned. It really was not to difficult. There r a couple of safety concerns. One was the spring, it is similar to a garage door spring but was very easy to deal with following the procedure the manufacture recommended. The other is the size and weight of the topper. It is definitely a 2 person operation. The final issue is working on ladders.

We have not yet started our homework on the topic, but plan to shortly. For us it will come down to how much labor will cost vs. the time it will take us to do it.

We wish u good luck with ur new rig and we will be following this thread!

George and Mary

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now think it might to be easier to have them installed since it sounds like a two man job, which makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight George, and a shot of reality! Steve P.S. Jan 30th looks like the day. (Monday is.. putting the cargo shipping container on my friends rice farm to hold all the Aviation Art, Wooden Propellers, and books I cannot carry.)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dealer want $500 per topper with no regard to length. You can order toppers on Amazon for half that.

Before I paid $1000 labor to install 4 toppers, I would learn how to install them. It is best to have another person help you. I think ingenuity could figure how 1 could install them. When in doubt, always go to UTube.com.

In my Reflection, the big slide beside the front door takes a topper 6 inches shorter than would usually go on it. The over the door electric awning would hit the slide topper If a longer one was used. The space between the slide and the door frame is pretty short on some models.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bamaman. Great advice. (Yes, Amazon is incredible).