Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed a carrier on my rear bumper (2018 Solitude 310GK-R). I first checked with GD and was told that the bumper could support 300 lbs. I then ran some calculations based on the thickness of the bumper steel, the frame steel, and the welds and concluded that the 300 lbs. is very conservative (more like 550 lbs.) but realistic to stay within. I wanted to have a full width bumper mounted carrier which I could not find. It had to be large enough to accommodate a box into which I could carry my two 2000 watt generators, Winegard X2 satellite dish, dish tripod, two folding chairs, tools, small Viair compressor and other misc. stuff. I found a smaller Curt hitch mounted carrier that was the right depth (front to back). I purchased two of the Curt racks which come in two pieces which bolt together. I cut the end off one of the rack pieces, drilled a couple of holes and bolted together the rack which was now 3 pieces and within 6 inches of the width of the RV. I used the support bar of the hitch mounts (cut down in length to the width of the rack plus the width of the bumper) and fabricated two more of these bars and drilled holes in one end of these bars spaced apart by the width of the bumper. I fabricated 4 small plates with matching holes to the bars that would go under the bumper. I then took the 2 support straps that came with the Curt rack and modified them plus made two more so they became support bars from the bottom of the bumper to the back edge of the rack. The rack mounts just back of the bumper and the 4 support bars are clamped on top of the bumper with two 5/16 inch x 4 1/2 inch bolts on each bar (thus the rack is supported in 4 places on the bumper and with 4 support straps). I then built a plywood box with a locking top and covered it with a checkered plate foil so it looks like a metal box. The box is the width of the rack less the space for the ladder at the rear of the RV, 22 inches high, and the depth of the Curt rack. I have loaded the box with up to 250 lbs. of gear and traveled over 12,000 miles without a problem. I don't believe it voids the warranty on the bumper or frame. If anyone is interested, contact me and I can send photos and drawings.
    Jim and Sandi
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017Ram2500 Laramie HD 6.4 Hemi Andersen Hitch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
    My 2020 310 GK came with a rear receiver rated for 500 lbs. And I thought the 2019 we looked at also had a receiver.

I'm currently using a Kuat NV 2.0 rack on our rig for our two MTBs.

Best regards,
    Chris
    My 2019 Solitude does not have a bumper but came with a 500lb capacity receiver. I have used it for a 2-bike rack and an alum rack to store 10hp outboard with rolled up inflatable boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave & Sharon
    Macomb, MI
    2020 Solitude 310GK
    2019 Ford F350 Longbed SRW 6.7 Diesel
    Reese M5 20k Puck mounted

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123