User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 310GK as a Full Time Camper

My wife and I will be going to the Tampa RV Show this weekend hopefully to pick out our next home. We are selling our bricks n sticks and plan to take to the open road in a year when we retire. We had been looking at 40’ plus 5er but are concerned that at that length we will be limited to where we can stay. We want to visit many National and State parks across the country. We are trying to stay within the 35’ overall length restrictions for these parks.

Questions for those with a 310 GK and are full timing in them, does the unit seem small? We have not been in one yet so asking for actual owner feedback. We don’t plan on any extreme weather camping, ie. Freezing temps if we can avoid them but definitely think dual pane windows are the way to go, what say you.

How’s the quality of the Solitude products overall? Are the holding up to the rigors of the road? Any suggestions from seasoned full timers is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
    Last edited by Fishrsafe; 01-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the length may keep you from staying IN the park, we've been in 44 states in our 3 1/2 yrs of full-timing and have visited every Nat'l and State Park that we wanted to. We've always been able to find an RV park nearby so we could visit. Since we truly are full-timers, we appreciate the space more than the spot where we are physically parked. YMMV.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
    My wife and I will be going to the Tampa RV Show this weekend hopefully to pick out our next home. We are selling our bricks n sticks and plan to take to the open road in a year when we retire. We had been looking at 40’ plus 5er but are concerned that at that length we will be limited to where we can stay. We want to visit many National and State parks across the country. We are trying to stay within the 35’ overall length restrictions for these parks.

Questions for those with a 310 GK and are full timing in them, does the unit seem small? We have not been in one yet so asking for actual owner feedback. We don’t plan on any extreme weather camping, ie. Freezing temps if we can avoid them but definitely think dual pane windows are the way to go, what say you.

How’s the quality of the Solitude products overall? Are the holding up to the rigors of the road? Any suggestions from seasoned full timers is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
    Hi Pete. Good luck with your search, you've come to a good place to get objective information. As an owner of a 310GK, I'm very familiar with it and my wife and I are currently living in our Solitude for the next 4 months or so. We are not full timers but we do have experience with the Solitude.

I do wonder if you've had any experience RVing, or if this will be your first camper? It matters, because it would give an indication of your experiences and expectations. Although we own a home, we live on a 38 foot Sea Ray boat (a Sundancer 340, hence my screen name) for most of the Sping, Summer and Fall. So for us, the 310GK is plenty big enough, because it's similar in size but more roomier than our boat. Although my preference is to NEVER be in freezing temperatures, Mother Nature has not cooperated this year and we've found ourselves in very cold temperatures (teens) and we've stayed cozy in our Solitude - but we're not new to this and there are precautions to take when cold weather camping that I'll not go into here. We have single pane windows, we use a dehumidifier, and we have no issues with the cold. I would not have double pane windows because I have to be cognizant of my king pin weight while towing because I tow with a single rear wheel 1-ton pickup truck with a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. I don't have enough payload to load my Solitude heavy...if this comment is "Greek" to you then do a search for towing SRW vs. DRW and you can read about managing your truck's payload/owing capabilities for hours.

We are believers in the Solitude line from Grand Design. If I had to buy again, I'd buy the 310GK. I think the quality is very good, however I am handy and don't mind (and even prefer) fixing and maintaining the RV myself. Stuff breaks, and I fix it. It holds up to the abuse of travel better than other RVs that we've owned. I'm sure other manufacturer's products may be better, or more solid for the road, but NOT at the Solitude price point.

You're in the right place to learn what's good and what's not, so I encourage you to keep reading and learning, then pull the trigger and enjoy!!

Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. We just sold our Flagstaff 5er and are looking for a unit that we can full time in while traveling the country. We have a Ram 3500 dually so towing and payloads should not be an issue. We will also be looking at the 344GK to see if it’s a good fit for us and how and where we plan to visit. Folks keep the comments coming, we have looked at many 5e mfg but not Grand Design.

Thanks,

Pete

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked out the 344GK on the GD website. My wife and I both like the layout a lot. The light colored furniture really caught our eye at the RV shows, although our 310GK has the dark furniture. Since you've already got a Ram 3500 dually, either will tow nicely. The 344GK is 2 feet longer and it's in the desk area at the back of the coach. Since I do all of our financial stuff on the road, the desk would be a nice addition, although with a GVWR of 16k I still wouldn't do it with a SRW 3500 Chevy. You're in the catbird seat with some nice options out there. For us, the choice came down to Solitude, or Cardinal from Forest River, or Jayco Pinnacle, although each of those were heavier than the 310GK. Fit and finish was similar for each, BUT Grand Design wins hands down for manufacturer support AFTER the sale. Like I said, I'm an informed RVer, GD owner and I'd make the same choice for my specific situation again.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,

Thanks again for your help, do appreciate it. The more I look at the 344GK I hope they have one at the show. I like the idea of the desk in the rear and the seating area somewhat separated from the kitchen. It’s only a bit over 36’ so it should be able to fit the National Park spaces. Any 344GK owners out there please post up your comments. Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete