Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering Upgrading from reflection to Solitude- is it worth it? Or go to other

So went to the RV show this weekend- and you know what happens there...

Anyways- saw the new 34 foot Solitude- think it’s called the 310gk. Real nice. Same lay out as my reflection- I have the 303. And come in at 32 feet. Don’t want to really go bigger- as we go to a lot of parks that we barely fit as is.

So we have had a lot of problems with our reflection. Just some examples- molding coming off, kitchen sink leak, entertainment center issues, shower door, gas leak at tanks, rear motor for stabilizers, decals peeling/ fading, refrigerator- cracked and mounted poorly, water heater failure, westlake tire blow out w under 2000 miles caused damage. So that’s what I can remember off hand- we aren’t full timers and it’s a 2015.

While walking the show- looked at a lot of brands, like DRV and Redwood- they are nice but when u really look- I found quality issues w them too.

This is our first trailer- is this just how it is? Is it worth it for me to spend 65 grand on a Solitude or just stick w the reflection and keep
    Putting money into it and fixing it? Are the solitudes made better? Our trailer is pretty nice and very comfortable for us. If I keep it I would like to change out the entertainment system- it’s terible.

You all have a good day.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've finally got your trailer sorted it probably would make sense to keep it. You could end up starting over.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedrohedro View Post
    So went to the RV show this weekend- and you know what happens there...

Anyways- saw the new 34 foot Solitude- think it’s called the 310gk. Real nice. Same lay out as my reflection- I have the 303. And come in at 32 feet. Don’t want to really go bigger- as we go to a lot of parks that we barely fit as is.

So we have had a lot of problems with our reflection. Just some examples- molding coming off, kitchen sink leak, entertainment center issues, shower door, gas leak at tanks, rear motor for stabilizers, decals peeling/ fading, refrigerator- cracked and mounted poorly, water heater failure, westlake tire blow out w under 2000 miles caused damage. So that’s what I can remember off hand- we aren’t full timers and it’s a 2015.

While walking the show- looked at a lot of brands, like DRV and Redwood- they are nice but when u really look- I found quality issues w them too.

This is our first trailer- is this just how it is? Is it worth it for me to spend 65 grand on a Solitude or just stick w the reflection and keep
    Putting money into it and fixing it? Are the solitudes made better? Our trailer is pretty nice and very comfortable for us. If I keep it I would like to change out the entertainment system- it’s terible.

You all have a good day.
    Of course YMMV but having had 3 different trailers from three different manufacturers over 15 years along with playing handyman on many, many more for friends, EVERY unit will have issues and ongoing maintenance. It has been stated again and again on this forum that every time you move the unit you are subjecting your “home” to an earthquake. You will always have ongoing maintenance and repair owning an RV of some nature. I researched for a year before ordering our 303rls. I knew for the 1st year I would be if I finding and fixing factory items but I also know that things calm down too. QYou can spend 10x then what you spent on your reflection and Repairs Will still be needed especially when new. While GD has its issues I still say after looking at several other brands, value for the $ for quality and detail you are doing good with GD. Upgrade to the Solitude because you like the features and looks not to get away from fixing things.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If I were buying now, I would, without doubt, be buying a 310. We love everything about it. There is no way I would trade my Reflection 337 in for a new Solitude now though. Never, ever get anywhere near enough for it to make it worth while.

I agree with BB as well. You've about got any kinks worked out! You could have some of the same issues to deal with all over again.

Having said that .... many have done the very same thing. It's all about being happy when camping!

Camp on!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    It has been stated again and again on this forum that every time you move the unit you are subjecting your “home” to an earthquake. .
    Please don't take this wrong as I'm not attacking you. I just want to provide a different perspective.

In many industries that produce a product that will be subjected to environmental elements, stresses, vibrations, etc., it is expected that the engineers take into consideration all these factors in their design and testing. And if they do their homework and job right, all these factors will be mitigated to just about zero. There are airplanes that are subjected to much more stress and vibration than any RV could dream of. And why don't you hear about it? Those things were part of the design and testing and so successful were the engineers, that issues related to vibration are transparent to the customer. An extreme example (since I worked on that program) is the Space Shuttle. The loads, stresses and vibration that engineers had to factor in are off the chart. And there is virtually no failure of systems due to this. So......being an engineer, I've always had a hard time with notions like "it can't be done" or "that's just the way it is" or "that's just the nature of the beast" or........well, you get my drift. In my 38+ year career, I've never seen anything fail, that could be designed NOT to fail.

I'll shut up now.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all wish they were made that well, but we don't pay 150 million dollars for them either.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    Please don't take this wrong as I'm not attacking you. I just want to provide a different perspective.

In many industries that produce a product that will be subjected to environmental elements, stresses, vibrations, etc., it is expected that the engineers take into consideration all these factors in their design and testing. And if they do their homework and job right, all these factors will be mitigated to just about zero. There are airplanes that are subjected to much more stress and vibration than any RV could dream of. And why don't you hear about it? Those things were part of the design and testing and so successful were the engineers, that issues related to vibration are transparent to the customer. An extreme example (since I worked on that program) is the Space Shuttle. The loads, stresses and vibration that engineers had to factor in are off the chart. And there is virtually no failure of systems due to this. So......being an engineer, I've always had a hard time with notions like "it can't be done" or "that's just the way it is" or "that's just the nature of the beast" or........well, you get my drift. In my 38+ year career, I've never seen anything fail, that could be designed NOT to fail.

I'll shut up now.

Tom
    Tom you are 100% correct, unfortunately no one makes an airplane in the under $50k range. Why? Because of the cost and regulations that go into it. Seriously though, while not right, reality is the norm with RV’s short of the custom built million dollar class A’s . I don’t know of any main stream/ mass market manufacturer of trailers in the under $100k range that builds to those standards. I don’t like it but those are the present facts. What choice do we have? Walk away and not spend the $. Then again that means not playing. For me I look for a better then average vendor like GD and then work to better the product myself.... So back to the OP, buying another new unit even upgraded will not guarantee any better experience, no matter what the main stream RV brand...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We all wish they were made that well, but we don't pay 150 million dollars for them either.
    Uhhhhh......you can find a gently used Gulfstream G450 all day in the $20M to $30M range. So don't be so overly dramatic.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Tom you are 100% correct, unfortunately no one makes an airplane in the under $50k range. Why? Because of the cost and regulations that go into it. Seriously though, while not right, reality is the norm with RV’s short of the custom built million dollar class A’s . I don’t know of any main stream/ mass market manufacturer of trailers in the under $100k range that builds to those standards. I don’t like it but those are the present facts. What choice do we have? Walk away and not spend the $. Then again that means not playing. For me I look for a better then average vendor like GD and then work to better the product myself.... So back to the OP, buying another new unit even upgraded will not guarantee any better experience, no matter what the main stream RV brand...
    Listen.....I get that - I really do. However, it has always been in my DNA to look beyond the norm. He's what I know to be true. When I graduated Engineering school (that was when God was a Corporal and my college notes were on Papyrus), the only computer that was capable of running a Finite Element Analysis on a very simplistic problem was a Cray supercomputer housed in some mega buck research center. Same holds true for CFD (computational fluid dynamics). Today, there's junior year Civil Engineering college students running FEA's on their own PC's. And FEA & CFD were once the bane of very complex problems in research centers, but there are NASCAR Engineers utilizing these tools.

My point is that just as the founders of GD decided to push the envelope and break the mold of how RV's were manufactured, trust me - there's gonna be someone that comes along and decides to implement what the auto and other industries did 25 years ago. It's just a matter of time and whether someone has the resolve to do it. But when they do, it'll be a game changer and they'll corner enough market share that they won't have to worry about their competition (for awhile anyways) or the associated manufacturing costs (economies of scale).

But I agree....with how RV's are generally manufactured these days, one cannot be assured of a trouble free unit unless the price point is north of $200K - and that's a crap shoot too.

I return you to your regularly schedule program.

Tom

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get down to it, the only thing being manufactured by Grand Design are the foors, the walls as the roof structure.

The quality issues are so often outside component failures. And Lippert and a couple of companies have a big part of that business.

The component manufacturers are not exactly rich and profitable companies. 2008's business failures of RV companies hit them with a bunch of bankruptcies and the marine manufacturers hit them even harder. And product failures are partially a result of poor manufacturing practices stemming from bad cash flow. While the industry is being fed by aging baby boomers looking for recreation, it still has a long way to go. In the meantime, we owners depend on component companies' quality so we can avoid $110 per hour unreasonable labor rates at our dealers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast