Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike rack on a 303RLS without a factory receiver

I'm considering a few of options in no particular order:

First I'm thinking of installing a frame mount, bolt-on receiver hitch and using an RV rated 2-bike rack mounted to the receiver.

Second I'm considering reinforcing my bumper welds with a pair of these brackets and then installing one of these bike racks

Third is to replace the factory bumper with one of these and then go with the same rack as in the second option.

The negative with the first one is the extra work involved in opening and trimming the belly to get the hitch installed.

The negative with the second option is that it still relies on the structure of the thin bumper to hold the weight of the bikes.

The negative in the third option is the cost and appearance of a bare aluminum bumper. I would guess I could paint it to match the original color.

Anybody have an thoughts to help me decide which way to move?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jk - I am contemplating something similar . . .
    I would like to carry two spare tires with the second one on the back, a place for a generator, two sewer hose storage tubes and maybe better brake lights. But, I might not always want all of this, if travelling/camping close to home and/or wanting to keep the rig as short as possible. So . . . interchangeable rear configurations .

The attachments to the frame (see picture) are thicker wall than the bumper tube and appear to be properly welded to the frame rails. I am thinking of fabricating different rear configurations, cutting off the original bumper tube and creating attachments that would insert into the open ends of the existing rectangular tubes where they would be cross bolted. This would allow fabrication away from the trailer and make different configurations interchangeable.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3823.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS