User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Use a Hitch Extender?

I’m looking for anyone that has used a hitch extender in the past. I need to carry a side by side in my truck bed while towing our travel trailer with the tailgate down. I’ve read as much as I could, and some do it, but some say that they would never do it. I only need about 5 inches or so more length so that the tailgate won’t contact the propane tanks on turns.

I’m looking at the one I attached, hitch adds 7 inches. They have them longer, but my feeling is the shorter I use the better strength it would have. Supposedly, when using one, it reduces your toungue weight capacity by 1/3. In this respect I should be fine. The tow rating for this part is 10,000 lbs, and the toungue weight is 1,000 lbs. I should be right around the listed max toungue weight. I do use a Blue Ox WD Hitch.

This one I attached, is a 2.5 inch reducing to a 2 inch. I could just go with the 2 inch all the way, but the wider sounds stronger to me.

I’ve looked at different options, and without breaking the bank this looks like it would work, but am interested in hearing from experienced users.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3DD5D4F4-191D-4B32-BE02-F5E7C5CE1B89.jpg  
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steve - Have you actually weighed the tongue of your 297? I was shocked at the weight of ours. Nearly 1,600 pounds when loaded for travel!!!! I do have a second AC on the front and three batteries, but even without them I'd be well over the 1,000 pounds you're referencing.

Since we have the exact same trucks and trailers, check out the tag for your receiver hitch on your truck. Here is mine:

If I'm using the 2" adapter for the hitch, it limits me to 1250# with a weight distributing hitch. If I derate this by 1/3, it limits me to 833 pounds which exceeds the 1000 pounds you reference above. So you definitely should use 2-1/2" components in the set up if you elect to go that way.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, I meant to include that I have NOT YET weighed my trailer, but figured I will, maybe this weekend. I’m pretty light with cargo up front, but do realize things add up quickly. I would travel with very little fresh water, and maybe even put one propane tank in the bed of the truck during travel to get it off the tongue if I’m close. If I’m over by a significant amount, I’ll just try to find another route.

As far as the 2.5 and the 2 inch hitch, I don’t know if using the 2.5 to the 2 reducer counts as the 2.5 regarding the higher rating. I did look at that sticker again last night. By the way, I called Blue Ox, and they had nothing that could help. I also spoke with etrailer.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There might be another option for you to consider. A rack that goes on top of the truck bed. This would allow you to keep the tailgate closed. You'd just have to make sure you have enough turning radius for the trailer. I'm putting a link below that shows an example. I purchased my boat loader and rack from them.

http://www.4boysmfg.com/product/sled...-atv-deck.html

With the added weight of the side by side on the truck, you'd certainly want to use the 2-1/2" shank and 2000# bars from Blue Ox.

Here is a picture of my boat on the rack:

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bed rack I like is about $2000. Can’t afford that right now. Considered risers but it would have to be pretty high to bring the rear wheel in 6 inches. Also considering taking tailgate off and mounting two ramps in the truck for the rear wheels of Razor trail to sit on.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently added tongue mount bike rack and needed extra clearance between the truck and the trailer to keep my camper shell from hitting the bikes/rack.

So, I got one of these: Hitch Extender

I'm no expert, but I don't believe you have to take a rating deduction.

-William Newton
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lptxtandem View Post
    I recently added tongue mount bike rack and needed extra clearance between the truck and the trailer to keep my camper shell from hitting the bikes/rack.

So, I got one of these: Hitch Extender

I'm no expert, but I don't believe you have to take a rating deduction.

-William Newton
    Thanks William. I just searched for a longer shank and found this one in attachment. Looks like the holes line up the same as my Blue Ox. This would provide me 5 more inches to extend the trailer from the truck. This may work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B8A5B49C-10F6-45B3-9DB3-3E71F31742CC.jpg  
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    ...considering taking tailgate off...
    I have to take off my tailgate if I want to tow AND have my Honda Goldwing in the truck bed. I didn't want to deal with the length of a crew cab w/long bed as a daily driver, so removing the tailgate is the compromise I had to make.

I have a LoadAll v3 in the truck's bed (see avatar pic) to get my bike up in the bed. It's pricey, but it accommodates loading/unloading rolling items. No electrical or hydraulic parts to break or wear out, either. It does consume ~250lbs of payload, though.

For anyone that may want to know more about the LoadAll, here is a review I posted on the GL1800Riders motorcycle forum: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-gen...ost-1-8-a.html
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve ordered the longer shank from etrailer. Will give five additional inches, which I believe will work. I had to make sure it is capatible with the Blue Ox mechanism regarding the space and size of holes, and it looks like it is after doing research. Thanks for the help.
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dam, sure wish i saw this earlier. I have one of these i want to get rid of. Could of saved you some cash. I got mine from Etrailer too. I have had no issues with mine and i average about 850lbs tongue weight with E2 hitch. First bought the L shaped one then needed the T shaped to get the level right and not worry about it scraping the ground.