Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member looking to buy Solitude for full time

Hello all.

Just joined to site to read and talk to others about the Solitude. I am active duty USMC and am looking at transitioning out sometime in the next 1-2 years depending how the downsizing goes. My wife and I are planning on getting a 5th wheel for full time. We'd stay put in this area (NW Florida) until I get out and then travel the country looking for where we want to buy land and build a house to settle into.

We were set on the Heartland Bighorn models until this past week when we stopped by a dealer that had the Grand Design Solitude. Seems like a very well made trailer and has much more room.

We have a 7 month old son, a new one on the way, and 2 large dogs.

To the point of my post. Is the Solitude built well enough to handle full time living? Does anyone have any first hand experience who can compare the two companies / models as far as holding up to full timing, comfort, insulation, etc?

Thanks for the help and any advice you can offer.

sjegee1
    We were also originally looking at the bighorns, but once we saw the Solitude, that was it for us. We had researched and looked at all the Bighorn models, and the Solitude will hold up much better, by far. We now own the 369rl, and love it. We do not full time in it, but hope to do a lot of extended length trips in it. The construction and material is much better than the Bighorn in my opinion. We almost bought the bighorn, and stumbled on the Solitude on vacation in Tennessee.
    Good luck in your search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daehawc,

We have had our Solitude for a year now. We don't full time but spend ALOT of time in it. Over 5000 miles and 100 days. My wife and I agree that we would have no problem going full time in it. We have close friends with a 40ft Montana and are full time. When they saw the Solitude (even though they like the Montana), they wish they would have gone with the Solitude. More room and better floor plan. We have a large dog and the floor in the Solitude is VERY durable to withstand the dog and (in your case, the kids too).
    Good luck in your search for the right RV but IMO, you won't find a better product to own or a better company (Grand Design) to make your ownership experience the best it can be.

Thanks for your service,
    Andy & Julie
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Daehawc!

We have had our Solitude 369RL for a year now and have no complaints. We don't full time yet, but will be soon and have no reservations about doing it in our Solitude.

Steve

mandolin57
    Daehawc,
    We are in a position similar to you in preparing to full-time. We are planning on going in a few years but purchasing our fiver end of this year. After extensive research....and I mean extensive between looking at many dealers and internet comparisons...we have no hesitation to go with the Solitude. They seem to us to be some of the sturdiest construction with features like the heated tanks, leveling system and many other added benefits. I would really advise you to go for it. We trust them completely and can't wait to get ours! PS...we have a large dog too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daehawc, welcome to the forums.

We did not buy our Solitude with the intention of going full time but we do plan on being on the road for months at the time. We felt we needed an extended stay camper because it would hold up better. At first, we considered the Bighorn 3260 Elite. We were very close to buying the Bighorn, but then discovered Solitude. We are so glad we did. There's no doubt in our minds that we could live in the Solitude. The comfort, quality, and price really makes it a great choice!

Good luck with your decision.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

wschoonv
    We have been full time since Jan 4th of this year....it's been cold and hot and been comfortable every single day LOL