User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

You go through training, you learn it all...and then.

Let me start with - I am a licensed Commercial Truck Driver with all the endorsements. I know better... But:

Last week, I did my yearly hitch maintenance, including pulling the head from the hitch and lubing it up. I put it back on, there were no issues. I was hitching up for our trip to the lake, and backed into the bed, got out, check and adjusted clearance to the hitch, and backed in. I heard the familiar CLUNK as I backed into the hitch...but something wasn't right. I got out, looked at the hitch, the lever was closed, and I put the safety pin into it. I walked to the back, inserted the plug, and closed the tailgate. I went to the control panel and retracted my gear. Turned on the headlights, and flashers, and did my safety walk around. Everything checked out. Lugs, lights, steps, latches...all good. We got in the truck, started to pull away, and WHAM!!!

The Pin Box crushed my tailgate.

What did I do wrong? I didn't hear the right sound from the hitch as it closed. You know what it is supposed to sound like for your hitch. I do for mine. Hundreds of times I have done it. I ignored a warning flag. I did not tug test the connection once I thought it was secure. Thirdly, when I put the umbilical cord into the bed, before I closed the tailgate, I did not look to see if my jaws were closed around the king pin.

Why did I miss it? I got complacent. My B&W hitch is a rock star. It never fails, and it didn't this time either. When I did my hitch maintenance, I did something I never do; I closed the jaws as I put the head back on and fastened it. I always leave the jaws open. Except the time I didn't.

I hope this helps.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yikes Buddy. Much damage to the truck? Just the tailgate?

Jim

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Just the tailgate. Thankfully there was no damage to the bed.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer Chris. As a fellow (former) commercial driver, I know very well the tug test. Never know when evil doers would tug the handle just for "fun".

What do you primarily haul?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris- OUCH ! No damage to the RV and P/U other than the tail gate and ego abit......could have been much worse and many know it well.

The first year we had our 303 and were taking out of winter storage the building owner was helping and when he heard our hitch click he yelled you got it. However, the click did not sound right to me as our hitch normally does a click and then clunk after backing another inch or so where the handle retracts and the jaw wraps all the way around the pin. Thank goodness I got out of the truck to check and averted possible damage.

I usually just raise the front landing gear a few inches after hitching (learned from this forum) so if the hitch was not hooked during the tug test (I still have the wheel chocks between the RV tires too) the RV would not drop but rather the truck suspension would simply just rebound a bit thus not resulting in an ugly marriage between truck and RV. Now, I said I usually do this.......I may need to get back to doing this all the time !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I did not look to see if my jaws were closed around the king pin...
    Chris

Sorry to hear your troubles Chris.

Being a former aviator I love my check lists. One of the "always do this not matter what" checks is to visually inspect the hitch jaws. My hitch doesn't go clunk, so the visual inspection is the only method of insuring the hitch is connected properly. It's dark in there, so I have to turn on my phone flash light to see it properly. What a hassle, but I do it every singe time.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your painful story Chris. I usually double check everything before pulling away (and my wife does as well). But, it's just a matter of time before I do something like this. I know it's coming! Hope the repairs make your truck just like new.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Sorry to hear your troubles Chris.

Being a former aviator I love my check lists. One of the "always do this not matter what" checks is to visually inspect the hitch jaws. My hitch doesn't go clunk, so the visual inspection is the only method of insuring the hitch is connected properly. It's dark in there, so I have to turn on my phone flash light to see it properly. What a hassle, but I do it every singe time.
    My wife and I are fellow aviators so we also love our checklists. We have checklists for most routine events. When we leave for a trip we both review home checklist, AC thermostats set, Water Main Off, Water heater breaker off, Alarm set, Doors locked.

If you fly with me you will here me say "gear down, green lights" out loud at least 3 times on final approach.

I have an "RV preflight procedure" that I do every time. If I get interrupted I start it all over again.

I know I have 6 items to verify proper hitching of my Andersen hitch. I point and count them as I do final verification.

1- verify coupler lock is pushed in and twisted to locked position
    2- Umbilical cord is plugged in
    3- left safety chain connected
    4- right safety chain connected
    5- break away cable connected
    6- Tailgate up and latched
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    My wife and I are fellow aviators so we also love our checklists. We have checklists for most routine events. When we leave for a trip we both review home checklist, AC thermostats set, Water Main Off, Water heater breaker off, Alarm set, Doors locked.

If you fly with me you will here me say "gear down, green lights" out loud at least 3 times on final approach.

I have an "RV preflight procedure" that I do every time. If I get interrupted I start it all over again.

I know I have 6 items to verify proper hitching of my Andersen hitch. I point and count them as I do final verification.

1- verify coupler lock is pushed in and twisted to locked position
    2- Umbilical cord is plugged in
    3- left safety chain connected
    4- right safety chain connected
    5- break away cable connected
    6- Tailgate up and latched
    Check lists are great tools. The problem is when you get lazy with the check list.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your tailgate Chris but let me share something with you and maybe it well make you feel a little better.

I park our 5er in our back yard next to a small shop (16X26). It is kind of hard to cut it back into its spot, not a straight shot and have to watch not to hit the house on the left side and shop on the right. I have backed a 37' 8.5' wide MH into this position and have in the past put a 30' 5th with a LB CC Ford F350 and did not have any problems. I have parked the 303 in here previously and have not had a problem. Now we have not even used our 303 yet and I had to take it to the dealer for some items one being the Dexter axles leaking grease. When I brought it home I fought it and fought it trying to get it in this spot. The shop is on my blind side and I have to also turn the 5er to the right. Now I have a SB Mega cab and a dually. So to make this shorter than the Ford, after many tries with my wife watching for me I ended up tapping the 5er into the roof of the shop. No damage to the roof just a little shingle damage. On the very rear of the 5er I scratched the fiberglass a little and got the awning arm a little. (I have since touched up the pant on the awning arm). I was so mad at myself. We just had rain and I got off the pad some and sunk in some and I don't know it I got a sprinkler head or not. Spring will tell the rest of this.

The pad is only 12' wide and some of that space it taken up with the eaves of the shop. My wife is already telling me we are adding about 3 to 4' of width to the pad and about 7' in length this spring. I guess it doesn't make much difference if I got the sprinkler head or not as it would have to be moved anyways. I can feel it in the billfold already. I bet when mine is all said and done mine will be more expensive than yours.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast