Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From an Airstream to a Grand Design (maybe?)

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, we live in the Pacific Northwest. My husband and I currently have a 2013 30' Airstream Classic trailer, and we're thinking of selling it and buying a Grand Design travel trailer. The model we're interested in is a Reflection 315RLTS. Of course I have many questions - starting with "does the 315RLTS model designator have any meaning?" I figured out "31" is the length, but beyond that I don't know.

We are pulling the Airstream with a GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD (Diesel). We are fairly certain our towing vehicle will pull the 315RLTS just fine. I'm wondering...has anybody made the switch from an Airstream to a Grand Design - and why? For us, we just decided we wanted more room. We've only been RV'ing for four years and not full-time. When we considered switching to another brand, we did a ton of research and found the Grand Design to have a reputation for quality. Do you all agree with that? Obviously that is why we bought the Airstream. In the years since we've owned the Airstream, we have not had any problems with it, other than minor irritants. The worst was a broken mirror, and it was quickly fixed. It helps that we live only a few miles from our local Airstream dealer, so warranty work was never a problem.

Anyway, we just saw the 315RLTS this past weekend, and we like it! I was hoping to tour the 297RSTS, but the dealer in Mt Vernon did not have one in stock. From what I can tell, the biggest difference between the two models is the refrigerator and smaller length? True? Or is there more to it than that?

But here's a few more questions:

--We're thinking of ordering instead of buying what's currently on the lot. Any thoughts on this? Our main reason is because we want a 2nd A/C (which the dealer says they can install), but we also want dual-pane windows and are considering not ordering the dining room table and chairs. I just thought it would be fun to purchase our own table & chairs, but is this recommended?

--Given that we have never used slide-outs, what are the pros/cons of slide-outs? I'm sure there are downsides to having a slide-out, but we're just not sure what they are.

--I was reading here that it's difficult to level the trailer. The refrigerator only works when it's completely level. That's never been a problem with the Airstream, but is that something to be concerned about?

--When we bought the Airstream, we had to buy tons of stuff for it (generator, surge protector, and on and on). Are we going to be going through that again, or will we be able to use everything in the Grand Design?

--What about dry-camping? How is the Grand Design for dry-camping.

I have more questions of course, but I don't want to inundate you with all of them right now. Thank you in advance for your help. This seems like a fun and helpful group. I appreciate you letting me a member.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!
    I cannot answer your questions... as we ourselves are new to all of this. But we ordered the 315RLTS back in late Nov, and in about 2, or 3, maybe 4 weeks we will have ours. We ordered, mainly because of your first question.. the 2nd AC, the dual pane windows, and we did not want the table/chairs, but rather the dinette. In all our research, and because we wanted these specifics, the only option for us was to order. I guess I'm fussy.

I have found this forum to be most helpful. With everything! We will begin our full-timing late spring/early summer time frame, and we cannot wait to get out there on the road, and meet some of these wonderful folks.

Hope this helps some...
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent4fun View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, we live in the Pacific Northwest. My husband and I currently have a 2013 30' Airstream Classic trailer, and we're thinking of selling it and buying a Grand Design travel trailer. The model we're interested in is a Reflection 315RLTS. Of course I have many questions - starting with "does the 315RLTS model designator have any meaning?" I figured out "31" is the length, but beyond that I don't know.

We are pulling the Airstream with a GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD (Diesel). We are fairly certain our towing vehicle will pull the 315RLTS just fine. I'm wondering...has anybody made the switch from an Airstream to a Grand Design - and why? For us, we just decided we wanted more room. We've only been RV'ing for four years and not full-time. When we considered switching to another brand, we did a ton of research and found the Grand Design to have a reputation for quality. Do you all agree with that? Obviously that is why we bought the Airstream. In the years since we've owned the Airstream, we have not had any problems with it, other than minor irritants. The worst was a broken mirror, and it was quickly fixed. It helps that we live only a few miles from our local Airstream dealer, so warranty work was never a problem.

Anyway, we just saw the 315RLTS this past weekend, and we like it! I was hoping to tour the 297RSTS, but the dealer in Mt Vernon did not have one in stock. From what I can tell, the biggest difference between the two models is the refrigerator and smaller length? True? Or is there more to it than that?

But here's a few more questions:

--We're thinking of ordering instead of buying what's currently on the lot. Any thoughts on this? Our main reason is because we want a 2nd A/C (which the dealer says they can install), but we also want dual-pane windows and are considering not ordering the dining room table and chairs. I just thought it would be fun to purchase our own table & chairs, but is this recommended?

--Given that we have never used slide-outs, what are the pros/cons of slide-outs? I'm sure there are downsides to having a slide-out, but we're just not sure what they are.

--I was reading here that it's difficult to level the trailer. The refrigerator only works when it's completely level. That's never been a problem with the Airstream, but is that something to be concerned about?

--When we bought the Airstream, we had to buy tons of stuff for it (generator, surge protector, and on and on). Are we going to be going through that again, or will we be able to use everything in the Grand Design?

--What about dry-camping? How is the Grand Design for dry-camping.

I have more questions of course, but I don't want to inundate you with all of them right now. Thank you in advance for your help. This seems like a fun and helpful group. I appreciate you letting me a member.
    Welcome to the forum Mrs. Kent4Fun. Let me take a shot at your questions.

Preface: I've owned two GDRV products. A 2014 337RLS FW, and our current 2017 297RSTS.

First of all, you will most likely experience some "minor irritants" with a Grand Design product too. But if you're patient, they offer great customer service and will get them taken care of. If you are inclined to do any of your own work, they'll help you with parts too.

The main difference for me between the 297 and the 315 is space and storage. The 297 has an outside refrigerator, stove and television in the curb side slide. This takes away from inside kitchen storage. If lots of storage is important to you, the 315 fills the bill better.

I ordered both of my units because I wanted something special. If you want dual pane windows, it's unlikely you'll find one at a dealer. It typically takes 5-10 weeks to get one built to your specifications and delivered.

Slide outs give you SO much more floor space. It makes the unit more spacious when you're set up for camping. On the negative side, they can get in the way of items like the refrigerator if you want to stop for a quick break on the road. They also require a wider parking space when you set up camp.

I find the trailer leveling quite easy actually. I use a Level-Mate-Pro which sends a message to my phone and lets me know exactly how much I need to elevate the wheels on one side. I pull forward onto Andersen levelers and insert the chocks. That takes about 60 seconds. Then, after unhooking, I raise or lower the tongue jack until level. Put down the stabilizers, and I'm level from start to finish in about 3-5 minutes.

You can use all your ancillary equipment with your GD unit too.

I use my 297RSTS dry camping for about two months every year. It serves us well. I did install a solar charging system and inverter to make it more user friendly and cut down generator run time.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lynette & Steve, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. Good to know I'm not the only "fussy" person around here. We hope to see you some day "out on the road".

Jim--thank you! I appreciate you responding to my questions. So glad to hear the Grand Design customer service is good. That was going to be one of my next questions. It is very important to know the manufacturer stands behind their products, and that they are responsive!

As for the difference between the 297 and the 315 - I didn't realize there was an outside TV and kitchen appliances. Really? So the 297 includes 2 television sets? I was really surprised the 315 didn't include the second TV as standard. But that's OK, we ended up upgrading both our televisions in our Airstream, so I'm sure we'll do the same.

Oh..I read somewhere the stereo system wasn't "all that". True? Does it play CD, DVD (including bluetooth) and radio (AM/FM). We have a sound bar in the Airstream, but are we going to have to invest in a different sound system?

Good information on the slide outs. The bathroom is available, so that's the important thing.

You mentioned you installed an inverter. Doesn't this model include an inverter? Or did you just buy a better one.

Again Jim, thank you for being so helpful

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kent4fun - we purchased our 315RLTS from the same dealer in Mount Vernon almost exactly 1 year ago.

As far as the 315 meaning anything, it could reflect the square footage. My measurements come to about that number with the slides extended. It does not reflect length. The 315RLTS is just under 38ft long including the tongue, the box is 35ft.

Your Denali should tow this trailer quite nicely. Be sure to get a hitch that will handle the tongue weight of this trailer. TW can exceed 1500 lbs.

We had some issues with our trailer. Grand Design has taken care of two of the issues I had, namely leaky brake seals and a furnace issue. I had other very minor issues. Grand Design has stepped up with great customer service. I'm not sure I would put GD on the same level as Airstream but then again, you're not paying Airstream prices.

One of the biggest differences IMHO, between the 297RSTS and the 315RLTS is the bedroom. The 315 has a slide out for the bed and an enormous closet up front, along with a chest of drawers and another wardrobe along with its own drawers. It is roomy. We went back and forth between these two for hours. The bedroom, storage and window orientation are what tipped us to the 315. The 297 is a beautiful trailer and is 4 feet shorter. I was worried about the extra length but so far haven't had any issues.

We ordered the second A/C and I highly recommend it. It's a big trailer, lots of area to cool. It's also nice to run A/C in the bedroom while you're in the living area and vice versa for noise considerations. If you order without table and chairs you will get the standard booth dinette. I don't know if they'll leave the booth out so you can buy your own table and chairs. Be aware the table has to be the proper size so it doesn't hit the island when closing the slide. Also be aware the 315 has 2000lbs of cargo carrying capacity. The second A/C and dual pane windows will eat in to that.

As Jim said, the slides are what give you the space you want, really opens it up. They are an electro/mechanical device and can have issues. I've had none with this trailer nor my previous one.

The gray tank capacity is nice for dry camping. You can equip the 315 to enhance dry camping as Jim has done. My plan is to install more batteries and use my lightweight Honda generators for occasional dry camping, along with a "suitcase" solar charger. The down side of the 315 is its size. It's a lotta trailer to take offroad into tight places.
    Good luck with your search. We really love our 315 and if you purchase one I'm sure you will too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Airstream in the past has been reputed as one of the highest quality RV's made. I have never owned one. In my uninformed opinion GD products come close but don't quite reach airstream quality. So in looking at a GD TT take second and third looks at the components. If there was some need for the change I personally would not hesitate to purchase a GD TT, but then I have never owned an airstream.

Slide out technology has advance pretty well. Most of the old problems have long been solved. They do add extra living space. They do have some minor maintenance. Overall they work well with few problems.

It is best to have the refrigerator level, however I have never had that issue ,and sometimes we are at enough of a slant that we have put the pillows where the feet should go so we aren't sleeping upside down. I wouldn't get to excited about this issue. Low probability.

Airstream stuff will work on GD TT, no need to repurchase your favorite stuff.

We are in a different class of RV, but GD products are set up with boondocking (primitive camping) in mind.

Really think hard about dropping the Airstream TT for a GD TT. Pause a moment and explore the 5th wheel class. You gain so much more with a 5th wheel and they are easier to tow.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    297RSTS

Great information, thank you all! You've eased most of my concerns. We are not 100% ready to go for the Grand Design, I really do like our Airstream. But all that extra space is just hard to resist.

I have a few more questions:
    --Does it include an installed inverter? If so, what size?
    --Stereo system? What brand and model #? Is it a good one?
    --Batteries? How many batteries are installed? My husband seems to recall the salesman told us it has only one battery. Is that true?

Thank you again for your patience with all my questions. You are all so kind, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kent4fun, welcome to the forum !!

In regards to the fridge needing to be level: If your Airstream has an RV fridge (absorption unit that can run on propane), then that needs to be fairly level just like the GD fridges......and might even use some of the same models. The fluids in the system need to flow by gravity. It is more important that the fridge be fairly level side to side, and front to back less important.

Airstreams have the reputation of being in a class of their own.....with a price to reflect that. But for rest of the RV industry that includes lesser priced units, I think GD is at the top of the game with those.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No inverter. I installed a 2k watt pure sine unit.

Stereo system was a Furrion, but changes from time to time.

Your dealer will likely install one group 27 battery. The battery rail will hold two. I welded an a additional rack onto the A-frame for a third battery.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fellow shopper's thoughts...

When we considered switching to another brand, we did a ton of research and found the Grand Design to have a reputation for quality. Do you all agree with that? Obviously that is why we bought the Airstream.
    My wife and I haven't owned either of these, but we have looked at both extensively--and recently. We really like Grand Design (GD), but Airstream is at another level. The bathroom in the new 33' Airstream is incredible. My point is I recommend not trying to compare the two. IMO both are very good at their price point. (You can buy almost three of the 315s for the price of one 33' Airstream!)

The 315 has an almost perfect (IMO) living room/kitchen setup. The seating is on the campside of the trailer. The 297 is very nice, but no pantry and the seating is on the utility side of the trailer. Finally, the head of the bed in the 297 is between two cabinets. My wife is very claustrophobic and that setup is a "no go" for her. The 315's bed is in the slide and has more room. Finally, did you see that the outside storage is accessible from the bedroom closet? A small example of the thoughtful GD features they put in their trailers.

What's not perfect? Wish they could do away with the carpet in the living room and make the floor full linoleum like the Highland Ridge Open Range trailers.

Given that we have never used slide-outs, what are the pros/cons of slide-outs? I'm sure there are downsides to having a slide-out, but we're just not sure what they are.
    Perhaps the biggest difference you're not considering is the instant access you have to all of the Airstream when you stop. Have you looked at the 315 with the slides pulled in? If I remember right, you can access the bathroom but that's about it. This isn't a negative, just a difference you might want to consider.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast