Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another hitch question

Background: Have 2013 CC Ford F250, 4x4, long bed with the camper package which includes the extra heavy service front springs, auxiliary rear springs and read stabalizer bar. Should handle the 303 with ease. I have ordered the B&W BVK3300 (typing from memory, if I got this number wrong, don't worry I double checked and did order the correct hitch ) hitch to fit my factory installed 5th wheel hitch (puck system).

Truck Numbers: Highest Point Tailgate) = 54.5 inches. From ground to bed of truck = 34.5 inches.

Question: The Reflection 303FLS when level has an overhang of 61.5 inches, correct? My truck side rails at the highest point, tailgate, is 54.5 inches, giving me the minimum 6 inch clearance.
    Question: The king pin plate is set at 49.5 inches, correct? The truck bed measures at the bottom to ground at 34.5 inches. If I install the hitch so the plate is at 51.5 inches, this would give me the 49.5 inches to kingpin plus 2 inch sag. Am I missing anything here? Just trying to get the hitch setup prior to picking up the new trailer.

Please chime in with any issues seen with my probable setup, any corrections that will need to be made, and any other concerns/comments. I have pulled travel trailers since 1975, this will be my very first 5th wheel, and at my age (yes I am THAT old ), probably my last trailer. You guys/girls are great here, look forward to many years of information from this forum and possibly meeting some of you later in life.

On another note, anybody got a written hookup checklist they want to post? What do you use under the front landing gear when setting up camp/storage? I currently have the plastic blocks under the tougue of the trailer, will they be steady/safe enough?

Thanks,
    Don

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is like the math question, two trains leave opposite stations at the same time, one is going 58 mph and the other is going 62kph, one has to stop and pick up 16 monkeys....dude, I'm lost. I hope someone with experience has good answer for you. Good luck and I can't wait to see the answer.
    Mike and Suzanne with Smokey and Bandit
    Travel in Tumbleweed
    Reflection 303
    2013 Ram 2500 (Black Pearl), 4 x 4, Crew Cab, Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel. 6 Speed Auto
    PullRite 15K SuperGlide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your calculations look correct...2" suspension compression is a good assumption to use to determine the hitch height that you need in your truck.

I know our 337 king pin plate was 49.5" on level ground...I not sure that the 303 is the same or not. I have a 2008 F250 and it's also about 54.5" at the tailgate and I have about 9" of clearance above the bed rails.

As far as blocks under the landing gear, I've made ones using 14" lengths of 4x4 pressure treated wood attached together in pairs with a rope handle.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear D.jpg  
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweeds View Post
    So this is like the math question, two trains leave opposite stations at the same time, one is going 58 mph and the other is going 62kph, one has to stop and pick up 16 monkeys....dude, I'm lost.
    You need to know what kind of monkeys they are and what they're wearing!

Dave

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monkeys are Baby Pygmy Marmosets. Monkeys are wearing tuxedos and carrying a cane. Each has one checked piece of luggage and one carry-on. How long will it take to board the train? When the trains reach the destination, will all the monkeys have their luggage waiting? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seriously, thanks for the input, I thought I would be OK.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave
    I am a first time fifth wheel user, why do you put wood blocks under the landing gear.

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan & Brandy
    Billings MT
    2013 2500HD Chevy Duramax
    2014 Reflection 303rls #33

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTCampers View Post
    Hi Dave
    I am a first time fifth wheel user, why do you put wood blocks under the landing gear.

Thanks
    Dan
    Welcome to the forum!

For a few reasons. They have a larger area than the landing gear feet so it's better on softer ground; they reduce the length that the gear have to be extended and thereby improve the stability of the camper; extreme examples where due to the unlevelness of the site, you just wouldn't have enough travel.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Dan!

Danwright7
    Luckeyd1, well, after reading all this you must be very confused. Its very simple, both the king pin and the 5th wheel hitch are adjustable, you choose how much space you want between the top of the bed rails and the bottom of the underside of your rig. I have about 6" on mine.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the hitch setup as I explained in first post, hooked up to trailer at dealer, perfect. Have over 6 inches clearance between bottom of trailer and rails on side/back of truck. Looks level, truck did not squat a bit. Mechanic at dealer was very impressed with my setup/truck. Said I must know something about all this as he had never had one come in that owner installed and did not have to help adjust something. On our shakedown trip, actually just a short jaunt across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to the Eastern Shore of VA. Cherrystone Campground. Almost got blowed away Tuesday night, winds in excess of 70MPH and rain. Trailer performed flawlessly in this. Only thing I have found with the trailer is a small leak at the drain connection in bathroom sink, tightened, will see how it holds up remainder of trip. Other thing is the trim piece on the floor kitchen slide is loose, it came off the small nails holding it to the floor. Currently have it secured with good old duct tape. Tuesday it goes back to dealer to get 3 slide toppers installed and a bedroom A/C installed. Other than that, it has been perfect.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L