User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle for 303RLS?

Hi Folks-

New to this forum, and a prospective GD Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel owner here. My wife and I are looking to upgrade from our current small 20-foot TT pulled by a Pathfinder SUV, to a long term (and maybe even full time!) life in the 303RLS.

I am looking for a sanity check on my estimates of proper tow vehicle capacity for the 303RLS, trying to choose between a 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickup, likely the Ford F250/F350 family, with the 6.7L diesel. If possible, providing it has sufficient margin, I would like to use an F-250 as the TV, specifically a Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Single Rear Wheel (SRW), 4x4 model. I mention the margin, as we do expect to be eventually driving this out west, crossing over the Rockies, Sierra’s, and Cascades mountains, among others.

So…from GD web site, the 2017 303RLS shows these figures:

Average Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) 9195 lbs
    GVWR 11,995 lbs…let’s call it 12,000.
    Hitch Weight (I assume this is same as pin weight, and in unloaded condition?) 1660 lbs

My assumption: Figure I should disregard the above hitch weight number, and use a conservative estimate of loaded trailer pin weight at 25% of GVWR is 3,000 lbs- is this assumption right? Using 20%, this would drop to a comfortable 2400 lbs.

I have a copy of Ford’s 2016 Super Duty Truck sales booklet showing the figures below. I do not yet have an idea of the door safety sticker numbers like Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) or the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR), and there are not really any vehicles in stock at dealers near me where I can visit and check these stickers.

F250, Crew cab, SRW, 4x4, Diesel, 3.55 axle ratio:
    15,100 lbs max. 5th Wheel loaded trailer weight rating
    3,000 lbs max. payload weight in the 9,900 GVWR model.

Just using the above, it would appear that there is sufficient towing capacity margin using an F250, but close to the limit capacity in the truck bed payload. However, looking at this site for the app “RV Tow Check” (http://fifthwheelst.com/2016-three-q...ck-towing.html), it indicates that the 5th wheel “realistic towing capacity” for an F250, crew cab, diesel, 4x2 is 11,045 lbs…and of course a 4x4 would be somewhat less. This would indicate that an F-250 would be a bad choice.

Browsing the forum members signature info on their rigs, I see that a number do in fact pull the 303RLS with either a F-250 or a Silverado 2500. (One reason I was opting for Ford vs. Silverado is that Silverado’s published max. payload is 2,583 lbs. for the 2500HD Crew Cab, Standard Box, 4x4 Duramax diesel.)

So my key question is: 3/4-ton or 1-ton? I have browsed through quite a lot of this forum looking to see if this question had already been answered, but could not find it. Trying to do all the right homework before pulling the trigger, but am an admitted newbie to this, and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops! So now that I have registered, I see what was hidden from me before registering...a Reflection Tow Vehicle sub-forum that already exists.

Mods, please move this inquiry over there, thanks. Sorry about that!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK here comes MHO....F350. I just returned home from the Grand Design Rally where I had my rig weighed (each wheel). My truck (2013 F250, 6.7 diesel, CC, short bed, King Ranch 4x4 with air bags, 20" wheels, 45 gal aux fuel tank) and 303RLS were loaded for travel.
    The results Pin wt=2150#, truck wt=8950#, 303 wt=10,650#, GCW=19,600; bottom line I am 1000# over my 10K GVW on my truck, so I need to go on a diet and reduce my pin weight and stuff I haul in my truck. The tire loads were all OK. I would go for the F350. I've pulled this rig all over the country and it has never caused any issues. I had this truck before we decided on the 303 and I knew it would be pushing the limits. Next one will be a F350. Good luck

edit: welcome to the GD forum

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, lots of info here.
    There are already a couple of established threads dealing with this issue, check out "DRW vs SRW".
    The price between a 3/4 ton and 1 ton are about the same, but increase your capacity a lot.

Once you buy the truck you probably will want to add a tool box/fuel combo, plus you have to add all the
    junk in your tool box and the weight of the hitch.

You need to be sure of pin weight plus all the above weight, this is where most folks get in an
    over weight situation.

Also, is this going to be the final trailer for you, or after a couple years and you start full timing are you wanting something
    bigger?

If this is even a remote possibility, go with a Dually. Once you get the truck you can't get a bigger trailer if you are close on
    any weights.

Good luck
    Seth and Becca
    2016 RAM Longhorn 3500 DRW "Brown Beast"
    2017 Momentum 376TH "Tajmahauler"
    2007 Road King "The Girlfriend"

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdelejw5x.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to buy a new truck there is no reason to not go with a 1 ton truck. What's Nike say... Just do it.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really believe the training wheels on a one ton make for a more stable ride. True, they are a little bit of an inconvenience, but it doesn't take long to adapt
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Knowing what I know now, I would never buy a 3/4 tone truck again. There's no real point. You can still stay with a short bed and SRW but why not spend the very little in up charge to get the 1 ton. I absolutely love my current truck and can't afford to upgrade but I wish upon wish that someone would have told me to get the 1 ton years ago when I bought this.

You just never know what the future may bring. Now some will say that with that advice you might as well get the DRW too. There's some wisdom there for sure but I can't have a DRW so that cancels that

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a 2017 f250 might be able to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    Looks like a 2017 f250 might be able to do the job.

15,100 towing but payload is close at 3300-3400.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too just weighed my 303 and 2014 Ram 2500 diesel-like Chuck said earlier, I was 750# over on the rear of the truck, and our trailer was 10,750# loaded like we always travel. Our pin weight was 2150#. I don't have room at home for a duelly so I'm fine with my current truck and the 303.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast