Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring Purpose on Tank Circuit Board (Convenience Center)

Hello Members,

I'm changing out the convenience center system for the SeeLevel II system. In doing that, I need to clarify what the yellow and pink wires are coming from the circuit board. In the third picture, you can see a color and function sticker on the back of the circuit board. These reference the harness/plug which are smaller gauge wires that run to each tank sensors, the ground, and battery (power). The two other wires connect directly to the board are pink and yellow. The second picture shows the wiring they connect to on the RV wiring harness. I suspect they are for the "Water Pump" & "DSI Fault" LEDs you can see in the first picture. I've researched this to exhaustion and can't find one other circuit board with this configuration nor can find the manufacturer of the board. First, when do the "Water Pump" & "DSI Fault" LEDs light up? I understand that the "DSI Fault" lights up anytime the gas is trying to ignite, but not sure. I didn't notice the LED light up for the water pump the limited time I've used it. So, I have limited guesses here,but could use some experienced answers. Trying to figure out how to deal with those two wires once the SeeLevel II is in place. Cap or make another LED bulb location for them. Thanks for any help offered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150416_21_51_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	1968

Name:	WIRES.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1969

Name:	Back.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1970

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSI fault means the water heater failed to ignite in three successive attempts, this comes from the ignition control board in the heater which will also lock out the gas solenoid until reset.
    Water pump light is just as it suggests, that the water pump in the on board fresh water storage is turned on.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    DSI fault means the water heater failed to ignite in three successive attempts, this comes from the ignition control board in the heater which will also lock out the gas solenoid until reset.
    Water pump light is just as it suggests, that the water pump in the on board fresh water storage is turned on.
    As such, capping the DSI should be fine. Where is this solenoid reset button? I've read where this may come on as a result of air in the gas system and bleeding through the stove should clear the air. Then simply re-try the water heater, but found no mention of pushing a reset. The pump should be as simple as getting a lighted switch and using it much like the water heater switches. Thoughts?

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most units today do not employ a reset button. The reset is turning it off for few seconds which interrupts power to the ignition controller and starts the ignition sequence again when you turn it back on. Some older models do require a manual reset and the button is outside at the ignition controller.

Air in the gas line will certainly keep it from igniting but there are other issues. The entire purpose of this feature is to prevent the gas valve from being open when ignition fails so you are not continuously dumping propane that isn't combusting. If you cap off the light how will you know that the ignition failed? Nothing that says you cant install a separate led light in there somewhere.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 04-17-2015 at 09:41 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most units today do not employ a reset button. The reset is turning it off for few seconds which interrupts power to the ignition controller and starts the ignition sequence again when you turn it back on. Some older models do require a manual reset and the button is outside at the ignition controller.

Air in the gas line will certainly keep it from igniting but there are other issues. The entire purpose of this feature is to prevent the gas valve from being open when ignition fails so you are not continuously dumping propane that isn't combusting. If you cap off the light how will you know that the ignition failed? Nothing that says you cant install a separate led light in there somewhere.
    First, I'd like to say thank you Justin for responding and being so helpful. In my Cameo, there was no DSI fault light. I could hear the tank fire up though. Not sure on this one. I can't see the system constantly dumping propane. As you say, it seems a solenoid should cut off till reset. Is this not the case? Gina and I seldom ever use the gas function as our mode of travel puts us in CGs with electric. Still, it's nice to have for sure and my preference is to have a light for the fault. But, not having it also seems to be an option. Just an option. FYI, online, I couldn't hardly find a board with DSI fault. I do have a small led light somewhere and I think I can add it near the switch for gas. I tried to find it last night, but unsuccessfully. I sure appreciate the back and forth. I'm all for learning and am not a know-it-all, so no one has to hold back with me. The more, the better. :O)

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There shouldnt be an issue adding a seperate 12V led for the DSI (also known as remote lock out. Just need a wiring digram for your particular water heater. If its the atwood Gas/electric as mine is the wire coming from the controller is a blue wire that just needs to have that connected to the positive side of the LED and the other side of the LED to ground. From looking at what you are holding in your hand I would bet those are precisely those two wires with the green that is terminated to yellow being the ground and the blue terminated to pink being the DSI.

http://bryantrv.com/images/atwoodwhschematic.png

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There shouldnt be an issue adding a seperate 12V led for the DSI (also known as remote lock out. Just need a wiring digram for your particular water heater. If its the atwood Gas/electric as mine is the wire coming from the controller is a blue wire that just needs to have that connected to the positive side of the LED and the other side of the LED to ground. From looking at what you are holding in your hand I would bet those are precisely those two wires with the green that is terminated to yellow being the ground and the blue terminated to pink being the DSI.

http://bryantrv.com/images/atwoodwhschematic.png
    I bet you are right on the blue wire, but I am not sure on the ground being the green. Wouldn't that wire go to the water pump LED? Something has to turn that light on and, looking at the pic with harness-coding, I don't see an avenue to activate the LED light. There board is grounded via the wiring harness. It would be really easy to test once I get a switch with light then ground it.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A volt meter would work wonders and yes it can be tested. For the DSI just turn on the water heater with the gas shut off, wont take long to miss 3 ignition cycles.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that this helps with the diagnostics, but since this is in the Tech Section . . . I have to comment to Grand Design. (As I have done before). The technician who wired this together at the plant must have had a colour coded wiring diagram to work from. Grand Design could really help their post-warranty owner base by making this information available.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you are right Rob. Assembly workers rarely have any expertise on theory of operation. It's nice to have a forum where we can draw on each other's knowledge. I just happen to be an electrical engineer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast