User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I have been thinking about this once in a while.
    I have done a couple of things. One winter I laid the sewer pipe in a sewer pipe tray, ran a strip of heat tape on the underside of it, and then wrapped the whole thing with insulation. But since that year I have just made sure that the drain pipe has a smooth uninhibited flow so that it drains completely while dumping. I also wrap heat tape around the exterior (exposed) part of the sewer pipe.

My tanks have heating pads and the valves are in a heated portion of the RV.

Quote Originally Posted by suitcaseisfull View Post
    I’ll have to open my fridge cover to see the room I have. Or shouldn’t you just switch to electric to remove that issue?
    RV refrigerators are gas evaporation type, whether you are running on propane or electric makes no difference. But because they also run on 120v electric there is usually a household type receptacle that you can easily plug a light bulb adapter into.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suitcaseisfull View Post
    Good call on the sacrificial layer under the pads. Currently in Canada but will be wintering over in Iowa for work. If you are going to be staying in one place for a long time. Get the adapter from your tank connection to a piece of PVC pipe. Heat tape it and insulate. Turn it on 10-15 mins before and after you dump you tanks. Then come spring. Toss the 8-10ft of pipe and a few elbows. I’ll have to open my fridge cover to see the room I have. Or shouldn’t you just switch to electric to remove that issue?
    Were you at in Iowa?? We live near Cedar Rapids, east central Iowa.
    2020 Solitude 375 RES
    Tow Vehicle 2017 F-450 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab Long Bed FX4 6.7 Diesel Titanium White Tri Coat
    To truly know what a man is, give him authority
    Best way to get back on your feet is to get off your ******
    God, Guns, Guts, made America free, lets keep all three

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to southwest Minnesota mid October and plan to live in 2019 Reflection 287RTLS. Any updated info and/or things we need to plan to do?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Get a skirt or line the bottom with 2x4 and foam board. I do recommend foam floor strip to add a layer of protection between your RV and your DIY skirt so you don't ruin your paint.
    you do have a few things going for you with the 287RTLS. Closer to the ground means less skirting and less air to try and warm up in the 2-3 weeks of extreme bitter cold. You do have the heat pads, enclosed tanks and drain valves.

Under the skirt: Knowing whats going on down there will make the biggest difference so you can respond. Get yourself a temp monitoring system. AcuRite 02082M Home Temperature and Humidity Station with 3 Indoor/Outdoor Sensors from amazon. Keep one outside to see whats going on out there. you can set alarms to chirp at you when its getting colder, then you can turn on your lights under the skirt. Once that gets colder and the sensor you put under the skirt goes off. then you can start cycling your tank heaters.

Get the normal items we all use: Heated water hose (or DIY with tinfoil then heat tape surrounded by foam) Fan insulation blocks, more rugs to take the chill off the floors. dehumidifier to remove excess water from cooking, showering and breathing. Youtube will provide all of those but remember to heat tape and insulate your water spigot!

Next is the output. Get the adapter that goes from the stinky slinky port to a piece of PVC pipe. The summer collapsible pipe is way to flimsy to take the heat and will make life hell to defrost. Might as well get some PVC pipe connectors, make sure you get a good drop to the sewer and tinfoil, heat tape and insulate that too. (you are staying there for a while anyways) turn it on for 2-3 mins before and after dumping to allow it an easy, frost free flow.

the roof! Get a shovel and a broom. Remember don't get too carried away, you are standing on possibly the most tender part of your RV. don't go hacking away at anything.

Lastly. DON'T TAKE ALL OF MY ADVICE. Read blogs, watch youtube and apply things.We are all constantly learning and failing. The best thing I can offer is go a little more than be found wanting when it gets colder than you expected. looking forward to updates!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! Bored at work today so I just read this whole thread and the pics made me cold and it's 95 here today! I think the number one thing I would do is hook it up and pull it about a 1000 miles south lol!! I plan to full time in a few short years and I've already told myself nowhere north of Texas or Florida in the winter.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I plan to full time in a few short years and I've already told myself nowhere north of Texas or Florida in the winter.
    Most folks feel that way, that's why it's difficult to get a winter reservation. But if you embrace the cold you can have so much fun. Snow shoeing, skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating.

While we have done it for several years we will be in Austin, TX this Nov/Dec, then we will go skiing....
    Dallas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if you can truly use a reflecton 297rsts in below freezing weather. It says it has heated underbelly(blowing air in there from general heater) and do all have the heater elements on the actual tanks? I just wonder how realistic winter camping is in a GD arctic design. I do understand you would have to purchase a special hose for the water etc. but are these TT really able to handle cold weather? They certainly are not like an arctic fox or a truly arctic designed TT. Any opinions on how cold ready these TT are? Thanks! janice

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends. what is your definition of cold? -30'c isnt going to be a cake walk but being realistic in what you can expect. how you respond/prepare for it and how you adjust your expectations. I think for the majority of us, its keep the lines thawed and stay reasonably comfortable. With that, yes. Get the heated hoses, the PVC poop tube thats wrapped in heat trace and insulation. Get a skirt and add a few heaters under it. Ive camped in a less insulated trailer in a harsh winter and its really all about how you prepare.
    Andrew
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 29RS
    2018 Ram 3500 6.7L
    18k Demco Autoslide Hitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first GD fifth wheel was the 303 RLS, the coldest we stayed was 22* with some winds so i am not sure what the wind chill was. we were comfortable. did we use a bit of propane? Yep. but again, we were comfortable. The only thing we had that froze was the hot water line to the island. That was due to the line was laying just above the underbelly, that was the only issue we had. We use bubble foil pieces to store our unit at our house to keep the heat out, so we also used them in the windows at night for the added window insulation. Overall, yes we did it and it works. We now have a 2019 337, just spent a few cold nights, 30*, 22* and 24* whiled passing through windy New Mexico and Kansas. Didn't have an issue with anything at all. Enjoy
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our record is -22f, we were chilly the whole time. Fuzzy slippers, sweaters, heated dog bed; all helped. Around 20f at night and above we stayed pretty comfortable.
    Dallas

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast