User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What should we do with our dog?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave our dog home. He has a routine, he's old. Leave him be.

1 25.00%
  • Take our dog with us, he'll be fine alone in the RV for periodic time blocks.

3 75.00%
  • A different option entirely.

0 0%
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should we do with our dog in this scenario?

My wife and I have an aging 15 yr old dog that we'd like to bring on weekend RV excursions but many of the early booked trips are children themed amusement parks for our 2(both under 5 yrs old). I don't believe our dog would do well in a large amusement park atmosphere, assuming the park would even let us bring him in. The way I see it, we have 2 options. Bring him on the weekend adventures and let him hang out in the rig while we're in the park. Probably coming back for lunch daily and to let him out, although he has no bladder issues and routinely goes all day without needing to go outside, despite my wife being available to let him out while she WFH. Option 2 is he would stay home while we go places. Our friends and family would help with stopping by to let him out, hang with him for a bit, etc. Boarding wouldn't be a realistic 3rd option as the one time we boarded him, it did not go well at all. He seemed heavily neglected, came back filthy laying in his own urine, and took a week or two to "recover" back to his normal state. Never again.

What do you all think we should do here? Take our 15 yr old pup on adventures and hope he's fine in the RV for small hourly blocks or leave him home where he has the run of the house and knows everything and everyone he'll see? Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Need more info for good advice. At 15, how is his vision and hearing? Does a person/dog on the sidewalk going past your home set him off barking? How about delivery trucks, and other such activities? Squirrels, rabbits?
    Our 16.3 yr old has vision and hearing issues, so nothing sets him off, like it did in his prime. Our 7 yr. old reacts to the above IF he can see them. Close the blinds in any window that he could look out, and he is chill for all day long periods.

Neither has ever been an anxiety or boredom barker. Nothing worse than a yapper in an RV with no one around to calm him for many hours. Many places have a "no unattended pet" rule for that reason. It may not be strictly enforced, but if the dog is an on going disturbance, I have seen places evict the campers. And even though I bought the camper to be able to bring the dogs, I support that happening. Leave yours at home if he is that kind of dog. Period.

Before any of your other trips, go on a couple with the dog BEFORE your active trips, to test him out. Leave him in the RV as you would, and drive the truck/vehicle a ways away (they can identify your vehicle VERY well). Then quietly walk back to your site, and site down with a book. Observe how he behaves over a few hours.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Need more info for good advice. At 15, how is his vision and hearing? Does a person/dog on the sidewalk going past your home set him off barking? How about delivery trucks, and other such activities? Squirrels, rabbits?
    Our 16.3 yr old has vision and hearing issues, so nothing sets him off, like it did in his prime. Our 7 yr. old reacts to the above IF he can see them. Close the blinds in any window that he could look out, and he is chill for all day long periods.

Neither has ever been an anxiety or boredom barker. Nothing worse than a yapper in an RV with no one around to calm him for many hours. Many places have a "no unattended pet" rule for that reason. It may not be strictly enforced, but if the dog is an on going disturbance, I have seen places evict the campers. And even though I bought the camper to be able to bring the dogs, I support that happening. Leave yours at home if he is that kind of dog. Period.

Before any of your other trips, go on a couple with the dog BEFORE your active trips, to test him out. Leave him in the RV as you would, and drive the truck/vehicle a ways away (they can identify your vehicle VERY well). Then quietly walk back to your site, and site down with a book. Observe how he behaves over a few hours.
    All that is great advice. At 15 your pup will be much happier with you even if left alone for hours. We have done many long excursions and keep the blinds closed and the TV on for background noise. At the beginning we checked with camping neighbors to find if they were noisy. Alway got the you have 3 dogs in there, they were quiet (yay)

If you are in a private campground sometimes they can refer a dog walker to check on the dog and stretch his/her legs
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/