User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Way to Check/Inflate Inside Dually Tires

Am new to owning a dually (2017 Ford F350 DRW) and my first time having to add air to the back tires was an experience. Was traveling at night and could not find a roadside air pump that would either work or have enough pressure to blow up my tires. Then I could not reach the inside dually tires so I took it to a tire shop the next day and they said the only way to air it up was take off the outside tire which they did. They had a variety of long inflator tools to use but still could not get to the inside tire as the front stem was blocking it. I find it incredible that a new truck is designed so you have to take off the outside tire to fill up the inside one but have been told thats just how it is with duallys....

After searching around the internet I have found a couple possible solutions - wanted to see what others are using also:

A product from a small company called The Tire Man that sells extended valves stems (a replacement for the entire stem, not just an valve extension which I hear can leak). The prices seem expensive just for a few valve stems however:
    http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/products.html

A product called Crossfire that allows you to blow up both tires at once and also equalizes the pressure in both. Supposedly it has a valve that prevents both tires from going flat if one goes flat.
    https://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-Dua...70_&dpSrc=srch

On either solution, I wonder what this does to the balance of the tires....

Any guidance is appreciated !
    Rick & Candi - Dallas, TX

2017 Ford F350 6.7L DRW
    2018 3150BH Imagine
    Blue Ox Swaypro Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used valve stem extendersfor several years
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2015 F350 I had to take the wheels off to align the hole in the outer wheel to line up with the stem on the inner. Now that they are lined up (mostly) I am able to get to the inside with a long slightly bent inflator with the double head offset connector.

I tried the extensions but they leaked and couldn't trust them.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this extender with no issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the Milton S-693-12's length and straight end easy for the inner tire & the angle part good for the outer tire. Milton has the shorter S-693 also.
    For pressure checking I went to a 180 PSI digital gauge.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, when you mount the outer wheel on the truck make sure the outer and inner valve stems are not lined up. Put them opposite each other so they are not in each others way.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 F350 Diesel Dually with these wheels:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheel.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	11587

I use this gauge and inflator combo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauge.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	11588

It's a Blue Point tool made by SnapON - it's their economy brand. They don't make this model anymore but they do make similar gauges with the same inflator design/length. It is accurate, I use no extensions and I check my tires frequently.

As you likely know, you have "pass through" stem caps so there's no reason to remove them. Ensure the rear valve isn't behind the front valve. This inflator will fit through the oval hole in the outer wheel and you will just have to turn it in the hole to align the foot properly - after the first time, you'll get the feel for it. Then, inflate the outer tire using the other (inside) foot of the gauge. Easy peasy.

Regarding the tire shop who told you you need to remove the outer wheel to inflate the inner? Find a new tire shop.

Also, if you have different wheels than mine, all bets are off.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.....find a new tire shop. If you go to a tire shop that does larger trucks, they'll know how to do it and they'll also have the experience to discuss all the options available to you. A "car" tire shop is not the place to go with a dually as many of them do not have dually experienced techs.

With the Viair 450RV air compressor has the long stem to get to the inside valve stem and if you have G load rated tires on your RV, this compressor gets up to a true 110 psi in short order so airing up all six tires is quick.

http://www.viaircorp.com/portables/450p-rv-auto/
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWBD62 View Post

On either solution, I wonder what this does to the balance of the tires....

Any guidance is appreciated !
    I forgot to mention - for balancing on dually's or any other tire for that matter, I use these:

http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-bal...ype=Light-Duty

I use them on my motorcycle, my trucks and my fifth wheel. They are dynamic, keeping your wheels in balance constantly even as tires wear. They are expensive but you'll never pay for balancing again and I believe that I get excellent tire wear in part because of these. Simply stated, they work great. The only drawback I have ever found is that when you are going less than 20-25 mph, they make a soft ticking sound but if the windows are closed, you can't hear it.

Speaking of tire wear, I have pretty much the same truck as you, so I'm guessing that the factory recommendation is 75 front and 65 rear. This is what I use, figuring the engineers probably know a little more about this than I do. The fronts will wear sooner than the rears but on my current rig, the fronts look set to get about 40K and the rears much more.

Safe travels.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folks over at the Ford Truck Forums recommend that those of us with the higher pressure F450 duallies, use this locking Milton. It allows you to stand further back should the tire blow, which at such high pressure could be dangerous.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-553-Tr...lton+553&psc=1

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast