User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You rarely see big rigs on 441. Very steep grades, switch backs and heavy traffic in both directions keep most folks from attempting this route. Lots of times you will see traffic stopped dead on the downhill side and stopping a heavy RV with already hot brakes can be questionable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always used River Plantation while in the area. Nice park with large sites. It has been a few years since we stayed but if in the area, that would be my first look.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    You rarely see big rigs on 441. Very steep grades, switch backs and heavy traffic in both directions keep most folks from attempting this route. Lots of times you will see traffic stopped dead on the downhill side and stopping a heavy RV with already hot brakes can be questionable.
    +1 on not towing a rig between Cherokee and gatlinburg. We have been to this area any times and prefer the Cherokee area. We stay at the koa there. Gatlinburg/sevierville area is a zoo imo.
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The north side of the Smoky moutains is where all the entertainment, shopping and dinning are. Pigeon Forge area has lots to do for families with kids. Yes it can be a zoo sometimes. While in the area there is a short drive out of Townsend called the Foothills Parkway which offers quiet easy driving and overlooks. I believe they will open the new addition to this road in 2018 which is going to be spectacular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have stayed at River Plantation and are staying there again this spring. It is close enough to everything and well maintained. Quick access to the back way around pidgin forge congestion.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like to drive 441 in a car and would never drive it with/in a RV. I prefer to go out to I-40 and down to Lake Junaluska and come west through the Maggie Valley.

Truthfully, the best and most campgrounds are on the Tennessee side of the Smokies. Western North Carolina just doesn't have as many facilities.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I don't like to drive 441 in a car and would never drive it with/in a RV. I prefer to go out to I-40 and down to Lake Junaluska and come west through the Maggie Valley.

Truthfully, the best and most campgrounds are on the Tennessee side of the Smokies. Western North Carolina just doesn't have as many facilities.
    We drove 441 on the motorcycle and quite a fun experience but would not take the truck and RV through there. Totally agree that the TN side is where you need to look for RV parks. Pre-RVing we stayed in a cabin in the mountains in Maggie Valley NC...another fun experience. Now with the RV we will be at Anchor Down in Dandridge TN this coming week March 27 for 10 days. It will be our first time staying there and have heard great reviews about it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've also been many times, last was couple years ago at spring break. Lot's of good advice here. There is a bypass for Gatlinburg also. too many stop lights and traffic if you're just going thru to the park. Great hikes. We stayed at Twin Creek with our 28'TT. very nice, clean, small park. Right on a trolly route that takes you to town for like a buck each? They have a pool and whirlpool also. You'll have a great time.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I am researching a trip to the Smokey Mountains for the summer of 2019. I will be leaving from the Twin Cities MN. I will be traveling with my Wife and 2 kids 7 and 11. I will be towing a 28BH 5th wheel trailer is about 35ft long.

How many days should I plan in the Smokies?

What Camp grounds to stay at? (on the way, There, and on they way home)

What are must do hikes?

Must see?

Any other Tips and tricks?

Thanks
    So how was your trip? Where did you stay & would you do it the same? I want to go next year 2020? & trying to plan now. Thanks!
    Last edited by zadiemay; 12-03-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uscbruce80 View Post
    Check out Anchor Down RV Resort... have only heard great things.
    If you're looking for a high line camping experience, Anchor Down is an absolutely beautiful facility. It's on the bank of Douglas Lake about 10 minutes east of Sevierville. The national park is close by, and you can tour all the sights from there.

It's expensive, but many of the RV parks in Pigeon Forge are not inexpensive either.

If you're want a quieter experience than Pigeon Forge, there are some RV parks in Townsend on the west end of the national park. You can get there going through Maryville.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 12-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast