User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    So how was your trip? Where did you stay & would you do it the same? I want to go next year 2020? & trying to plan now. Thanks!
    We haven't made the trip yet.
    2018 3500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB
    2014 2500HD Chevy Duramax CC SB(sold)
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)
    Tent (might bring along so I know what camping is like again)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this thread is old , but folks may still be reading it. Look into Little Arrow in Townsend. Last campground before the entrance to GSMNP. The sites are a little tight but gravel and fairly flat. Nice brick patio and a covered gazebo on some. River sites are really pretty.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanker24 View Post
    +1 on not towing a rig between Cherokee and gatlinburg. We have been to this area any times and prefer the Cherokee area. We stay at the koa there. Gatlinburg/sevierville area is a zoo imo.
    I know this is late but for next year, a little knowledge. Late last summer I was in eastern Tennessee again. I looked into staying at Riverpark Campground in Jonesville, Tn. again. A nice campground with full amenties but it seemed they raised their rates. I had previously taken a ride through Rock Creek Recreation area on the other side of Erwin, Tn. and ended up spending most of a week there. You can raft the Nolichucky River or there is a forest road up Rt. 395 that will take you to the top of Mt Unaka on the Tennessee / N. Carolina state line. There are three or four overlooks with spectacular views of both states. Pisgha National Forest is just over the mountain.
    Roan Mountain State Park is about a half hour tow to the east. This is one of the nicest campgrounds I have stayed at. It seems my top three are either state or county facilities. There is a really nice trout stream running right through it that is the heart of the state park. It's remote and the weather is contrary to the surroundings, especially to the south. Where the forecast was high 80s for the Smokies and 90s at Ocoee State Park, it stayed in the 70s here and one day didn't get that warm. You are up the mountain here so cloud cover and it's decending cool air take over. Take a ride up the mountain in the spring and you can see the Rhododendron Garden at the summit, again part of the Pisgha National Forest. The Appalachian Trail passes along up there too. One big surprise I found and totally unexpected was Smokey Mountain Bakers in the town of Roan Mountain. Some outstanding pizza is made there and I come from an area that takes pizza to heart.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 12-22-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info, thanks for sharing. Planning to go to Roan Mountain State Park April 2020. Is it big rig friendly?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I know this is late but for next year, a little knowledge. Late last summer I was in eastern Tennessee again. I looked into staying at Riverpark Campground in Jonesville, Tn. again. A nice campground with full amenties but it seemed they raised their rates. I had previously taken a ride through Rock Creek Recreation area on the other side of Erwin, Tn. and ended up spending most of a week there. You can raft the Nolichucky River or there is a forest road up Rt. 395 that will take you to the top of Mt Unaka on the Tennessee / N. Carolina state line. There are three or four overlooks with spectacular views of both states. Pisgha National Forest is just over the mountain.
    Roan Mountain State Park is about a half hour tow to the east. This is one of the nicest campgrounds I have stayed at. It seems my top three are either state or county facilities. There is a really nice trout stream running right through it that is the heart of the state park. It's remote and the weather is contrary to the surroundings, especially to the south. Where the forecast was high 80s for the Smokies and 90s at Ocoee State Park, it stayed in the 70s here and one day didn't get that warm. You are up the mountain here so cloud cover and it's decending cool air take over. Take a ride up the mountain in the spring and you can see the Rhododendron Garden at the summit, again part of the Pisgha National Forest. The Appalachian Trail passes along up there too. One big surprise I found and totally unexpected was Smokey Mountain Bakers in the town of Roan Mountain. Some outstanding pizza is made there and I come from an area that takes pizza to heart.
    Many people overlook Unicoi County and the Erwin, Tennessee area as a destination as it's got North Carolina to the east and to the south. It's also go an Interstate 26 running through the middle of the county that takes you from Kingsport/Johnson City to Asheville, NC. The county and region is absolutely beautiful--and undiscovered. As previously mentioned, the Roan Mountain State Park is over the mountain, but you also have Banner-Elk, NC, Boone, Blowing Rock and many attractions in the far NW NC.

Another great relatively undiscovered part of Tennessee is on the KY border is the 125,000 acre Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. It's to the west of I-75 north of Knoxville at Oneida, TN. The South Fork is an incredible white water river running through the park. Had Senator Howard Baker (TN) had been more successful at running for President, this was going to be the next National Park. It's every bit as beautiful as The Smokies and much less commercialized and used. The area also has rental cabins with barns for equestrians.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are still looking, The Greenbriar campground is really nice.Stayed there a few days last summer and loved it.
    Eric and Carolyn
    Louisville KY
    2015 Ford F350
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Wow nice thread going. My wife and I were trying to figure out our next trip and the Great Smokey's came up as a trip. We are about 12 hours (Google says 10 but I add 2 for everything else.) drive time to the area. I noticed Anchor's Down is a pretty popular place from reading Facebook posts and the here. However their web site doesn't explain the 4 tiers just the pricing. Is the whole place the same amenities per site just one site is closer to the water vs a Back in? Our trip plans are taking us in Mid April during spring break for us. Price wise it is not bad for what we have paid in the past. As a matter of fact, it would be pretty cheap at the mid range level for our experiences. Besides it is well cheaper than Disney's Fort Wilderness at the same time which is around $200/ night if you can get one now. However with AD it looks like you might be paying for a view too. I know the campgrounds in the parks themselves will not work for our trailer as we are 36 feet long. It's one of the few times I understand the concept of smaller trailers lol

Thanks for the updated advice if there is any to contribute here.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone,

I back on planning this trip again for summer of 2022. Twin Cites MN to Gatlinburg TN. I hope to make a detour and stop by Nashville TN to see Dave Ramsey and do a debt free scream on my way out!

I will have to go back over the thread and see what has been suggested for places to stay.
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out state and Federal campgrounds in nearby area. But you must make reservations as soon as booking window opens; usually 11 months for states and 6 months for Federal - you can always cancel reservations if something changes but you can't get reservation if you wait until near time to depart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    So how was your trip? Where did you stay & would you do it the same? I want to go next year 2020? & trying to plan now. Thanks!
    Still Have not gone planning on going 2021.

Did you make it out there in 2020?
    If so How was your trip and where did you stay?
    Would you stay there again or somewhere else?
    Pullrite 2700 Autoslider
    Timbrens
    2018 28bh 5th wheel
    X23B Jayco (sold)
    1991 Pop-up (sold)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast