Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    He has less than 300 lbs extra weight on the trailer
    8760-8345 base weight at factory =415lbs. Then batteries ,propane options etc…
    I dunno. Maybe
    Yeah something tells me there is a camp chair in it and a bag of chips. Can’t blame anyone for going light in this economy.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that loaded to camp? Seems light

Trailer weight 8760 with 16 percent on the pin
    That was empty except for the fresh water tank was at 2/3 full. My loaded to camp is 9000#Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7214.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	45756

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandes View Post
    That was empty except for the fresh water tank was at 2/3 full. My loaded to camp is 9000#Click image for larger version. 

9000 loaded!!!!! I think I have over 200 pounds in my fridge alone
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you towing your Reflection 150 Series with

Quote Originally Posted by Jandes View Post

Still don’t understand your numbers
    How did you unload 80 pounds off of your rear axle by loading it up ready to camp?
    Then you added 60 to the front axle?

Still only less than 15 percent pin weight. Dangerously low imo
    Last edited by NB Canada; 04-09-2023 at 07:17 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    9000 loaded!!!!! I think I have over 200 pounds in my fridge alone
    Yeah I don’t understand his numbers. He is still way light on his pin weight

I think he is trying to convince himself it works
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you unload 80 pounds off of your rear axle by loading it up ready to camp?

My math was off a little bit, 9160# loaded for camping. My pin weight was at 15.28%. It was not dangerously low, there is a curve between too little pin weight and too much pin weight. I will acknowledge that it’s on the front side of the curve. I did drop about 50 gallons of water from the freshwater and black tank, which sits forward of the front axle. My truck starts, cruises, and most importantly stops the rig safely. I have towed through the Appalachian Mountains on a few different occasions, once with some nasty 20 gusting 35 MPH cross winds and all was well. Is it heavy, Yes it is heavy, adding 1400# to a SRW vehicle is going make it feel heavier than unloaded. Anyone who says their truck doesn’t know it’s back there is lying.

Now, looking at the floor plan for a 278BH and comparing that to where the axles are, one would notice that the kitchen area, where my heaviest items are, is behind the axles. It was designed that way. Pretty grand design if you ask me. Naturally when you add weight behind the axle, the pin will become lighter. I am aware of this. I use it to my advantage.

When I go camping I don’t bring a whole house worth of stuff. I have wheat straw plates, bowls and cups. I have normal flatware. My pots and stainless steel and on the smaller side, primarily due to the reduced stove size. I do have a 10” cast iron skillet and a 12QT cast iron Dutch oven. The fridge was stocked up with mainly food items. I don’t drink sodas or a lot of beer. So I don’t have a lot of liquid weight in the fridge. I use light weight backpacking collapsible chairs. Our wardrobe is small and packed according to the expected weather conditions. I don’t take 23 outfits per person for a weekend trip. Nor do I bring multiple versions of heavy coats. We don’t have hundreds of pounds of extra stuff that we don’t need and don’t use. I load things where they make sense to me to put them. My Andersen levelers, jack buckets, water hoses, solo stove and camping chairs go in the basement. I have a tote of tools and miscellaneous stuff that goes in the back storage area, along with 30# of dog food.

Hopefully you can tell that I am not just loading up the rear mindlessly. I put things where it seems like it was intended to go. I put stuff where I think it will be easier and convenient to get to. I am very calculated with what goes in the truck and my camper. I take responsibility for towing safely. That means loading safely. That means getting weighed to ensure that I am properly loaded, which many of the tow police don’t do but are quick to throw stones. 15% is fine. Ask the SAE. There’s is a reason why they choose 15% as the pin weight for testing 5th wheel towing. Those who say 20%-25% are just as unsafe as too little pin weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don’t understand his numbers. He is still way light on his pin weight

I think he is trying to convince himself it works
    State your source for too light at 15.28% I don’t have to convince myself, I weighed myself and it’s under the capacity of the truck my GVWR is 7000#. I was at 6780# My CGVWR is 15,400#. My CGVW was 14,540# at the 15% pin weight the truck was tested and certified at.

Please elaborate on how it doesn’t work. I am implying that you are saying it doesn’t work.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those dang ‘ol intranet tow police. Gotta watch out for dem dare people’s.

IMO, sounds like he has done his homework. If you look and browse long enough, someone is doing much worse. Yes, there are more capable TVs that may make the towing experience a more enjoyable one, think suspension and braking power but that doesn’t mean his TV is not up to the task. If he passed me doing 78 in the go fast lane in the hills I may have a comment or two but if he feels it’s safe for his family and their intended use - [emoji2375].
    Last edited by Whitexc; 04-09-2023 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed answering your first questions. It’s easy to unload the rear axle and put weight back on the front axle when the pin weight is lighter. I also put on Sumo springs. I don’t squat near as much as I did before. There is still a bit of forward rake meaning that the truck is still able to carry more weight on the front axle. So a combination of a more balanced load, and the sumo springs keep the back end higher than the front, so the front retains more weight.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 278BH is great for being able to distribute the weight how you want to. My pin weight is virtually the same loaded and unloaded.

Don’t let the internet tow police get you down. They can do calculations all day but only you know how your combination tows in the real world. There are far to many variables in towing to reduce everything to X < Y.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast