User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil is “relatively” inexpensive. Below is my carry over habit from aircraft ownership and breaking in new aircraft engines. It’s probobly overkill for the truck but I feel better doing it this way. With a Fomoto valve, replacing the oil drain plug oil change is an easy DIY project, even for me with my 71 year old body.

First oil change change at odometer reading of 1500 miles to get the wear metals out. Installed a Fomoto oil drain valve and Filled with Motorcraft 10W-30 diesel oil to continue break in.

Second oil change at odometer display 5000 miles. Filled with Valvoline Premium Blue Extreem Synthetic Diesel oil.

Third and future oil changes at 5000 mile intervals continued with Valvoline PBE

I use Motorcraft oil filters and Valvoline from Amazon.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Truck Oil Change Intervals

I agree with many that it is cheap insurance. I do all my own maintenance as well, use full synthetic and still change every 5k, oem fuel filters at 10k. If you can pay $60k+ for a truck, an extra oil change should be doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Amsoil synthetic to go OE recommended intervals. I go by computer which is around 7,500 miles. I also change the two fuel filters at the heavy duty tow range of 15,000 miles.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just Googled results of tests for changing oil. A lot of good reads there. The common recommendation from all of them is to follow the manufacturer advice but to check the type of driving you do for their recommendation. Two things I do recommend is synthetic oil and always use a good high quality oil filter. There really is a big difference in oil filters. I have seen cut-outs of different oil filters and the cheap ones are nothing more than a canister filled with toilet paper looking wads stuffed in it.

We had a 2003 Ford Superduty with the dreaded 6.0l engine. Put a engine oil temperature gauge on it to be able to keep a good eye on it. When I went to Synthetic oil the engine oil temperature dropped significantly along with the mpg going up at the same time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Momentum is a beast. I try to get my oil changed every 5000 miles. Sometimes I am places where that is not possible. I quit changing my own oil several years ago. I also replace the fuel filter every other oil change. I also get the transmission serviced once a year. I also get the radiator flushed and the coolant replaced if I ever hit 260 on the temp gauge.

I am in the camp that these maintenance items help the longevity of the engine.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commercial operators with class 7 and 8 trucks run oil for tens of thousands of miles and send oil samples in to one of the oil testing companies every 10,000 miles or so for analysis. There are more people than I would have expected on the truck and diesel forums (GM and Ford truck owners forums as well as The Diesel Place) doing the same thing with diesel light trucks. They are getting 300 - 500K miles out of their trucks (in the millions of miles for the big rigs), so the science must work. For me, it's less hassle and greater peace of mind to just change the oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals (our truck is used almost exclusively to tow the rig) and be done with it. I know... there are tree huggers that will argue that this is not as good for the environment and I understand their point of view, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    My Momentum is a beast. I try to get my oil changed every 5000 miles. Sometimes I am places where that is not possible. I quit changing my own oil several years ago. I also replace the fuel filter every other oil change. I also get the transmission serviced once a year. I also get the radiator flushed and the coolant replaced if I ever hit 260 on the temp gauge.

I am in the camp that these maintenance items help the longevity of the engine.
    Don’t forget to service your diffs too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nissan recommends 10,000 mile intervals for oil changes. I send my oil out for analysis, and the people that do the analysis recommend in my case every 7,000 miles. I am sending a sample in for every oil change. To me, it's money well spent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackstoneLabs.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	11732
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to toot my horn a little, I've been a heavy duty diesel mechanic for over 40 years, currently the swing shift garage supervisor for the local school district. We have over 1,700 buses in our fleet. As has been said, oil is cheap insurance. Having said that, over-maintaining is a waste of hard earned dollars. Believe it or not, I change my oil at 5,000 miles, which on my dash is roughly 40% remaining. I also change my fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I could go longer, but I find every other oil change is optimal. Low fuel pressure because of a partly blocked fuel filter is not good for modern high pressure fuel pumps. Also, it's easy to remember. On the oils, synthetic is good, no argument from me. But unless you are looking for extended intervals, you're not really gaining much. JMHO. I use Shell Rotella T 15W40. This oil meets the latest diesel specs (CK-4) and is low ash. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is also a high quality oil. Low ash is very important for your modern diesel emission control systems. As for filters, I'm very confident using WIX filters. We have used these in our fleet for decades and have never had a filter related malfunction. They are not that hard to find, in fact NAPA Gold filters are rebranded WIX. Part numbers are even the same. Just don't get shocked when you pay over $50 for their premium fuel filter. IMHO it's worth it. Okay, guess i should get off the internet and get back to work...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnsouza View Post
    I have my oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles and my fuel filter every 15,000 miles. Mostly because it's easier to remember without writing it down.
    That is my plan for my Power Stroke.

Oil and filter changes every 5000 miles for every vehicle I have owned has worked out for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast