Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing 303rls

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John
    I am pulling about 10K now and the fit is good. I would not load the 303rls all the way so I figured 11,000 to 11,500 should not be a problem. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been pulling our 303RLS with a 2015 2500HD 6.0 gas for about 2 years now. Power is ok, but be prepared for a LOT of shifting (even on some overpasses). Don't know if that was specifically the problem, but burned up the transmission just recently. Dealer replaced with a complete new transmission. May have been a defect from day one, dealer couldn't really put a finger on what caused the failure. As a side note, I find it strange that our 2010 Silverado half ton had a transmission temperature readout as well as the 2018 loaner we had while our transmission was being replaced, but the 2500 has no such information available to the driver that I have been able to find. No way of knowing of course, be we may have been able to avoid transmission failure with a little info.
    Long story short - trading the truck for a 2018 Duramax/Allison.
    Scott and Toni
    2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it with the current truck. You may possibly need air bags or something like Timbrens just to even things up a hair in the rear, and you won’t be winning any races of course. But in my opinion and with a 303 myself, I think it’s a very doable combination.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Budprint9462 View Post
    Been pulling our 303RLS with a 2015 2500HD 6.0 gas for about 2 years now. Power is ok, but be prepared for a LOT of shifting (even on some overpasses). Don't know if that was specifically the problem, but burned up the transmission just recently. Dealer replaced with a complete new transmission. May have been a defect from day one, dealer couldn't really put a finger on what caused the failure. As a side note, I find it strange that our 2010 Silverado half ton had a transmission temperature readout as well as the 2018 loaner we had while our transmission was being replaced, but the 2500 has no such information available to the driver that I have been able to find. No way of knowing of course, be we may have been able to avoid transmission failure with a little info.
    Long story short - trading the truck for a 2018 Duramax/Allison.
    Add a Scangauge to your setup. It can display transmission and coolant temperatures among a bunch of other information. I always watch tranny temp when towing. It's the first sign of a problem and you don't get notified too late to actually do something about it before you feel the wallet pain.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Budprint9462 - there is a transmission temp reading on the DIC you just have to activate it. Going be memory here, but you go to settings and enable the trans temp readout. There are some items that are not enabled out of the factory. On mine, I run around 160 to 180 pulling my TT, haven't pulled my 303 yet but will soon!
    Jerry & Camille
    2018 Silverado Double Cab 2500HD D/A Z71
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    Curt A16 Slider
    Past RV's: 2003 Keystone Hornet 27BS, 2013 Keystone Laredo 301RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John and Kathy --- is your F250 gas or diesel ? I'm looking at buying a RLS303 and debating between an F250 or F350 (either way will be diesel)

We will be out west a lot so I definitely want power up the mountains.

thx, Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmburt4405 View Post
    Hi John and Kathy --- is your F250 gas or diesel ? I'm looking at buying a RLS303 and debating between an F250 or F350 (either way will be diesel)

We will be out west a lot so I definitely want power up the mountains.

thx, Jeff
    Gas. Fine on roads here in Indiana and Kentucky. Mountains I’d go with Diesel too.

IMO, the debate should be DRW or SRW. SRW will handle a 303, but if you want DRW you have to go 350.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you just have to be really careful getting a 3/4 ton with a diesel because you take a big hit to payload because of the weight of the diesel. I wouldn't do a diesel unless it was in a 1 ton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12