Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the cool thing with diesels, gobs of power and they kind of just lope along doing their thing. With the gas you just use ALL of the engine if you know what I mean. Steep hills I'll be in 2nd gear for sure, , just the way it is.

The real test will be pulling the Duluth hill this summer. Duluth is a port city on the western most point of Lake Superior. There is a pretty good hill going into Duluth, but the same hill is a lot steeper leaving Duluth.

I'll be looking for a new(er) truck in a couple years, we'll see what happens.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    Thanks for the reply on the black tank flush. You beat me to it, I was actually going to post the question - do you use the pressure regulator when flushing the black tank. Now I know.
    I don't use a pressure regulator while flushing the black tank. I use full force pressure.
    After some use you may find the black tank (as well as the grey tanks) monitor shows 1/3 or 2/3 full just after you dump the tank. The sensors are not that good (accurate) and they get covered with "stuff" so even when they are empty the monitor may show some fullness. I always flush the black tank very well. I go through my flushing procedure maybe 2 or 3 times, to try and get it really cleaned out. Like I said my procedure when flushing the black tank is to close the black tank dump valve while flushing. I use the stop watch mode on my wrist watch or count to time the closure of the dump valve while flushing. You never want to have the dump valve closed while flushing too long.

Even after a year of use on and off weekends so far the monitor still works pretty consistent.

After I get the black tank dumped and cleaned, we make sure we put in some chemical and run in a few gallons of water by flushing the toilet several times to get that sloshing action in the tank while traveling down the road. This helps to keep the sensors working pretty good. Some people have also added calgon water softener and other additives in addition to the chemical treatment to help break down the remaining contents and keep the sensors working better. Using the correct RV toilet paper, or paper that dissolves completely and using plenty of water when flushing helps keep the sensors working better.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    Yeah that's the cool thing with diesels, gobs of power and they kind of just lope along doing their thing. With the gas you just use ALL of the engine if you know what I mean. Steep hills I'll be in 2nd gear for sure, , just the way it is.

The real test will be pulling the Duluth hill this summer. Duluth is a port city on the western most point of Lake Superior. There is a pretty good hill going into Duluth, but the same hill is a lot steeper leaving Duluth.

I'll be looking for a new(er) truck in a couple years, we'll see what happens.
    Yeah my old diesel goes a pretty good job but it cant tow a 5er, at least a good quality one in the 35-38 foot range. So in a couple years, or if we win the lottery HAHA, we'll trade up to a GD 5er. Most likely a Reflection and that means a 3500 1 ton. We plan to go full time RV in a couple years or sooner.

A long time ago back when the kids were small we camped at pancake bay off the north side of lake Superior on the Canadian side. Beautiful place! My wife saw the posted bear warning signs and wasn't keen on the idea of camping. It was the first time the kids saw a moose running along side of the road. They thought it was cool- but I was scared the thing was going to run out in front of me driving. Looking back that moose kind of reminds me of my diesel truck, it just keeps loping along.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 2950 also and I had some trouble with my passenger side slide. It is such a big box obviously Grand Design took note of this and changed the slide system for the bigger slide. Good for them, just hope the Schwintec will hold up on this big 12 foot slide over the years. I did get with Lippert a couple of weeks ago and they were awesome to talk and email with as far as the slide system, Schwintec. They have a complete lubrication video on their web site, but it is easier to find on youtube. I ordered the special lub they recommend on Amazon and did it last week and also bought slide seal lube and did the outside and inside. The slide has never run better, smother and faster. I also added a second battery to make sure my voltage stays high enough. Weird thing, mine is a 2017 model, made in May of 2016 and my slide controllers are under the kitchen sink behind the front inside panel. I know this because my curb/passenger side slide one time would not come out, really ruins a weekend when you can get in the rig! I was able to climb through the small opening by the coffee nook cabinet and preform the slide override procedure that is in your manual to get it to work. Dealer fixed the slide the next week. I think it was just out of sync timing. Good luck with your 2970!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question for you guys with Schwintec slides. On our 2970 the street side slide is a Schwintec. At each bottom corner of the slide, up against the wall of the camper there is an approx. 4" X 4" black plastic "tray" with a hole in it that a wire goes through. That wire passes through to the underside of the trailer.
    Can you see daylight if you look through that hole? On both of those black trays at the front end of the slide and again at the rear end of the slide I can see daylight. There is an easy 1/2" hole for that wire to pass through. Just wondering if there is some sealant that is missing?
    Are these black trays meant to be some kind of drain?

It's not a huge deal but it kind of bothers me. Kind of screams Mice, Please Enter Here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats weird they told me not to lubricate the schwintec tracks only use the dry lube on the seals. I'll look up the lubrication video for future reference.

On ours the dining curb side slide is 147.25 inches (exterior length) and weighs 3092 lbs and extends out 40 inches. The kitchen traffic side slide is 133 and a fraction inches length and weighs 3314 lbs but only extends out 24 inches. My guess as to why they went away from the schwintek system on the dining slide only maybe, since the dinning slide might weigh less than the kitchen slide, it extends out almost twice the distance and that much weight hanging out farther is more stress to haul back in. Only a guess. When we were recently looking at the Reflections and Solitudes we noticed they also use 2 different slide technologies.

Our 2950 is a 2017 model and was manufactured in October 2016. The schwintec controller is in the bathroom. Makes sense that they moved it from the island to the bathroom. With the slides closed you cant get to the island. On late year models, At least if something happens with the slides you can always get into the bathroom and reset the system.

Watched one of their videos where they show how to recalabrate the system. IIRC from closed you run the slide out about 3 feet, then back in until the motors stop holding onto the button a few extra seconds after the motors stop. I think you do this 3 or 4 times to recal the system. When we are setting up to camp we always run the slides fully out or fully in and holding the button a few extra seconds after the motors stop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, on my fail weekend the slide would only move about 8 inches then stop. When I was closing the slide before we left home that day I noticed the rear of the curb side slide was ahead of the forward side, didn't think it was a big deal until it wouldn't open. We were able to open slide 1, then I was able to climb through the small hole and do the reset procedure. As far as the small tray? I'm not sure? The power wire would have to come up from the bottom to supply power to the slide motors. Both my slides are closed right now as I'm about to move it to a storage facality over Easter. We use the "camper cave" as my grandson likes to call it for one long table to seat everyone (about 40 people) for an Easter celebration!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see these holes weather the slide room is open or closed.

That's quite a crowd for Easter. I bet there's all kinds of good food too!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180321_180513.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	11980Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
ID:	11980

I tried to attach some pictures, not sure if it worked. First time trying to post pics here.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that kind of worked. That shows the wire exiting the underside of the camper. Sorry its sideways.

Name:	20180321_180049.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	11981

Views:	29 
ID:	11982
    If this worked, one picture will show looking from inside the camper out through the hole in the floor. The other picture will show the wire exiting by the rear wheel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast