User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which 5th wheel hitch do you currently use?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airsafe

1 0.37%
  • Andersen

70 26.12%
  • B&W

77 28.73%
  • Curt

28 10.45%
  • Demco

7 2.61%
  • DrawTite

0 0%
  • Hensley/TrailerSaver

2 0.75%
  • Pullrite

44 16.42%
  • Reese

26 9.70%
  • Other

13 4.85%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to start an argument, but I'm not sure I buy that so perhaps we need to define some terms.

My understanding is/was that bucking is the RV moving the TV around in response to the road surface. Chucking is/was relative movement between the TV and RV - slack in the hitch, if you will.

I've never towed my 337 with anything other than an AUH - which is probably the rigid mount referred to above - but it takes a heck of a big bump before I feel any bucking and I *never* get what I'm describing as chucking. When the TV moves, the RV moves and when one stops, they both stop - no banging or crashing.

I had my fair share of problems when I started pulling a TT, but fivers - always with the AUH - have been a delight with no issues whatsoever. I hear everyone else complaining about their hitches and feel left out. Perhaps I have have all the necessary padding in my seat.

Can someone enlighten me, please. What, exactly are you calling bucking and why do I not experience it when towing with the rig in my signature? (Don't tell me that it is just good clean living on my part. )

Best,

John
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of the AUH is that there is no chucking because of the ball and socket connection. With traditional hitches, the hitch plate moves in multiple directions as the trailer moves about in response to the road surface. Because the hitch has some play in it, this moving about of a large mass, sometimes in opposition to the mass of your truck, will cause the chucking feeling as parts essentially move against each other in tangential directions.

With the AUH there is no slop because it is a pure ball and socket connection. The connection can only move around the contours of the ball head of the hitch. Essentially it's a more rigid connection. But it does also transmit more forces to the trailer. That's why the mfgrs of trailers don't approve of the AUH and Andersen had to buy that insurance policy to ameliorate their customers' fears.

I have a Reese Elite 27.5 that came with my truck. I'm picking my trailer up tomorrow and we'll see how much chucking there is. I may end up installing the AUH instead. The alternative would be to get a TrailAir receiver instead. The air bladder whether it be on the hitch like a Hensley or on the receiver as in the case of the TrailAir, should help to greatly reduce the chucking.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air safe also makes a good hitch with the Hensley head. It has 4 air bags one at each corner and two shocks. Have had it for 4 years now and nothing but good things to say about it. Takes out 95% of the chucking and banging.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Demco Hijacker auto slider in my 2014 F350 crew cab with 6’9” factory bed Single rear wheel on truck I am towing a grand design 337rls The hitch works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have towed with a Huskey. an Andersen rail mount and now with an Andersen ball mount. I liked the rail mount best but since our (newer) 2015 F350 came with a ball in the bed we went with the ball mount Andersen. All were 5th wheels and all with a MorRide rubber for the king pin. I think the MorRide is what had the greatest impact on the ride. I like being able to change the Andersen around and the ability to easily remove it and reverse the ball and have a flat floor in the box. We sold the Andersen rail mount to our brother-in-law and he loves it. No, the king pin was not "rubber".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike & Jaimie, I have a Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW with the Rambox toolboxes in the sides of the bed as my tow vehicle. Because I chose to go with the Ramboxes, I couldn't get factory fifthwheel/gooseneck package. I ended up going with the Andersen rail mount version. I felt it offered me the most flexibility for the price. I bought Reese rails and mounting brackets from etrailer.com and installed them myself. Of all the new trucks that I'm aware of, my truck setup is probably the most restrictive. It's a short bed trick with a 51" wide box. I also have an Access tonneau cover on it. I was nervous that towing a fifthwheel with my truck configuration was going to be a big challenge. All sorts of things I read said it was a bad setup. I had seen videos and reviews of the Reese sidewinder replacement pinbox. Most said it was the only option that works with a truck with Ramboxes. I then read some things about the Andersen saying it worked with Rambox trucks. When I started looking at costs, it was clear which way I was going to attempt. The rail and bracket kit was $330. The hitch was $505. Safety chains were $70. Total setup was under $1k. If I went the sidewinder route it have cost $330 for rails, somewhere around $600 for a new 16k nonslider hitch (I'm sure I could have found a cheap used one somewhere) and about $1100 for the Sidewinder. Totalling around $2k. I took the chance on the Andersen. In the limited towing I've done, I have been very satisfied. I have good clearance all around. My ball is in the highest position and the coupler is reversed. The setup seems really solid. It doesn't feeling like there is "slop" in the connection. Starting and stopping is smooth. It's not like my boat or Aluma trailer where you can feel the movement in the trailer. I'm sure there are other factors that could affect that feeling but the fifthwheel and Andersen feels smooth to me. That's been by experience so far. Sorry for all the babbling but I hope some of what I said makes sense and helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using B&W now but also have a AUH which pulls very nicely. Both are really great hitches I think.
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike I have the same problem I have a ram 2500 with the ram box and couldn't get the factory gooseneck package either. I went with my dealer recommended pullrite slider hitch for my box, the only problem was it didn't clear the back of the hitch and it hit the rail for my tonneau cover. It did bend the side a hair nothing serious but it could have. some how the hitch has to be raised between 1 and 2 inches to clear the rails. All I know is that the dealer recommended this hitch for my box and now its his problem to fix and make it right.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try lowering the front of your pin box on the trailer. I did that and it helps a lot! Good luck...
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this seems to be an appropriate place to ask a newbie question?

We are beginning our 2nd year of a 3 year research window before we purchase both our Tow Vehicle (Chevy 3500) and Fiver (GD 320) in the year 2020. Here's the questions:

1) Should we purchase the 5th wheel prep pkg option from Chevy or is it best to go to an after market provider (RV dealer?) for a complete installation?

2) Do hitches mount and perform differently depending on the make of the tow vehicle?

3a) If you were to "upgrade" your current hitch, which one would you upgrade to and why?
    3b) If you love the hitch you have .... what do you have?

Some background info: We are Hawaii residents and planning a 2-3 year lower 48 after which the plan is to sell both vehicles and return to our island home and settle into retirement, so ease of constantly removing and reinstalling the hitch on a regular basis is a non-issue.

Thank you for your time.

Aloha,
    DOUG (Retired) & DIANE (Almost Retired)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast