User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 Westies, and they travel brilliantly in a wire crate. We bungee it to seat, so it's easy to take out of the back seat (of the Ford F-150 crew cab) and use it outside when we're settled into our site. They were crate trained from early days, so no problems. They can see out if they sit up, but mostly they go right to sleep when we're on the road. Yes, the crate opens only on one end (passenger side), but we can haul it out fairly quickly from either back door. The crate has rollers on the floor corners, so it moves across the seat pretty easily, and would be fine for taking out in an emergency. (We'd only need to unhook the bungee, which literally takes 2-3 seconds.) In case of an emergency, pulling the whole crate out with the dogs inside keeps them safe without worrying about leashes; we do take the smaller one's collar off in the crate, as it's a martingale and she can get her foot stuck in it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 cocker spaniels. They wear harnesses that clip into the seat belts in the back seat of our truck - which gets covered with a seat cover. I leave leashes on just in case of emergency. Most of the time, they curl up together and sleep. Otherwise, the younger dog sits up and looks out the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Samoyed travels in a wire crate in the back of the car. Although one time when he wouldn't stop barking we put his crate in the bathroom of the TT when it was nice and cool outside.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a 3 piece "floor level with the seat. I covered it with carpet and then blankets and beds. There is one crate turned sideways and open so the can move in and out. Now days they are sleeping (1 westie, 3 yorkies) within 15 minutes for hitting the road. Since there is space under the "floor" we can store a few things, water or jackets of food under it. And if we stop for a few days everything comes out in 5 minutes and we have the back seat for friends to drive around sight seeing.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mageorge View Post
    We got a new 8# dog this winter and my wife is stressing over how we should travel with it on the road (not on her lap). Any suggestions on a seat, pen, or whatever, for the rear seat area that’s considered safe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We just got a new pup too and she will be small. Even with our last dog Maddie, who was about 14 lbs, we had a doggy car seat. It gets belted into the seat and then the dog gets belted into it. With the new pup I went a step further. I took a sheet of plywood that is cut to fit the entire rear section of our truck without lifting the seats. Deb wrapped it in some light foam and then beige vinyl. The back merely rests on the seat but the front has 2" black pvc pipe legs that reach to the floor. On the surface I added some eye-hooks. Two to hold a rack for a bowl set (water and kibble). The second set is for a bungee cord to hold her kennel with the opening right between our front seats which she will ride in. When we stop we will let her out of her kennel and she can drink, eat or just hang out.

I'll get a couple pictures and come back to this post and add them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180410_104709.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	12213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180410_144727.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	12214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180410_144813.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	12215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3134.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	12210
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really nice.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking backseat driver ya got there. Got a really nice looking place to hang out.

Dogs have sold more RV's than all the salesmen in the world. If we didn't have a totally spoiled dog, we'd probably be flying to our destination and staying in a luxury hotel instead of an RV.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice setup Paul. Here is what I ended up with for our kids.

Name:	BackSeat.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	12237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackSeat1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	12238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackSeat2.jpg 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	12239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackSeat3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	12240

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Good looking backseat driver ya got there. Got a really nice looking place to hang out.

Dogs have sold more RV's than all the salesmen in the world. If we didn't have a totally spoiled dog, we'd probably be flying to our destination and staying in a luxury hotel instead of an RV.
    You got this right brother...the only reason we got an RV was because leaving our best friends behind every time we went somewhere was bs. We started small and have moved up in size, but our timeshare has not been used, by us, in over 3 years. But hey, flying sucks these days and the places we used to travel to are not places I want to travel to anymore. Time to see the USA, with our best friends, our puppies....

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	12241
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got our 1st RV before the pups came along. Now that we have them there is never a thought of leaving them behind. They go with us or we don't go. As a retired loadmaster I make a truly bad passenger.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast