Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Routing antenna cable help

I recently purchased a hawking technologies wifi repeater with an outside antenna. The 30' cable is heavy duty with Type N connectors installed. I intend on putting the antenna on the tv antenna mast or on the rear ladder. I have a 2014 Solitude 369RL.

Does anyone know of any good methods of routing the cable into the camper without drilling a large hole in the roof? Not sure if maybe there's some access point I don't know about. The camper is my first and we won't be spending our first night in it until this weekend. Thanks in advance for the help.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you plan to put the repeater?

We mount a ham radio antenna on the ladder of our Reflection. We considered bringing the cables in with others in the bottom of the slide. We decided against that. Drilled a hole in the underside and ran cable into the bottom of the end table by the TV. Caulked and recaulked by the hole.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the center kitchen area would be best because of the slides but I'll get a better idea this weekend. I am also a ham and am planning on putting a couple pass through 239 connectors on the back wall for HF / VHF antennas on the ladder. I may be able to put it in the overhead cabinets on the back of the rig. My only issue would be power for the repeater.

How is your station setup? Im trying to figure out that piece next. I have an IC-7000 I'll be using for the 5th Wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave made a box to hold the ICOM 706, a 2M rig, antenna tuner and a signal link USB. He put a handle on top to move it easier, and sized it to fit on the top of the end table streetside. He mounted the antenna connections under the streetside rear on the frame, and ran the cables through the bottom into the end table. Then he drilled a hole in the top of the end table, and used one of those black grommets like you see on computer tables. Of course, the Reflection 303 doesn't have a desk (but we liked it MUCH better than SOB that did have a desk). Dave got a flag pole buddy for the ladder, and it holds a Comet H-422 rotatable dipole 10-15-20-40M antenna. We also have a 30' fiberglass push up pole to hold a wire (with a ICOM AH-4 antenna tuner) which we used in our previous fiver. We spent about 5 weeks in the new rig before deciding where to put everything.

You can see pictures of the setup at https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...e8C&feat=email

We'll be at the Dayton Tall Timbers KOA for Hamvention and at the Grand Design Rally in Sept if you want to see the setup.

FYI, TucsonJim is also a ham.

KE4TCH and N4XYZ

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    N7WIA...putting my 706 in my truck instead.
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KK4TPN here.

I'm thinking a go box setup makes the most sense for the radios. My wife will appreciate that I can put it away easily. My thoughts are I can open the box, plug in power and the antennas into the connectors on the wall and be all set. We'll see once I get setup in there for a little while.

2hams, when you drilled up from the floor were there anythings to watch out for or was it a pretty simple easy process? What recommendations do you have for caulking the hole? Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude might be different from our Reflection. In the end table cabinet streetside there is an electrical receptacle underneath the cabinet. Take that out and you have access to see what is under the cabinet. We had both DC and AC cables coming through, which of course you don't want to drill into. We drilled from the bottom up, through the undercoating then insulation the the wood deck. Dave made a hole big enough for his finger then cleared the insulation up to the hole he wanted to drill so the drill wouldn't spin insulation. He drilled the hole, fed the cables through, drilled a 2" round hole in the floor of the cabinet and fished the cables through there. We caulked the outside underneath around the cables with silicon rubber caulk.

Dave also wanted a box that was just pick it up, plug in the cables. While we were in Florida he just set his rig in the basement, so having a portable box that is still an option.

Who knows what types of ideas we might get at the campground this May. We're going to Dayton!!!! Glad I decided to get the reservations last fall.

KE4TCH

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A