User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mail service, GENERAL DELIVERY lesson

Like most full timers we have a mail service that collects our mail and forward it to ,us when ordered. In the past we have had great success using a post office and having it sent to GENERAL DELIVERY. This last time was a little more challenging.

The big difference was the size of the postal system for the city we were in. Generally we stay in or near small towns that have one post office serving the community.

We are in Las Vegas, I didn't know this but they have 18 sub-stations. We looked up the closest post office to where we are staying and had the mail forwarded to that post office via general delivery. Of course I used a mailing system that has a tracking number, thank goodness.

Mail gets sent out, I get the text message saying it arrived and is available for delivery. I go to the post office to claim my mail and I am told that substation does not have general delivery, I must go the other post office, it's only 22 miles away but you won't make it there before they close today. I always build in a little wiggle room when I have my mail forwarded, so not a big deal.

Next day I drive over the other post office to claim my mail. Sorry it's not here! ??? I am told that it is at the post office I was at yesterday. Ok, back to the other post office. I go up to the main window (different clerk) and explain my situation, tracking number in hand. The clerk listens and tells me that I have to go over to the parcel pickup window, I say the one across town, she says no, the one just around the corner in this building.

I proceed to the window with tracking numbers and the clerk listens to my story, looks up the tracking number, then says "You are a full timer aren't you?"

I think she may be psychic. I say yes I am, she explained to me that snow birds and full timers make the mistake of trying to get mail sent to a substation using general delivery. It often results in the mail getting tangled up in the system. They have started holding on to general delivery mail for 2 days before they forward it the general delivery substation.

Her advice to me was to always call the local post office and ask them about their general delivery procedures. It varies greatly, particularly in the large metropolitan areas.

You learn something everyday!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve used Escapees mail service for the last 4 years. We get them to send our mail to the RV Park we will be at next stop. Never had anything sent General Delivery and we’ve never had a problem getting our mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    We’ve used Escapees mail service for the last 4 years. We get them to send our mail to the RV Park we will be at next stop. Never had anything sent General Delivery and we’ve never had a problem getting our mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I second that. Never used General Delivery. I always have the mail forwarded to where I will be on my delivery day. I always call the CG ahead of time to inusre they will accept my mail. That has never been an issue either.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we travel we have out mail holding service forward our mail periodically upon request and have it sent to a campground after first verifying the CG accepts mail and verifying their address. Haven't had an issue yet.

I have little faith/trust that the USPS can do much more than handle regular, routine, mundane tasks. And even then they are confusing and do not apply the same procedures across all locations.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to have my younger brother screen what little mail I might get and scan to email once my wife and I retire.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully if we need something sent to us where are right now general delivery will be fine. CG told us USPS doesn't deliver here. Maybe the fact that it's a tiny little post office in the corner of the General store will be a good thing. Just their hours are odd and few.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small post offices have been the best for General Delivery.

We do use the rv parks for mail most of the time, but on those rare occasions when that was not possible we have used UPS stores and general delivery. I started this thread just let folks know that in big cities with lots of postal branches you need to do a little research before you get general delivery.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waking up this thread.

Is it still the best practice to ask the campground if they except mail for the campers and get it sent there?

We are getting closer to going full time and trying to get our ducks in a row.
    Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm waking up this thread.

Is it still the best practice to ask the campground if they except mail for the campers and get it sent there?

We are getting closer to going full time and trying to get our ducks in a row.
    Thanks, KEN
    We use General Delivery and haven't had any problems. But we already knew to send it to a small town post office. We seem to have problems using camp grounds because 1 guy receives it and puts it in a safe spot and the next guy can't find it when we come in. GO figure.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our home base is in Florida but we travel 2-3 months most summers. I'm currently in Fort Mill, South Carolina for 10 days and am testing the USPS hold feature. I didn't know that they have a preview feature which allows me to view the mail on-line that I'm receiving each day. Of course the mail is mostly junk but the system works pretty well so far.

This summer I'm going to try holding for a month at a time (USPS Max duration) and ask my neighbor to move the box inside when it is delivered, then hold for another month. Between direct deposit and on-line accounts, I've calculated that my wife and I can be at the bottom of a ravine somewhere for 4 years before things blowup.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast