Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Power monitor , thingy

Do any of you use power protection? If so which one?
    I've been reading about them ,, and it's sorta like asking the Tire question.
    The wife and I are getting closer to going full time and want to gather all these important things prior to giving up paychecks.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some really good ones out there. The most popular seem to be the Progressive Industries electrical management system units in either hard wired or portable versions.

Here is the portable version in 50 amps (They make a 30 amp version too)
    http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x

And here is the hard wired version
    http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

Jim

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I get the 50 amp one do I also need to buy a 30 amp one for those occasions that we have to use the adapter?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, the hard wired version seems to be a little more secure i.e. it won't "walk away". OTOH it'll take more electrical know how and more than a bit of work to install.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we took delivery of our 375 RES last Thursday , camped Friday thru Sunday , it's back at the dealers, one of my electric slides has synching issues and the drivers side front trunk pops randomly open at the worst possible times.
    I need to look if I can get to the inside of the plug, i'm sure I can hard wire it in. Union Elevator Mechanic I'm one with the electricity. Mostly
    I'm concerned with access, getting my first shoulder replaced in May,

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Hmm, the hard wired version seems to be a little more secure i.e. it won't "walk away". OTOH it'll take more electrical know how and more than a bit of work to install.
    The other side of that coin is that when the unit needs service you can still use your RV. And FWIW, Progressive is very good about repairing and returning these units. I had one that was - I think - taken out by a power surge (as they are designed to be).

As for security, there is a place to attach a padlock, but considering the lack of security found on most RV's a lock would seem a little silly.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I went with the portable unit was that I read somewhere on here that installing the permanent version would void all warranty with the electrical systems in the coach. Also the ease of replacement IF it does in fact go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, is working with the stiff 6g wire. There are pictures and red goes to red...and so forth, so technically, it's not hard. There are some really good EMS installs described by others on this forum that cover about anything you need to know. Pre-wiring the box on the bench with extra cable was the best idea I saw and made the job go very smoothly for me. I also really like the monitor, showing at a glance, voltage levels and current flow on each leg depending on what is running inside the coach. Could be the first place to look for beginning diagnosis of electrical malfunctions in the coach. I will soon have a baseline of the requirements of the appliances and devices running and quickly be able to spot something out of normal. I am jazzed I got this EMS.

Again, can't say thank you enough to the many of you that take the time to visit this forum and impart your knowledge on the rest of us.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    The reason I went with the portable unit was that I read somewhere on here that installing the permanent version would void all warranty with the electrical systems in the coach. Also the ease of replacement IF it does in fact go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't really speak to this personally as I've heard no official word either way but I believe that if installed correctly and competently, it could not cause issues and I'm betting it will save me from issues that would certainly not be covered under the coach warranty.

I have mine mounted just behind the rear basement panel and it is very accessible for the replacement of parts or the whole unit if necessary...I would only be out the time it took to get me parts. And since I didn't shorten any of the factory wiring, I could completely bypass the unit and connect to the breaker panel as the factory did. I could have easily just cut the factory cabling and wired it in, in nearly the same location, but being able to return things to factory configuration was important to me. It also has a bypass switch on the monitor panel that can be used if necessary.

I guess I should have added that I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C unit in my 303rls.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Chere Zeke View Post
    we took delivery of our 375 RES last Thursday , camped Friday thru Sunday , it's back at the dealers, one of my electric slides has synching issues and the drivers side front trunk pops randomly open at the worst possible times.
    I need to look if I can get to the inside of the plug, i'm sure I can hard wire it in. Union Elevator Mechanic I'm one with the electricity. Mostly
    I'm concerned with access, getting my first shoulder replaced in May,
    Do a search for progressive.

Buy about 8 feet of #6 NMB Romex from local Home Depot or Lowe’s for about $20. That length will give you ability to mount the EMS wherever you choose. You can always cut it shorter if you wish.

Pull out the circuit breaker box cover and you will see the incoming #6 red/white/black/ground wire that goes to the 50 amp breaker.

Pull that out and wire it to the Progressive Industries EMS “L” lugs. Connect your new wire to the “T” lugs with the amp sensors over the red/black wires.

Mount the EMS in a convenient location of your choice.

Connect the other end of the new #6 wire to the 50 amp breaker, neutral bar and ground bar.

Mount the remote digital readout at a location of your choice.

You’re done.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast