User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hitch/pin weight

website (GD) says UVW and hitch weights are "average".

So is the hitch weight based off of GVWR or from the UVW? Or just arbitrary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitch weight will be effected by contents loaded into the trailer. UVW is based on the options you add, the average being a base unit. You will get the actual unit weight after your trailer is built. If you buy off of the lot, the actual UVW weight will be provided. The difference between UVW and GVWR is how much cargo you can load.

As hitch weight is based on how much you put into the trailer, for calculation purposes you can take roughly 20% of GVWR as the hitch (or pin) weight. So a trailer with a 16,000# GVWR, you can figure about 3200# pin weight.

When loading the trailer you also need to be concerned with the tire and axle weight ratings. From what I've seen, the tires GD use are rated higher than the 7,000# rating of the axles. Weigh your trailer after it is loaded to make sure you are under GVWR and the axle weight is under the 7,000# rating (ie; your trailer axle weight should be less than 14,000# on the scale report).

Hope this helps.
    John & Joyce
    2017 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ford F-450 King Ranch
    I'd Rather Have More Truck Than I Need Than Need More Truck Than I Have

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dealership can provide the actual hitch weight of the RV your looking at purchasing. They should have the actual pin weight recorded by GD when the unit was shipped. You can bet the actual will be higher than what the website average states.