User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery losing voltage

When my Reflection 28BH is in storage my battery loses about one tenth of a volt every day. I have begun disconnecting the battery terminals when stored for an extended time. The battery disconnect switch is off but battery is still being slowly drained. Can anyone help with troubleshooting my problem.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem is the factory disconnect doesn't really turn the power off all the way and you have parasitic losses.

I'm looking for a good aftermarket switch so I won't have to physically unhook the batteries every time.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good disconnect?

BTW, if you've got the lead acid batteries, AFAIK you still have to check on the water level every so often even if the batteries are totally disconnected.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I think the problem is the factory disconnect doesn't really turn the power off all the way and you have parasitic losses.

I'm looking for a good aftermarket switch so I won't have to physically unhook the batteries every time.

BTW, if you've got the lead acid batteries, AFAIK you still have to check on the water level every so often even if the batteries are totally disconnected.
    For a good switch, check out Perko marine switches.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While your drain seems to be a bit higher than usual, this is a common issue with most RV's - not everything is turned off. Smoke/Propane detectors are still running, stereo still pulls power to keep the clock alive, etc. If you want to dig into it, you'll need a voltmeter and to start pulling fuses to see which circuits are still active. Then isolating what is on those circuits. But, as noted, the solution is to do as you do - fully disconnect the battery. Or add in a switch to do the same. Likely most manufactures don't wire it this way for safety concerns, and that doing so would also cut power to the emergency brakes if everything was killed. Others have rewired the available switch to do the same, but it can be kind of a project, depending on your particular trailer.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks "sande005" didn't think about the small items that may be wired in to the battery all the time...I think I'll disconnect the battery for now and maybe in the future add a separate disconnect switch near the battery to insure all voltage is turned off during storage...Thanks, I feel better!!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    This is something I posted a while ago . . . but can't find that thread at the moment. With reference to the question about "a good aftermarket switch", Blue Seas makes a number of affordable good quality surface mount marine battery switches designed to handle high current. From a simple on/off to the four way switch shown in the attached. You can bring the original cable that went to the battery, to this switch and then run a new cable of at least the same size from this switch to the battery. Remember that if this switch is off, nothing will work including the emergency braking system. Of course, the landing gear won't work either so you can't hitch up the trailer anyway . . . which I find is always a good reminder to turn on the switch .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Second Battery.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at Rob's attached pictures on the original layout that he shows you can see the red battery cable going under the protective cover. There is a positive buss bar there with all kind of things hooked to it. What is wired to this buss has power to it all the time. This is what drains the batteries over time.

I just finished my inverter install with 2 Grp 31 AGM batteries and I wired the lead that would normally feed the buss bar to a Perko switch which is the same function of the Blue Sea. This way when I turn it to OFF everything from the battery to the coach is off.
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wired one of the small solar panels to a plug that fits the solar connection on the 5th wheel and have had no issues. I used the same solar panel on our old 5th wheel too. If we don’t go anywhere in a few months I will check on the batteries and the water level. I have two 6 volt batteries.

Tony P
    Tony and Barbara
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F350 KR CC/SB 4X4
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery going dead in storage.

I put a marine power shut off to cut all power usage, the problem was destroying my battery. Easy fix and $25 bucks to fix, now my solar panel is keeping battery charged.