Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar panel mounts

Something I've never seen addressed in talks about solar installations is roof maintenance. I know for EPDM roofs the manufacturer recommends washing the roof with your choice of various approved soaps several times a year. Some folks have used expensive solar panel mounts that allow tilting the panel and thus access to the roof under the panel. The more economical mounting brackets don't appear to allow the panels to be easily removed or tilted to allow access for washing the roof under the panel. I don't know if TPO roofs require periodic washing to keep them in good health but doing so would reduce black streaks on the side of the coach and small trees and such from growing underneath the panels. What say ye solar system owners?
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Something I've never seen addressed in talks about solar installations is roof maintenance. I know for EPDM roofs the manufacturer recommends washing the roof with your choice of various approved soaps several times a year. Some folks have used expensive solar panel mounts that allow tilting the panel and thus access to the roof under the panel. The more economical mounting brackets don't appear to allow the panels to be easily removed or tilted to allow access for washing the roof under the panel. I don't know if TPO roofs require periodic washing to keep them in good health but doing so would reduce black streaks on the side of the coach and small trees and such from growing underneath the panels. What say ye solar system owners?
    Jim, Did you ever hear from anyone about the roof cleaning? I was wondering the same thing. I will be installing panels soon and most of the brackets are too low to get under to clean and make it hard to remove the panel to clean. Tilt brackets are expensive.
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS, 2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in the same boat, I’m going with tilt. I only have 1 large panel going in. If I was doing 4 panels I could see where it would add up

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be putting three panels on this year and I've decided I'll be mounting mine with brackets with a little twist. Where the brackets mount to the panels I plan to install rivet nuts so I can disconnect each panel as needed and reinstall. A rivet nut kit with supplies can be had for a little over 40 bucks.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the tilt brackets for exactly this reason
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM