User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe GD has a clue about what the real world tire failure rate is for the Chinese bombs they put on these trailers. I'm one example. My Chinese bombs didn't make 3 years. I changed the bad tire with the separated tread, drove 50 miles to the nearest Discount Tire worried the whole time I was going to blow another one, and bought 4 new USA made Goodyears. I didn't even know the Westlakes had a warranty on them (my fault, but I bet most people are like me). Left the Westlakes with Discount and went on my way. My point is, I don't think many people report a bad tire on a trailer to GD or Westlake. I didn't.

My opinion is that the Chinese Westlakes are crap tires. That and $1 might get you a cup of coffee.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Data on Westlake Tires - From Grand Design

I’m younger and have much less patience than most here so I didn’t read a dozen articles or study any pie charts. I just saw several dozen real world real time examples of Westlakes failing, including photos and descriptions of the events, posted live on Facebook. This all occurred over the span of 6 months when I was learning all I could about RV’s and specifically our RV, prior to moving into it this past May. When presented with the data I simply wasn’t comfortable leaving Texas until I had the 4 month old Westlakes replaced with Goodyears.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I don't believe GD has a clue about what the real world tire failure rate is for the Chinese bombs they put on these trailers. I'm one example. My Chinese bombs didn't make 3 years. I changed the bad tire with the separated tread, drove 50 miles to the nearest Discount Tire worried the whole time I was going to blow another one, and bought 4 new USA made Goodyears. I didn't even know the Westlakes had a warranty on them (my fault, but I bet most people are like me). Left the Westlakes with Discount and went on my way. My point is, I don't think many people report a bad tire on a trailer to GD or Westlake. I didn't.

My opinion is that the Chinese Westlakes are crap tires. That and $1 might get you a cup of coffee.
    I agree regarding GD's knowledge of actual Westlake tire statistics. My "Chinese Bombs" are Sailuns, which arguably have as good or better track record than your Goodyears. Go figure ...

PS - and Ford is the best truck and Rotella is the best oil. All of these opinions and $1 will definitely get you a cup of coffee - just not Starbucks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    I agree regarding GD's knowledge of actual Westlake tire statistics. My "Chinese Bombs" are Sailuns, which arguably have as good or better track record than your Goodyears. Go figure ...

PS - and Ford is the best truck and Rotella is the best oil. All of these opinions and $1 will definitely get you a cup of coffee - just not Starbucks.
    Agreed.

Ford is the best.

But Royal Purple is the best oil!

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Agreed.

Ford is the best.

But Royal Purple is the best oil!

But, but, but ... it's PURPLE!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chevy's the best ….. end of discusion

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    GD dropped the Good Years because not very many people were buying them.
    Yes, and GD was charging somewhere near $3200 for that option. That’s a major rip off. I put 6 new Goodyear G614’s on for cost of $1800. I sold the West Lakes online and got $500 back. Even if I threw the West Lakes in the trash I saved $1400. Maybe that’s why they couldn’t sell any Goodyears.

I love my Momentum and I have no complaints with GD. But GD, or anyone for that matter, cannot defend that.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Yes, and GD was charging somewhere near $3200 for that option. That’s a major rip off. I put 6 new Goodyear G614’s on for cost of $1800. I sold the West Lakes online and got $500 back. Even if I threw the West Lakes in the trash I saved $1400. Maybe that’s why they couldn’t sell any Goodyears.

I love my Momentum and I have no complaints with GD. But GD, or anyone for that matter, cannot defend that.
    As was once said on some news show, the name of which I don’t recall: “and now for the rest of the story”. Problem with forums is that the rest of the story always comes in pieces and unless you pay close attention, you never get the full story. Good info to have - thanks!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yea that was Paul Harvey’s show on the radio. Used to listen to it when I was a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post

When I ordered our trailer I wanted the Goodyears. But when I saw GD's price I thought they were NUTS. I put Sailuns on after the second trip.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast