User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Bar Casanova View Post
    Our new GD Momentum 398M is about a month old now.
    I'll be switching to the American Made Good Years G's 14 ply Steel at the 6 month mark from past experiences.

$1800. They should come standard IMHO.
    Cheaper than replacing the damaged sheet metal and trim and paint and dealing with indifferent body/paint shop attitude drama when the tread separates from the China bomb.
    Nothing like sitting on that frying pan hot desert asphalt changing a tire on your RV because the AAA service is 5 hours away. Two tires puking at the same time is really an experience.
    I've seen that elephant.

Good brakes and good tires are the most essential on your RV. I don't skimp on either. Brakes serviced every year.
    You convinced me to get a 2nd spare. Reading several reports when one tire goes another may go shortly after or at the same time.

Even though I have G614's on my 5th wheel I probably will get a G-Rated Sailun for the 2nd spare to accompany the G-Rated G614. Now to find a rim that fits?
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    You convinced me to get a 2nd spare. Reading several reports when one tire goes another may go shortly after or at the same time.

Even though I have G614's on my 5th wheel I probably will get a G-Rated Sailun for the 2nd spare to accompany the G-Rated G614. Now to find a rim that fits?
    You'll be so glad you did if the time comes. Most larger tire stores have new spare tire rims in stock. At least out here in the Southwest they do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched my 2 year old Westlakes on my 2017 303RLS to Goodyear endurance last fall while on a trip from Louisiana to New Hampshire. Reason: because they were a fixin’ to blow out. I was three days into my trip and stopped to refuel when I noticed the rounding across the tops of two tires; they were rounded off across the tread pattern rather than flat; they looked more like a motorcycle tire than a trailer tire. This is a clear indication the tire had failed. The belts had separated.

I check tire pressure daily when moving and carry a small compressor to keep them properly inflated. It is my hope the Endurance tires will work, however next summer will tell the difference.

I say this because my last job required me to keep a small fleet of 24’ cargo trailers on the road. I ensured the tires were properly inflated, but we were constantly experiencing blowing outs, sometimes one or two a week. Now some of it was probably the drivers cutting corners and driving over curbs, but once the temps started to climb during our South Louisiana summers, the tires would start to pop.

It didn’t matter what we tried, Goodyear Marathons, Briways, Westlakes; after a year, and into the next summer, the blowouts would start. One poor guy had a blowout on the front tire and shrapnel from that tire ripped the valve stem off the back tire. I started sending out two spares.

At any rate, each trailer was inspected upon its return, and many times I was able to change out the tire before it blew out. I learned what a belt separation looked like.

On my personal trailers, I’ve had one tire blow out. Fortunately, it did not cause any damage. It was a Maxis and it was a triple digit day heading to Arlington, TX. Another showed signs of belt separation. I just don’t think these 15” or 16” trailer tires can handle the heat, even when properly inflated.

I’ve since retired from that job. Before I retired, I was able to convince my bosses to switch from ST (trailer tires) to LT truck tires. According to my ex coworkers, there has only been one blowout since then, and that was from a road hazard.

I plan on getting 16 inch rims and LT tires on my 303 in the future, but as I just put 4 Endurance radials on, now with 8K miles on them, I will give them a chance.
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 Diesel
    2018 Goldwing Tour

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post

I keep planning to do the second spare, too. We experienced a blowout on the rig we owned before the GD Solitude. China bombs. It was traumatic, but I was so proud of myself in the way I dealt with the *first* blowout. Before leaving for the trip, I had checked pressure in all the running tires *and* the spare tire. Oh, I was so diligent! After the tire blew, I got the rig stabilized on the side of the interstate, used my custom designed bottle jack-stand (so smart!), and got the tire changed without any harsh words or undue anxiety. Pulled out with the spare in place and the flat in the back of the pickup. All good.

Within three miles, the spare blew out!!! Whaaat???

Boy was I dejected.

I really need to add the second spare. I'm looking at a unit that mounts under the frame and not on the bumper. Should help some with my pin-weight problem, too.

BTW: The damage from the first blowout came to around $2300.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2E4A8A0A-FE19-4EB6-9747-F319574AE44F.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	28803

Another blowout with the Westlake. Lots of damage to the trailer- fender, aluminum skirting and belly insulation. Caused a dangerous situation for us- super narrow shoulder on interstate!! I Replaced all tires with Goodyear endurance.

Name:	D8C97AC2-1DA5-46E1-BE79-1DBEA1AE07AD.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	28802
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake 225/75/R15 tire failure

Just had a Westlake 225/75/R15 tire failure on my 2018 220RK 5er. I am fastidious about checking my tire pressure and a visual inspection every day before travel and noticed nothing unusual on this particular travel day. We were on our way home from Gulf State Park in Alabama, about a 640 mile round trip and have pretty close to 6K miles on our unit. The blowout happened about half way home on I-65, Ripped out the fender, Sheet metal skirt, put a hole through the subfloor and a piece of the tire flew up and scuffed the fiberglass sidewall under the window. Good thing it happened on the side without the slide. I'll be replacing all 4 plus the spare. From reading this Forum it looks as though the Goodyear G614 is a good replacement. Has anyone had any success with the Michelin version?
    As a note, we have Geico insurance with Road Service. They had a service truck to us in under 40 minutes and there was no charge for the tire change. Very happy with their service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2019 150 Series Reflection 230RL. We have approximately 6000 miles on Load E rated Westlake tires with "L" speed rating. Driving at 68 miles per hour we had a tire basically explode. This ripped off the wheel fender, ripped the wiring from the slideout completely, and it was wrapped around the axle. Also some damage to the underside of the camper, not sure about the propane gas line yet. We had to turn around from a New Mexico trip and limp home. We are replacing the tires completely, will not use these tires again. Will be discussing what Grand Design will do to help with repair costs.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pz23170 View Post
    We have a 2019 150 Series Reflection 230RL. We have approximately 6000 miles on Load E rated Westlake tires with "L" speed rating. Driving at 68 miles per hour we had a tire basically explode. This ripped off the wheel fender, ripped the wiring from the slideout completely, and it was wrapped around the axle. Also some damage to the underside of the camper, not sure about the propane gas line yet. We had to turn around from a New Mexico trip and limp home. We are replacing the tires completely, will not use these tires again. Will be discussing what Grand Design will do to help with repair costs.
    As noted above, same experience. And, that is the same tire on my 2018 230RL
    Load E rated Westlake tires with "L" speed rating. Driving at 68 miles per hour

I was just under 65mph, probably have 5,000 miles on them. Tires are dated 2017.
    These are very dangerous tires- spoke to another GD owner at a RV site 2 days following my incident who had 2 Westlake (same tires) blowouts the same weekend!

And, the amount of damage caused is extensive... Not only to your rig but possibly whoever is behind you on the highway- as the fender and skirting goes flying into other vehicles. I looked in my rear view and a car went off into the shoulder to avoid the flying debris coming from my Grand Design.

Name:	IMG_8227.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	29163
    Rob
    230RL, Fifth Wheel, 2018 yr.
    Ram 2500 short bed, 4x4, Cummins Diesel, 2015 yr.
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have "G" rated Westlakes that are almost 3 years old with somewhere around 30k miles. Doing fine so far. Do plan on new tires by end of year. My air race buddy has a set of "G" rated tires 4 years old and about 40k miles. So far so good. I have destroyed over a dozen "E" rated tires from Goodyear to multiple China bombs
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five minutes prior to my Westlake tire tread separation, TPMS indicated a drop in pressure from 80 pounds to 75 pounds, in the affected tire.
    Pressure remained steady at 75 psi until the tread came off and tore away the trailer molding. (plus other damage)
    The other three tires remained at 80 psi.
    I thought it odd that one out of four tires lost a small amount of pressure while driving on I-10 at 68 mph.
    I now know that the tread was separating and becoming rounded across the tire tread, thus allowing for more volume inside, = less pressure.

All Westlakes have been replaced
    Larry & Jeannie
    Petoskey, MI
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ NHT heavy tow option,
    AirLift airbags, Bilstein Shocks, Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus Tires - 285/50R20 116T XL
    Eeztire TPMS
    2017 Reflection 29RS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast