User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't detach after the dealer left a locking pin in our turning point 5th wheel

Quote Originally Posted by GLSchmidt View Post
    Having purchased our Reflection 295RL not too long ago from a dealer who has a less-than-stellar reputation for customer service, we were anxious to see how they would do when we took it in for its first warranty service after our shakedown outing. We had a short list of fairly minor items we wanted them to take care of, and they did a good job of keeping us informed of the progress and setting up a time to pick up the rig. We arrived yesterday to pick up our rig; the service guys pulled it out for us, we did a quick check to verify what we could, and hooked up to make the 40 mile trip back to the storage lot. Everything seemed fine, and I had a pretty good feeling about the service I had received from the dealership...UNTIL we turned into the storage yard.

I should mention, for those not familiar with the 295RL fifth wheel, that it uses the Turning Point pin box, which is a pivoting pin box. Since we tow with a short bed truck we chose to utilize the swiveling feature of the pin box, which requires that you attach a wedge to the bottom of the pin box; the wedge holds the pin box in a fixed position where it connects to the hitch, forcing the pin box to pivot where it connects to the trailer. The pin box can be used in a conventional configuration by installing two locking bolts which prevents the pin box from rotating. Back to the story...

As we turned into the storage lot we heard a very loud crack/pop sound from the hitch, and then a few seconds later we heard something drop into the bed of the truck (which was a bit worrisome as the truck bed was totally empty except for the hitch, so nothing should have been rattling around or dropping back there). We lined up to back our rig into its parking spot and I got out to find out what caused the noise. Looking into the truck bed I saw the mangled remains of the wedge lying there, along with two bolts that appeared to have been sheared off (these two bolts held the wedge in place). Somehow the wedge had been snapped off while going around the turn; I wasn't sure exactly how it had happened, but my immediate concern was getting the rig backed into it's parking space, and without the wedge in place I couldn't turn the trailer. After thinking about it for a second I figured that I could just use the sheared-off bolts temporarily as locking bolts in the pin box, which would at least allow me to back the trailer into parking position.

So I grabbed the remains of the bolts and moved over to the back of the pin box to install the bolts in the locking holes and was surprised to find -- you guessed it -- there were already bolts there. Yes, for some reason the dealership had REINSTALLED LOCKING BOLTS IN MY PIN BOX and had failed to remove them prior to turning the trailer over to me. The only bright side at this point was that, since the locking bolts were already in place, I could get the trailer backed into its storage space. We backed in, unhooked, and I took pictures of the destroyed hitch head, pin box wedge, bolts, and the pin box itself where the remains of the wedge bolts were still deeply embedded in the face of the pin box. And then placed a call to the dealership and left a message for the service coordinator...

Now, to be fair to the dealership, they were good about calling me back and taking ownership for the issue. They also stated that they were going to be working on arrangements first thing this morning to get the rig transported to their location so that they could perform the necessary repairs and replacement of parts; we'll see how the follow-through from the dealership is today.

All in all this was a little frustrating, but the good thing is that no one was hurt as a result of the equipment failure. You may be wondering why we hadn't had a problem earlier in our 40 mile trip; well, believe it or not, even though the dealership is 40 miles away we don't actually have to make any sharp turns between there and our storage facility -- until we actually have to turn into the storage lot itself.

And the lesson learned for me is that I need to add one more item to my hookup checklist: MAKE SURE NO ONE HAS REINSTALLED PIN BOX LOCKING BOLTS WHILE I WASN'T LOOKING.
    so we took our grand design reflection in for warranty work and we went to pick it up we hooked up and went to leave, we heard a loud noise we stoped 2 times got out and checked and everything looked ok drove it an hour to get home no problem backed into the driveway also no problem but then we couldn't detach. we found a sheared off bolt in the bed of the truck and the metal bent, so i'm assuming they reinstalled a lock pin without us knowing and didn't remove it. we have been on the phone with them but where getting no where is it ok to drive it back to the dealer? or is there a way we can detach and reattach if its not sitting right. thank you for any advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so we took our grand design reflection in for warranty work and we went to pick it up we hooked up and went to leave, we heard a loud noise we stoped 2 times got out and checked and everything looked ok drove it an hour to get home no problem backed into the driveway also no problem but then we couldn't detach. we found a sheared off bolt in the bed of the truck and the metal bent, so i'm assuming they reinstalled a lock pin without us knowing and didn't remove it. we have been on the phone with them but where getting no where is it ok to drive it back to the dealer? or is there a way we can detach and reattach if its not sitting right. thank you for any advice.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a 230RL for almost 3 years. I lost a lot of sleep in the first year about having something like this happen - the first time we towed our 230RL to the Dealer, they did the same thing (we used the TP Hitch in pivot mode with the wedge, and they inserted a lockout bolt so they could move our 230RL with a forklift). However, I caught it and removed the lockout bolt before we hooked up to take our trailer to the storage facility. After this same situation happened the second time we took our trailer in for work, I decided to remove the wedge and install both lockout bolts - thereby disabling the pivot capability where the pinbox attached at the trailer. The difference for us is that we have a F150 with a 6.5 ft bed, so we are fairly safe in turns, but I am PARANOID about hitting the cab if I turn too tight. Your situation is that with a short bed truck, you don't have much choice. Sorry you are in this pickle - rest assured, you are not alone. I have seen FB posts from a number of others that have sheared the wedge and cause severe damage to the hitch, bed, pinbox, etc. No easy fix - you must own what bolts are connected to your hitch at all times. Don't trust the dealer to do this - they deal with too many trailers in a day, and your safety is not a priority.
    Last edited by Ctdecuir; 10-01-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    Chad & Marisa (plus 7.5 lb Enzo!)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost
    - Heavy Duty Payload Package, Max Trailer Tow Package, 6.5' Bed, 18" Wheels
    - Demco Recon 21K Hitch, RetraxPRO MX Bed Cover

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t lube my PullRite slider hitch. Back in and it bent the hitch head. Locked it onto the pin. Some good old boys helped get it off the pin with a crow bar and sledge hammer. Had to drive 200 miles round trip to pick up a hitch head and slider plate. Lost a half day of travel and cost $632. Lesson learned: thoroughly read the manual. Lube the system frequently.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I didn’t lube my PullRite slider hitch. Back in and it bent the hitch head. Locked it onto the pin. Some good old boys helped get it off the pin with a crow bar and sledge hammer. Had to drive 200 miles round trip to pick up a hitch head and slider plate. Lost a half day of travel and cost $632. Lesson learned: thoroughly read the manual. Lube the system frequently.
    thank you
    the dealer sent a mechanic out and he had to do the same thing use a crow bar to get it to release, but thank goodness this is all their fault so they are replacing everything. i will make sure we lube everything also

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Sidewinder pin box on my trailer, which is the same as the Turning point. The couple of times I have gone to the dealers for warranty work, after parking the trailer, I put the bolts in the pin box to lock it in place for them, and I tie a long red banner on the bolts. Same as the "remove before flight" ones on airplanes. They do not get removed, unless the bolts are removed, which I do when I pick up the trailer.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I have the Sidewinder pin box on my trailer, which is the same as the Turning point. The couple of times I have gone to the dealers for warranty work, after parking the trailer, I put the bolts in the pin box to lock it in place for them, and I tie a long red banner on the bolts. Same as the "remove before flight" ones on airplanes. They do not get removed, unless the bolts are removed, which I do when I pick up the trailer.
    thank you i had no idea it even came with locking bolts we were never told when we purchased it and its our first 5th wheel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I hear about mishaps with the special hitches/pinboxes, the better I feel about having a plain manual slider.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mamahen40 View Post
    thank you i had no idea it even came with locking bolts we were never told when we purchased it and its our first 5th wheel
    The dealer should have shown and talked to you about the setup, especially something that important, but not surprised. You can go online and download the manual for it, if you did not get it in all your paperwork.

The trailer should have come with the bolt's, if not dealer needs to get them for you. Important to have the manual, as it has the torque values if you want to make it a fixed pin box, and also how to properly adjust the wedge, along with the torque values for it's bolts.

The dealer has to have the bolt's in, in order to tow it in the shop with a forklift. If they didn't, there would be two pivot points (pin box, and king pin), and it would get ugly towing it.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 10-02-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    The more I hear about mishaps with the special hitches/pinboxes, the better I feel about having a plain manual slider.
    I have read about manual sliders having problems. Key on any of these, is knowing it, and operating it properly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123