User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I have read, followed and book marked your write up when you wrote it. GREAT information. Thank you. I am just concerned with going to low (past level) in the rear of the truck with the trailer on, but also hate to raise the trailer any (it is tall enough!). Man, Ford made these new trucks TALL!. Sorry for the side track. Now back to your regularly schedule interrupt and the original posters questions.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    $600 a year for tags?!? I thought Texas was bad at $80 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My DRW went UP $125 this year to $765 Thanx governor moonbeam!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris
    I have a 2016 F350 Platinum single rear wheels with a GVWR of 11,500 as per door sticker. Are you saying that my GVWR is actually higher if I use the axle ratings. If so my rear axle is rated at 7200 and my front axle is rated at 6000. Does this mean my GVWR is 13,200?
    Thanks
    Bob
    Bob and Shirley (both recently retired)
    Ontario Canada
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2018 Ford Diesel King Ranch F350 Short Bed
    Pull Rite Super Glide

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
    Hi Chris
    I have a 2016 F350 Platinum single rear wheels with a GVWR of 11,500 as per door sticker. Are you saying that my GVWR is actually higher if I use the axle ratings. If so my rear axle is rated at 7200 and my front axle is rated at 6000. Does this mean my GVWR is 13,200?
    Thanks
    Bob
    GVWR never changes - it is what you are taxed on. If you live in certain states where the registration cost is based on GVWR, most manufacturers offer an optional (lower) GVWR. Same truck, just a lower GVWR and lower cost to register. Unless you are a commercial operator, exceeding the GVWR will damage only your conscience.

The individual axle weights should not be exceeded. Generally, axle weights are the lower of tire, axle or suspension ratings.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some info on using Axle Weights instead of GVWR.

By Bob Raybuck
Director of Technical Services
NTEA
    Often, GVWR and gross vehicle weight (GVW) are thought to be the same, but they are not. A truck’s GVWR is the maximum weight rating established by the chassis manufacturer. GVW is the total weight of the truck and payload at a point in time.

There’s a common misconception that a truck’s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, it’s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It is not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.

By Bob Raybuck
NTEA “

https://drivewyze.com/blog/trucking-...g-work-trucks/

https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Member_ben...rk_trucks.aspx

https://www.usspecial.com/2018/01/page/13/

http://procontractorrentals.com/page...iderations.php

https://www.worktruckonline.com/1457...um-net-payload

This statement shows up in Manufactures towing guides and Manufactures Owner Manual.

“5th-Wheel Towing Notes:
    This information also applies to models with pickup box delete option (66D). Trailer kingpin load weight should be 15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure that the vehicle payload (reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer kingpin load weight and the weight of passengers and cargo added to the towing vehicle. The addition of trailer kingpin load weight, and the weight of passengers and cargo, must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification LabeL

On Page 30

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...Duty&year=2018

Hi Chris
    Thanks
    Bob
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you watch how you load and load light you get away with low option 1-ton SRW Diesel but mine I would overload my GVWR GAWR and Trie Ratings if loaded to the 15,000 GVWR of the 310GK. Look this over and these are CAT scale.

Specs of a 310GK-R weighted at a CAT scale on 30 Oct 2016
    Status from Grand Design Website.
    UVW 12,100
    Dry Pin Weight 2350
    From Grand Design Weight Sheet that came with my 5er and has my VIN listed on the top of the sheet.
    GVWR 15,000
    GAWR (Per Axle) 7,000
    UVW 12226 (Matches Sticker on 5er)
    Hitch Weight 2392
    Left (Street Side) 5326
    Right (Curb Side) 4508
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 2714
    Truck Specs
    Ford F350 Diesel SuperCab 143” Wheel Base 6.5 foot bed.
    B&W Campion Hitch non slider
    Web Spec 4080 Payload
    Yellow Door Sticker 3744
    GVWR 11,500
    Rear Axle Ratings 7,000
    Front Axle Ratings 5,200
    GCWR 22,500
    Tow Rating 15,900
    Truck ONLY Weight Cat Scales
    Front Axle Weight - 4740
    Rear Axle Weight - 3480
    Total Weight 8220
    Cat Scale With 5er Hooked up
    Steering Axle - 5000lbs
    Drive Axle 6320
    Trailer Axle 10,520
    Gross Combine Weight 21,840
    Bottom Line
    Truck Weight (Truck Only) 8220
    Truck Weight (Hitched) 11,320
    Camper Weight 13,620
    Pin Weight 3,100
    Pin Weight Percentage 22.8%
    2392 Factory Pin Weight 3100 scale weight increase of 708 pounds
    12,226 Factory UVW 13,600 Cat Scale Weight increase of 1374 lbs
    Over 50% of the 1374 pounds loaded went to pin weight
    Just goes to show how much weight is loaded forward of the axle
    Factory Scale weighs of 2392 pin and 12,226 UVW = 19.6 percent pin weight
    Cat Scale Weights 13600 GVW and 3100 pin = 22.8 percent pin percentage or increase of 3.2 Percent over Dry percentage
    I’m within 180 pounds of my GVWR of my trucks 11,500 GVWR. We were loaded for a week long trip and we are not full timers.
    It sets about 1 high in the front but only has 5 inches of clearance between the 5er and the trucks bed rails.

Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris
    Thanks
    Bob
    Howittro - The above replies pretty much cover GVWR and axle ratings. The GVWR is whatever the manufacture printed on your official door sticker and only the manufacture can change it (which they never will). My personal take (nothing official) is the GVWR is a **general** representation of a trucks capability. It is very handy to compare different classes for trucks (1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW vs 1 ton DRW). It is also used for legal purposes and may effect your taxes/license fees. Violating it by a little **may** have legal consequences (ticket or ??) if you are ever checked. The axle ratings, as SouthTX said, the axle weight ratings are the least of many separate components (tires, wheels, axles, springs frame, etc). While engineers design in margin on each part, exceeding the axle weight rating is **in my opinion** is risky as you are cutting into YOUR safety margin. You should do what YOU are comfortable with.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had this explained to use at FMCA seminar by a retired Ford Engineer. GVWR is Chassis/Frame Rating independent of the axles and not overall general rating. He provided us the link to Bob Raybuck
 NTEA that I quoted above. The Frame is part of the GVWR assigned to the Chassis and the axles have their own rating. Exceeding the GVWR your exceeding the Chassis and Frame ratings but most likely not the axle ratings. That is why tow guides and trucks manual has the warning not to exceed either the GVWR or the GAWR. GMC even put warning that exceeding the GVWR can cause "Unusual suspension behavior, making the vehicle hard to control" and "Brakes unable to stop the truck or SUV in a timely manner".

Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Howittro - The above replies pretty much cover GVWR and axle ratings. The GVWR is whatever the manufacture printed on your official door sticker and only the manufacture can change it (which they never will). My personal take (nothing official) is the GVWR is a **general** representation of a trucks capability. It is very handy to compare different classes for trucks (1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton vs 1 ton SRW vs 1 ton DRW). It is also used for legal purposes and may effect your taxes/license fees. Violating it by a little **may** have legal consequences (ticket or ??) if you are ever checked. The axle ratings, as SouthTX said, the axle weight ratings are the least of many separate components (tires, wheels, axles, springs frame, etc). While engineers design in margin on each part, exceeding the axle weight rating is **in my opinion** is risky as you are cutting into YOUR safety margin. You should do what YOU are comfortable with.

Chris
    Dennis & Ellie

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post

Chris
    Even the manufacturer cann't change the sticker. They would have to call in the agency that does the certifying and pay them to re-certify them. At least this is what I was told by GD.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to play off the structure Dennis used above as I reviewed this thread when deciding on my truck. I went with a standard bed SRW because a) All my local experts said it would work for our needs, and b) The spousal approval factor of getting something that will fit in our garage and make a more friendly DD. Prior to her calling in the experts, I was convinced I needed a DRW.

We've already towed the 310 GK over 700 miles, twice going over 10,000' altitude. The rig works so much better than our SUV and travel trailer combo we're moving up from. But I could also guess what a DRW would mean for increased stability and payload margin.

Specs of a 310 GK weighted at a industrial scale on 27 Aug 2019
    Status from Grand Design Website.
    UVW 12,100
    Dry Pin Weight 2350
    From Grand Design Weight Sheet that came with my 5er
    GVWR 15,000
    GAWR (Per Axle) 7,000
    UVW 12222
    Cargo Carrying Capacity 2718
    Truck Specs
    2019 Ford F350 CC PSD Platinum 6.75 foot bed.
    B&W Turnover Ball Hitch with B&W 4" Offset Ball
    Andersen Ultimate Connection
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Airbags
    Yellow Door Payload Sticker 3,479
    GVWR 11,500
    Rear Axle Ratings 7,000
    Front Axle Ratings 5,200
    GCWR 22,500
    Truck ONLY Weight industrial scale
    Front Axle Weight - 4,,820
    Rear Axle Weight - 3460
    Total Weight 8,260
    Cat Scale With 5er Hooked up
    Steering Axle - 4,700lbs
    Drive Axle 6,520
    Trailer Axle 11,280
    Gross Combine Weight 19,560
    Bottom Line
    Truck Weight (Truck Only) 8,280
    Truck Weight (Hitched) 11,220
    Camper Weight 14,240
    Pin Weight 2,780-2,960
    12,222 Factory UVW 14,240 Scale Weight - Gear and water 1,838

Some of my notes:
    I rushed through the weighing because the president of the division was helping me, not the shop guy I was expecting. There were some inconsistencies I'd like to address when I go back in a couple of months.
    Front axles lost 120 lbs because of the pin weight being slightly behind the rear axle.
    I had the freshwater tank more than 2/3 full. Truck was nearly full of fuel and DEF.
    Our 310 GK has the generator prep, but not the Onan yet. No washer either.
    Depending on the conservative or generous weights I look at from today, I have 280-440 lbs of payload to work with.

The offset ball for the B&W gives me enough level-ground clearance for tight backing, but I'll still be very careful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	22206

Best regards,
    Chris
    2020 Solitude 310GK FBP
    2019 Ford F350 SRW CCSB AUH
    Former Rig - 2013 North Trail FBS22
    2013 Expedition EL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast