User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I came here just to check on folks towing a 310 with an F350 diesel. Right now I have a 337 and am thinking about going to the 310.
    Retired SF Sergeant Major
    Retired Sheriff's detective

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    I really enjoy reading these posts! There is so much more to pulling a trailer than a person thinks. I was very oblivious to a lot of this information before I started reading these forums. I'm totally guilty of thinking that if you bought a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, you be able to pull anything you wanted, especially if you have a diesel. I'm feeling pretty fortunate that I bought a 1 ton. One of the reasons I bought the one ton was because here in MN I only pay $125 for my license tabs. A comparable 3/4 ton would be over $600. Also the fuel economy and ride quality were seemingly negligible. My truck payload sticker says 4,006 lbs. The rear axle weight rating on the sticker is 7,000 lbs. The front axle is 5,500 lbs. My GVWR is 11,400 lbs. I have a Reflection 28BH with an advertised unloaded hitch weight of 1,545 lbs. The camper GVWR is 10,995 lbs. If I use the 21%-23% figure that has been discussed in these forums, I'd probably be over the payload rating of the sticker on a 3/4 ton. I'm well under on my 1 ton and could potentially go with a bigger camper in the future. I don't foresee me doing that anytime soon but I could. I'm just a rookie so staying under the yellow sticker payload gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe when I become a seasoned veteran like most folks here, I will know where I can let the numbers slide a bit. But for now, I'm sure glad I have a 1 ton to pull my medium sized fifth wheel.
    I hear you, enjoy reading also and my sympathies. Been there myself! Its no wonder owners get confused and disgusted with the whole decision making process, its like trying to hit a moving target! Payload, GVWRs, UVWs, GAWRs, GCWR, CCC, Max Tow, Listed Vs possible Vs actual pin weight, tire ratings, Guesstimates, opinions, laws, rules, physics, do this, don't do that, what if, I do it all the time, I've never had any trouble towing my 5th wheel with my pinto, on and on.

About the time you think(?) you understand it numbers wise and have it narrowed down, then you add in; Long bed, short bed, hitch -slider, goose neck, fixed, Will it fit in my garage, parking, daily driver, I'll have to wash it by hand, will I need a special drivers license, Oh crap I'll have to buy 6 tires, I don't like the looks of it Wide Hips, taxes, registration, De-rated GVWR, diesel Vs gas, fuel prices, Ford, GM or Ram. Enough!! I give up!! Somebody make the decision for me!!

One day you will be looking at the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen, sipping your favorite drink!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-01-2020 at 09:31 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I hear you, enjoy reading also and my sympathies. Been there myself! Its no wonder owners get confused and disgusted with the whole decision making process, its like trying to hit a moving target! Payload, GVWRs, UVWs, GAWRs, GCWR, CCC, Max Tow, Listed Vs possible Vs actual pin weight, tire ratings, Guesstimates, opinions, laws, rules, physics, do this, don't do that, what if, I do it all the time, I've never had any trouble towing my 5th wheel with my pinto, on and on.

About the time you think(?) you understand it numbers wise and have it narrowed down, then you add in; Long bed, short bed, hitch -slider, goose neck, fixed, Will it fit in my garage, parking, daily driver, I'll have to wash it by hand, will I need a special drivers license, Oh crap I'll have to buy 6 tires, I don't like the looks of it Wide Hips, taxes, registration, De-rated GVWR, diesel Vs gas, fuel prices, Ford, GM or Ram. Enough!! I give up!! Somebody make the decision for me!!

One day you will be looking at the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen, sipping your favorite drink!
    LOL post of the year right here! Steve I think you covered every point there is on how to pick a tow vehicle. You only left out two items....the best trailer tires to run and the best oil to use lol!!!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123