User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Attwood Helium refridgerator quit working

I have a 2014 293 reflection 5th wheel. My atwood helium refridgerator seems to working intermittently. Any Idea's as to a starting place to troubleshoot? Thanks

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    melbin - Does the fridge work better on propane than on electric, or vise versa ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got tired of ours having one problem after another, replaced it with dometic this past fall. 2014 293 also.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far it is an intermittant problem will not work on either setting when not working making sounds like its working but no cool. Lights on door look normal and all work fine.
    Its got me scratching my head, either wiring or time for a new refridge. Already replaced AC unit and had a swintec problem. Hope it gets better. thanks for your reply

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make a call to Dometic Technical Service Department Phone +1 800-216-5115 . They're very helpful and should be able to help you troubleshoot and get parts to you.
    I called this winter to purchase a new door tray and they sent all clear shelves and crisper drawers for no charge.

We had an intermittent issue for almost a year . It took time to figure out I was turning the darn thing off occasionally while cleaning the face of the fridge. Now that I pay attention the problem went away.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been real happy with that fridge and the constant use of the fan. I was having problems with it occasionally not working in electric mode. I replaced the heating element to solve that problem. Then we started having issues with it cooling. While on a trip I noticed a yellow substance on the outside of the rig and it was coming from refer. I died a peaceful death! When I talked to my local GD dealer he suggested that I install a Dometic as the current Norcolds in the newer rigs were also having problems. I bought a direct replacement for $900 and installed it myself. So far so good.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model of dometic did you replace with and was it very hard to change out?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the trailer at my house but if you put in the dimensions in the camping world web site you'll find the replacement. Installation was a breeze, pulled the old one out and put the new one in. I did have to get a 45 degree propane adapter due to propane feed being slightly higher. Had to trim one hold down tab in the back to avoid hitting the propane line coming up through the floor. But, I've seen pictures of other owners and the hole was located in a different spot so I'm guessing it depends on who cut the hole as to whether or not you would have that issue.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my Atwood Refrigerator with the Dometic model that GDRV went to in production a couple of years ago. The Atwood was a model HE-0801 and the Dometic is a model DM2862. They are "nominally" the same size . . . but not quite!

After removing the Atwood, the opening was 1/8" too narrow and 1" too tall for the Dometic. Trimming the 1/8" was tricky and I used a piece of 1/2" plywood on the floor to split the height difference which was covered by the Dometic trim pieces. With the Atwood, there is a wooden baffle across the top outside access panel. This had to be removed and new baffles fabricated to fit around the Dometic heat exchanger. The picture shows the plywood mock-ups . . . I eventually made aluminum baffle plates. I also had to cut away the end of one foot at the back to clear the propane hose entry.

If you can find one of these Dometic fridges for $900 that would be a steal . . . most of the online websites are showing $1200 plus shipping.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1534.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Atwood frig went out completely on my 2014 RES293. I had a warranty and since my original helium frig was discontinued, they let me replace with a Norclod. While it's been much better at cooling, after five months the on/off button failed and I'm now dealing with a factory warranty to fix that

The cost of an RV Tech to replace the unit was $2900. A little steep, but the warranty company paid all but a $200 deductible and shipping cost. I must also note that I have been living full time in my Reflection for over four years.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana
    2014 Grand Designs Reflection 293RES #0477
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast