User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No heat after selecting electric furnace; AC runs instead

I've got an AirXcel LED display thermostat. I select Heat-Gas and the gas furnace operates. I select Heat-Elec and the living area AC operates. Air flow from the AC seems to be room temperature, and there is no air flow from the floor level vents.

No circuit breakers are tripped, and the AirXcel does not have a fan selection (Hi/Lo/Auto) when Heat-Elec is selected.

The silly "fireplace" works fine.

I'm thinking the furnace is not wired properly. Suggestions?

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you actually have the optional heat pump?

Electric heat will run through the a/c system, not the floor ducts, and only if you have the optional heat pump A/C unit.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I've got an AirXcel LED display thermostat. I select Heat-Gas and the gas furnace operates. I select Heat-Elec and the living area AC operates. Air flow from the AC seems to be room temperature, and there is no air flow from the floor level vents. No circuit breakers are tripped, and the AirXcel does not have a fan selection (Hi/Lo/Auto) when Heat-Elec is selected. The silly "fireplace" works fine. I'm thinking the furnace is not wired properly. Suggestions? -Steve
    Steve, as @huntr70 has suggested it sounds like your heat pump-equipped AC is operating normally. That's what Heat-Elec on your thermostat is for - operating the heat pump. There is no electric option for the furnace, it's gas only.

If you check your bedroom thermostat you'll note that the Heat-Elec option doesn't appear there because (as we discovered to our big disappointment) when the Heat Pump option is chosen on ordering a trailer GD puts the option on just the living room air conditioner, not the bedroom one.

As for the air flow temperature being "room temperature", if you read the manual for the heat pump air conditioner you'll find that it operates efficiently as a heat pump in only a very narrow range of temperatures (I forget what they are, but only about 4-5 degrees) and outside of that range the heat pump won't provide much benefit.

The "silly" fireplace on the other hand does work well to raise temperatures on cool nights; give it a chance. The temperature on it can be raised/lowered, so if you've found it not helping much then maybe you need to raise the temp. Plus, it's got all those beautiful <gag> LED display options to warm the cockles of your heart.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always thought a fireplace was ludicrous in a RV...now we have one we LOVE it and it keeps our 303 RLS warm!