User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RetArmyMSG

Not too happy with AC

We spent the weekend in Las Cruces and it only got to about 85 outside. This was the first test to see how well the ACs worked and I gotta say Im a little disappointed. During the hottest part of the day the inside temp only got to 74. We had the main AC and the one in the bedroom on high all day and I was hoping to see somewhere around 68. Makes me wonder how they are going to perform during the 100+ El Paso summer.

jaw3336
    I share your concerns.

With the Main AC on high you can barely feel air blowing out of the kitchen vents and you feel basically nothing in the bathroom or bedroom vents. I closed the 4 vents in the living room and you still can't feel much air in the kitchen and basically nothing in the bathroom or bedroom.

It almost seems like there has to be something blocking the airflow to the rear vents. When I turn on the rear/bedroom AC you can feel it great in the bathroom and better than the main AC in the kitchen, but you feel basically nothing in the living room

We only have 30amp power right now so I can't run both at the same time, but the main ac basically didn't cool the trailer while it was 90 degrees outside. It was 88 inside almost all day, and that was with the trailer empty, no warm bodies inside.

I am very concerned because this was our biggest problem in our old trailer, HEAT.

It only had one ac and was not nearly enough to beat 100 degree day.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were out this weekend and it was about 80 and the air worked fine. We only used the main AC and it keep it around 68 and seemed to be blowing strong. Make sure that what I call quick cool is completely closed. Also might want to check and make sure the 30amp is working correct. We tested a unit that was hooked up to 30amp but it was not getting the full 30 and the ac work like you said yours didn't.

Bill and Cathy
    Solitude 369RL
    Ford E 550

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill and Cathy View Post
    We were out this weekend and it was about 80 and the air worked fine. We only used the main AC and it keep it around 68 and seemed to be blowing strong. Make sure that what I call quick cool is completely closed. Also might want to check and make sure the 30amp is working correct. We tested a unit that was hooked up to 30amp but it was not getting the full 30 and the ac work like you said yours didn't.

Bill and Cathy
    Solitude 369RL
    Ford E 550
    We've had the same experience. I had an A/C tech tell me that if the voltage drops to around 90-95, it can damage the compressor. He advised me to put a volt meter in just to moniter voltage. Picked one up at the local RV shop. It's the type that just plugs in to a regular oulet. Only costs about $15. The electronics are designed to run off of 120 volts and if the voltage drops too much, it can actually cause electric motors and other comonents to overheat. I'm no electronic expert, but it made sense.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

marmidor
    Our AC cools great. You could hang meat in our 5th wheel but dang it is SO LOUD!!!!!!!! Sounds like an airplane about to take off. At night when I am sleeping I feel like I am sleeping on top of a cranked engine.

jaw3336
    We were at a local park last weekend and had both A/C's running full blast starting at 11am. The temp hit about 92 mid afternoon. The trailer was comfortable, high 70's inside and the A/C in the living room ran full blast the entire day. This tells me it will be hot inside the camper when the temps get above 95. I am very disappointed, not with GD but with the industry. They need to do a better job with insulation, or a better job building the A/C units. The only saving grace is the having an A/C in the bedroom insures we will sleep well at night and not be hot.

Those things are so loud also. Would another brand be quieter or better?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find my unit cools better if I keep the bedroom door closed. I think the location of the temperature sensor for the front AC unit tends to registers 2-3 degrees lower. With the bedroom door open the cool air comes down the stairs and cools down the sensor before the living room is cool enough. The living room area seems to cool better with the bedroom door closed.
    Joe - Dallas, Texas
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Joe View Post
    The living room area seems to cool better with the bedroom door closed.
    Joe, ours seems to be right the opposite. On our last trip a couple of weeks ago, our Granddaughter was up in the bedroom watching a movie with the door closed. I noticed that the a/c in the living room wasn't coming on and it was starting to get warm. I went up into the bedroom to check the thermostat and everything seemed to be ok. I left the bedroom door opened and the living room a/c started running again and cooled down the living room. I wonder if our sensor is wired wrong, because the bedroom was ice cold and my Granddaughter said the bedroom a/c was running the entire time she was in there with the door closed.

On our thermostat, the bedroom is Zone 1 and the living room is Zone 2. I guess I need to get this checked out.

Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not happy with our Dometic A/C in our 303 Reflection. The first two years it worked fine. Now into our third year the unit stopped cooling. WE store our trailer 6 months out of the year and have only used it three times each summer. So far I guess we have only used the A/c about 70 times in the 3tree years (70 times is a high number and an estimate as we don't like it too cold ) and it stopped cooling. It has always been VERY LOUD !! We have had trailers with air since 1973, have towed all over the us and to Alaska Our other trailers we usually keep about 12 years and have never had an A/C problem. I am not happy with Dometic. I called Dometic and they really didn't care. It is out of warranty. Two years and we only really got about 1 1/2 years considering it was stored for 18 months over the past three tears... I would love to sell a product and warranty it for two years.. That does not say much for the confidence in their product. Also they didn't offer and compensation, or care at all. I did check with some rv dealers around pa, theytold me they replaced a lot of Dometic units.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Titan Disc Brakes
    Hensley hitch
    2002 GMC Duramax 3:73 rear, 2 wheel drive

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of threads out there about sealing your ducts. Sounds like a lot of people need to check theirs to make sure the cold air isn't going into their ceiling instead of their ductwork.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast