User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin RV660 Navigator

Topic fits here better than anywhere else I guess.

We got tired of using our cell phones for navigation and the service dropping out. So Amazon had a sale on the Garmin units so we got the RV660 model. Seems to work great, been playing around with it before we actually have to depend on it. You can load in your RV and TV length, width, height. It can operate in RV mode when you towing and in Car mode after you have dropped your RV at a camp site. It will even keep track of the mileage and a place to store maintenance item mileage like oil changes and so forth. Tracks near by banks, fuel stations, restaurants, repair places and so forth. Fairly big screen so its easy to see from the passengers navigation position. Has a good volume control so I can hear it over my old diesel engine.

Anybody else have one and can say how it works for you?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you like yours. I've been considering one for a while now; Would like to hear what others think as well!
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and really like it. So far in 10 months it has not steered me wrong. Do yourself a favor. If you haven't all ready, do an up-date. Mine came with an out dated map. It works so much better now that it knows where all the roads are LOL.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have one, and had it's predecessor, the Dezl 760. In general, really do like it. Be a bit careful, especially in towns - there are places where it routes you very, very funny, to get you to preferred truck routes (which it is based on). Luckily I was not towing, but there were some pretty narrow, windy residential streets it took me on when thinking I was towing. Places I would never, ever go with a trailer.
    Also, if it sees an obstacle anywhere on your route, it may take you 100's of miles out of the way, and it is very hard to figure out what the obstacle is, or where it is. In one case, it was a tunnel supposedly too low for my trailer. Turns out the database it uses referred to the side of the tunnel near the edge of the road. In the travel lane, I had a good three feet of clearance. But it was pretty nerve wracking listening to it's insistent "you're going to crash warnings" as I got closer and closer. But since Greyhound buses were coming the other way, I figured I might be OK...and was.
    The only other issue - it does not warn about propane restrictions - so I've been a bad person and gone through some tunnels that I shouldn't have gone through where I had no chance to turn around after seeing the signs.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. I did update the software maps right after we took it out of the box. As with any of these types of devices they are relying on the data they get from other sources. I had to chuckle at the warnings and agreement clauses you have to step through, they make a point to warn you that all data may not be accurate.
    We probably wont be traveling through tunnels and such where we intend to travel but you never know. I remember many years ago my wife's parents were in New England somewhere towing their RV and came upon a tunnel where it required them to remove the propane tanks from their unit and leave them before going through the tunnel. Some how they got their unit turned around and didn't go through the tunnel. As I say that was many, many years ago.

Our problem down here in Texas and many other places I'm sure, is that we have been routed through some really small towns sometimes and the traffic lights hang down really low. Haven't hit one yet but I'm sure its been close and our Imagine is only 11 feet. When we go fulltime and get a unit like a Reflection 337, it most likely will hit some traffic lights in small towns. We are going to have to learn to stay out of these rural small town side streets and stick to the main highways.

The Wife and I were talking about all the electronic gear we may eventually get for our TV. Where are we going to mount all this stuff in the truck? the rear camera is rubber banded to the rear view mirror, our new RV660 can somehow be mounted to the overhead light console or maybe the sunvisor, then if we get a tire monitoring system, where will it go?
    You would think we are gearing up for battle with all the monitors we may get.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got the Garmin 770 about a month ago and so far we like it.

Steve what you have to watch for in the old towns is going under an old RR track. Many are not up to today's height standards.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

Steve what you have to watch for in the old towns is going under an old RR track. Many are not up to today's height standards.

Red
    Oh my yes Red, I temp forgot about those. There is one near where my Daughter lives in Franklin Ohio, 10 feet and one lane. Its on a old side street. Problem is many of these places only have a sign on the overpass and no warning a mile back. Gosh wouldn't that be a PITA to have to back up and somehow turn around with a 50 something foot rig! I hope our new RV660 navigator knows about these from databases, but I suppose only if someone has loaded that date into a database somewhere.

Thats always been my biggest fear driving an RV rig, and going fulltime, getting the rig stranded where you have to back it up and find a place big enough to get it turned around. Tying up traffic. But all we can do is the best at planning where we are going and the roads to get there. We are hoping this new RV660 navigator will help us with that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Good Sam trip planner program twice and it routed me thru a low bridge on each of the trips, (I even drug the route thru a known low bridge and it threw a flag right away), must work only on major roads. We've waited for 45 minutes for a stopped train then had to back up the rig for a half mile, had the wife walk behind to flag traffic. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

Red
    So far we've not been too happy with our 770 Red. Several times now, it has just plain missed giving the correct routing into an RV park or sending us on a wild excursion that made no sense at all. It seems to do okay on major highways, but once you get into town or small roads leading to an RV park, it misses the mark. It has led us astray so many times that now we not only check a map, but run a second GPS on our phones just to make sure that the 770 isn't having a bad day.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Garmin 760 and if I had to do again I wouldn't purchases it. It has been excellent GPS and has only lead me wrong a couple of times and save me more times then I could count. Most of my GPS duties has been turn over to the RV version of Co-Pilot for the Ipad which also uses weight, size and propane in selecting routes. What I like is being able to zoom out see the complete route and dragging the route to change it. I can look ahead and find rest stops, truck stops and camp grounds and even has traffic. The maps are downloaded to the Ipad so I'm not dependent on any outside cell connections much like the Garmin. The Ipad can be used for other uses when not being used as a GPS and also has all my RVing apps on one device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast