User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

compartment door too close

Has anyone else had the problem of when you are hooked up you are unable to open your front compartment door without it hitting the tailgate? I have a Reflection 27RL that I pull with a 2018 Ford F250. It makes it real hard to use that compartment for any leveling, hooking up, or dumping things.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The interference of the front compartment door opening up while hitched is pretty common across many brands and models.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone come up with a solution? I was thinking a piano hinge run horizontally on the door that would allow the door to get past the tailgate and then be able be hooked up.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most peeps (including myself) just avoid putting things in there that are needed while hooked up.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I think most peeps (including myself) just avoid putting things in there that are needed while hooked up.
    Pretty much my approach...

OP, you could do something like this - splitting the door and hinging, but it's a bit more involved. First, the core of the door cannot support fasteners by itself. You'll really need to frame the core just like all baggage doors are framed. Then you will need a hinge with very tight tolerance and also may need to devise a lip/sealing configuration to keep water out because the spray from the TV during towing in the rain will easy soak the compartment otherwise. I think it can be done, but you may wish to enlist the Challenger Door company in Indiana to help you. They make all sorts of trailer doors, custom, and likely have materials in matching finish too.
    Last edited by geotex1; 06-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. I like to use that compartment because it is so convenient for set up. Right now I am using valuable basement space to hold those things. It looks like a work in progress.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    When we started setting up our rig, that compartment was designated as the workshop. For my husband. He has all his tools and stuff in there. That's where the batteries are, and he put the panel for our solar system in there. Satellite dish rides in there, too.

Hoses, landing pads, etc stuff for hooking up, is in the basement storage. Doesn't really take a lot of space.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    When we started setting up our rig, that compartment was designated as the workshop. For my husband. He has all his tools and stuff in there. That's where the batteries are, and he put the panel for our solar system in there. Satellite dish rides in there, too.

Hoses, landing pads, etc stuff for hooking up, is in the basement storage. Doesn't really take a lot of space.
    Think this is your answer. It is what it is. On a TT the back of the truck cannot have anything you might need before you disconnect the trailer. The truck tailgate will not open as it hits the tongue jack. once you get used to it, life is good.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Think this is your answer. It is what it is. On a TT the back of the truck cannot have anything you might need before you disconnect the trailer. The truck tailgate will not open as it hits the tongue jack. once you get used to it, life is good.
    Tailgate on my F350 clears the tongue jack by 4-5" on our TT, probably because of the length of the Sway Pro WDH.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Tailgate on my F350 clears the tongue jack by 4-5" on our TT, probably because of the length of the Sway Pro WDH.
    Good point. From the face of the receiver to the center of the ball, I have about 9 inches. If it was 12 or more, the tailgate would open. Your Sway Pro must have that clearance.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast