User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, you had some heck of a scare! We're doing a 10 week trip with the kids, starting in a few weeks, and I'm definitely worried about getting sick while on the road. I'm bringing all sorts of meds and potions with us, but you can never know when a bad respiratory infection knocks you down.

I hope the rest of the year goes much more smoothly for you and your wife!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob & Laura- WOW just getting caught up after arriving back home to take our 303 to GDRV Customer Service Center for a few weeks work. Scary post with serious situations........hope you both are back to normal or close and getting ready to get back in the saddle again. Carol is a nurse and has shared how serious this past year flu season has been......thank goodness this is nearly behind us now and more importantly behind you two.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    As we were traveling west across west Texas mid-February, we stopped for a night and I discovered that the floor at the back of the dinette slide (curb side on the 337) was bowing/sagging below the back end wall of the slide. The black plastic trim had popped out and had allowed a little water from a recent rain to intrude and wet the flooring material of the slide a bit at that back edge. Our destination was Las Cruces, NM, for a month's stay near family, so I got out the Gorilla tape and made sure the area was weather-tight before moving on the next morning.

Upon arriving in Las Cruces, I contacted Richard's RV Service and Richard came out to take a look. He found that a number of the screws going through the trim at the bottom of the back slide wall into the sub-floor had sheared off. (I've read other posts on the forum where this is happening as a result of over torquing the screws at the factory.) Richard also found that the slide seals - both sweeps and bulbs - were in much worse shape than they should have been on a properly maintained unit that's not yet three years old. I called GD Customer Service (initially about just the floor joint issue) and, since there is a three-year structural warranty, a case number was created and GD said they would cover the repairs. As Richard communicated with GD reporting his findings and developing a game plan, he discussed the seals with them and the seals were added to the warranty case number. It took about two months to get everything done - partly due to the fact that GD sent the wrong seals the first time (for 1-1/2" thick walls rather than the 2" walls on the Reflection). The new seals are a different design and from a different supplier. The sweeps flip in and out on their own, which the OEM seals were reluctant to do, and seem to be a better material, design and fit.

Now, for my near-complete absence from the forum for a while (bear with me). We pulled in to Las Cruces on 18 February with plans to stay a month and help my sisters care for our 87 y.o. mother who is in poor health. She wasn't doing well when we arrived and, unfortunately, was admitted to the hospital about a week after we got here. After about a week in the hospital, she was discharged to a rehab facility for a three week stay and then back to assisted living.

We extended our stay here (yes - we're still in Las Cruces) due to Mom's situation and to have some extra time for a visit by our daughter and the three youngest grandkids from Baltimore. They had visited Arizona last year but had never been to New Mexico. Our son-in-law is a pilot for Southwest, so they fly for free (space available) whenever they like. Here's where all the plans started to derail. Our daughter and at least one of the grandkids had "colds" when they arrived. Five days in close proximity and in the vehicles driving around NM seeing the sights and Nona and Grandpa Rob ended up sick. I could barely breathe when I drove them back to the El Paso airport on a Friday. By Sunday, Laura and I were both so sick we went to the nearest urgent care center where we were both diagnosed with Flu B (by swab test), given Tamiflu - although too late to do any good - and sent home.

Things only went downhill from there. On Thursday, Laura contacted one of my sisters and asked for help. My brother-in-law, a veterinarian, showed up with a mask on, masks for us, and the truck windows down to transport us back to the UCC. On arrival there, my temp was 103.6. Laura's was 103.2 but her BP was tanking, heart rate increasing, and she became delirious in the waiting room. In other words (and unfortunately this old Army nurse recognized this and it scared the sh!t out of me), she was exhibiting symptoms of shock and, under the circumstances, likely septic shock. We both had pneumonia. After triage and initial treatment at the UCC, Laura was transported by ambulance to the ED at one of our two local hospitals where the pneumonia diagnosis held up and the sepsis was confirmed with blood cultures. Having had one wife transported by ambulance and not survive, you can imagine that a tinge of PTSD reared its ugly head.

Laura's delirium lasted for three of her five days in the hospital and she's just now, three and a half weeks after discharge, getting back to something close to normal. While Laura was in the hospital, I came back to the rig with oral antibiotics and spent the first three nights soaking the bed sheets to the point where they could have been wrung out. I barely had the energy to drive myself up to the hospital each day to spend some time with Laura and try to convince her that neither of us was going to die. Fortunately, there was light at the end of that particular tunnel and we are both feeling much better now. We are both starting to get "hitch itch" and hope to be on the road again in the next two to four weeks. Unfortunately, rather than meandering north and making our way through Colorado before heading to Cincinnati to visit our son and DIL who live there, we'll probably need to head back to the Augusta, GA, area for follow-ups with our regular health care providers. I guess plans are what we make before life intervenes - but we're glad to be back among the living.

Rob
    Having just read this post I would say that if it were today they would assume you had Covid. Glad you got over it back then and hoping you are well......well into the future. I enjoy reading your comments and helpful hints, tricks, & tips.

Pierre
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your illness, happy for your recovery.
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Bob A.
    Thanks, Bob. (You realize this was a 2018 thread...)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob A.
    Nope, I screwed up, sorry.
    Was not paying attention
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I screwed up, sorry.
    Was not paying attention
    No harm, no foul - plus I'll accept good wishes and empathy any day!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad thing worked out, Also USAR ANC 66F. Was Adjunct Faculty at the schoolhouse for the Nurse Anesthesia program and developed a training site at my civilian employer. You be amazed at what I carry in my travel kit
    Tom & Ellen McHugh
    Weldon Spring MO

2021 F350 Crewcab SB 7.3 gas
    GD 150 RD260

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123