User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto-level also extends slides?

We're the proud owners of a new 2019 Solitude 377 MBS. Is it expected that the slides extend while auto-leveling?

We took delivery Friday. At delivery we didn't retract the slides, retract the landing gear and then start the auto level-system. We only took it out of level and did the auto-level with the slides already out.

When we got home and unhitched and started the auto-level the slides also started to extend. I'm assuming something is wrong as all the documentation says you should auto-level with the slides in. There is also no mention that the slides will also extend/retract while extending/retracting.

As a note, the 377 has 4 slides. 3 of them are controlled together (the kitchen/living + mid bunk). The bedroom is separate and isn't affected by the landing gear.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problems on my 2018 Solitude 310GK. On mine, one time (out of ~6), when retracting the main slides, the front landing gear also retracted. I was able to extend the landing gear and finish retracting the slides. I have only setup/torn down a few times (brand new trailer), so I do not know if this is a common problem. The only issue I noticed was the battery was a little low, but far from "dead" (we were not on shore power and the truck was not yet hooked up). Have others had this problem? I will be watching for more issues in the future.

Looking forward (I think) to hearing others experiences.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I reparked it the next day and had the same issue. I just ran 50 amp service to plug it in and will see if it behaves differently while on shore power.

EDIT: Just confirmed the issue persist. I also confirmed that this this also happens when extending the landing gear. The slides extend a little bit (while I am holding FRONT). This made hitching weird because if I raise the front I have to then go in and retract the slides!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I am a reflection owner not a Solitude BUT I can tell you this is not correct. both your slides and your jacks (levelers) are hydraulically controlled which means they are valves run off the same hydraulic pump. You have a bad/stuck hydraulic valve. Time for a dealer call...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh. Less than 24 hours worth of ownership...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I found on ours, check your fluid level! With all slides in and all jacks up, the fluid should be at the full line of the reservoir. There is a line molded into the reservoir (curb side of the front compartment) and a label with "full line" and an arrow pointing to it. I had to add 2 Qts (1/2 gallon) of ATF to bring it up to the correct level when I got mine. Before I added fluid, I actually sucked air into the system and it caused all sorts of add behavior. I added fluid and cycled the system multiple time. It is self purging.

Just for information if you get stuck, the Solitudes have manual shut off/lock out valves for each hydraulic slide. In our 310GK they are located on the wall behind and just above curb side propane take. They are not marked and fairly non-descript black knobs (on a black wall). This was not covered in our PDI and very briefly mentioned by the service manager after the PDI based on some other questions I asked. If turned clockwise, they close off the circuit to that slide and effectively "lock it" in it's current position (open or closed or in between). Normally, the valves are open (all the way counter clockwise). This might be useful if you need to lock the slides to prevent them moving when the jacks are operated.

Good luck and please post back what you fine.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. I did notice that it wasn't all the way up to the full line with just the landing gear extended. I'll retract everything tomorrow and see how it looks.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I retracted everything and added the recommended fluid to get to the fill line (about 1.5 quarts). I think cycled everything about 10 times and I'm able to replicate the issue consistently.

I observed that the slides don't seem to have an auto-shutoff when they are being retracted/extended like the level up legs and landing gear seem. If I retract the slides and then retract the legs and then extend the legs, the slides always come out unless I give the slide retract button a little bump out (not enough that they move, just to have the pump work a tiny bit). I'm not sure if the valve gets stuck when there's too much pressure or something, but it was pretty consistent with about 4 cycles alternating testing that and just extending the legs.

I also confirmed that the slides extend when I lower either the landing gear or the leveling legs when the valve seems to be stuck open, which I think confirms a problem with the valve.

So... the questions are:
    1) Should the slides auto shutoff when extending/retracting?
    2) If so, is there a sensor somewhere? Is it part of the solenoid on the hydraulic system, or somewhere else? Is there a way to test them?
    3) Could the failure to shutoff cause the valve to stick?
    4) Or is the auto shutoff not a thing and it just appeared that way?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching for the answers, I simply do not know but am interested.

I am not aware of any auto-shut off on the slides. When mine are fully open or closed, I can hear the pump motor load down from the increased head pressure. I have not tried (or been brave enough) to keep the pump active after that (full open/close). The jacks must have some type of feedback/auto shut off (could be position -but that would mean a sensor on each jack, I suspect it is a single pressure sensor) to tell the controller when the jacks are all "up".

Sound to me like you have either a partially stuck valve (given the amount of swarf I have found all over (including in the water lines) it would not surprise me one bit if there was a little dirt keeping the valve from closing).

or possibly one of the valves manual adjustment is partially open. The solenoids can be operated manually, and it sounds like it is a screw(threaded) adjustment, so possibly a solenoid is partially open. I have never played with the manual over ride.

In either case I would take it back to the dealer or contact LCI for trouble shooting and get a record of the malfunction (so they do not say any trouble shooting you do caused the problem).

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaxventures View Post
    Ugh. Less than 24 hours worth of ownership...
    The dealer knew there was a problem and let you take it home. SHAME on them.

There is a stuck open valve on your slide hydraulic system.
    Like someone said; turn off the 2 valves for the slides in the propane compartment will stop them from going out early. A phone call to GD to create a work order and repair is next. Maybe GD can have a mobile tech come out and fix it, if your dealer is too far.

It's sad that the dealer only cares about the sale.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast