Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Leaf Spring Upgrade Experience?

I'm going to be helping a fellow owner change the springs on his Solitude that are starting to show some flatness. He currently has 7,000# axles (3,500#) springs. He'd like to install 4,000# springs to provide some buffer and maybe prevent flat springs in the future. I know Grand Design has done this on a case-by-case basis when a spring has broken, but have any of you done so to be proactive? If you have, I have some questions.

1. Other than the new springs and bushings, did you need to change anything else? Were the shackles the correct length?

2. Where did you purchase the springs from?

3. What brand of springs did you install?

I appreciate your responses.

JIm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I'm going to be helping a fellow owner change the springs on his Solitude that are starting to show some flatness. He currently has 7,000# axles (3,500#) springs. He'd like to install 4,000# springs to provide some buffer and maybe prevent flat springs in the future. I know Grand Design has done this on a case-by-case basis when a spring has broken, but have any of you done so to be proactive? If you have, I have some questions.

1. Other than the new springs and bushings, did you need to change anything else? Were the shackles the correct length?

2. Where did you purchase the springs from?

3. What brand of springs did you install?

I appreciate your responses.

JIm

Jim, I’m not going to be a lot of help but I changed out just one side of our 303 (driver side)taking the 2600# off and installing 3000# to help eliminate the tilt I had. I bought mine from etrailer. And didn’t change anything else out. Rob probably has all the details since a few people did this mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I just had new springs installed on my 315RLTS while it was undergoing warranty work replacing axles and relocating spring hangers.
    When the trailer was new I installed Morryde CR3000 EQ's and their wetbolt, bushing and shackle kit. I can tell you the shackles were the correct length.
    I used springs that were sourced from Canada and were made with Canadian steel in Canada. I don't know the brand. The regional mgr. of the truck repair facility performing the work recommended them to replace the Chinese units from the factory. I may be able to find out the brand, if so I'll let you know. I believe they were purchased from Six Roblees in Seattle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went a step farther. My 375res came from the factory with 7000# Lippert axles and springs. I swapped them out with 8000# Dexter axles and spring. At the same time I installed the MORryde HD shackle and wet bolts kit. The springs and shackles were all the same dimensions, as far as length, as the factory set-up was. Due to the springs being a little stiffer they settled a little less from the weight of the trailer and I gained about an inch in over-all height. With the stiffer springs the trailer rides way smoother. I still get flex from the springs but they now control the weight of the trailer much better. In the change over from 7K to 8K lb axles I also got much larger brakes, which work really well and I went with never lube bearings which seem to be working really well. I only have 800 miles sense I made the change but so far this has been my favorite change. I think your friend will like going to the heavier springs. The Solitudes are heavy trailers and IMHO come from the factory under sprung and really benefit by going to the next stiffer spring. At least mine did.

I had the work done at Merrigan's Arizona Road-Runner RV repair in Tucson. Their place isn't much to look at but they did a really good job.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim

As you probably recall, Pat Wardell, Tom Haycraft & I went through several spring iterations to get our 303RLS Reflections to tow level. Pat did a lot of data analysis and I even built a test fixture to measure the deflection and load carrying ability of different springs. There are several threads with this detail, but this one seems to sum up the spring quality discussion https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...age2?highlight

The LCI reps that I talked to at a couple of Rallies were never able to get the basic engineering F=kx understanding that the springs should be sized to the load being carried and if this load is different on one side than the other . . . the springs should be different. Per Mike's comment, several of us with 303s are running 3000 lb springs on the the left and original 2600 lb springs on the right. This levels the trailer and it seems to tow more "comfortably". LCI did admit to me that my left side springs were "pounded down" (their technician's term) and did provide me with a pair of 3000 lb springs . . . but, they would not change them out on the one side only which is what I wanted.

Kim - I would be really interested to learn more about a Canadian supplier of springs. I got replacement springs from a couple of different sources but ultimately, they were all made in China.

Before doing any spring work, I would suggest starting by measuring "loaded arch height" https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ng-Arch-Height Then after changing the springs, tow the trailer a few hundred miles (to exercise the new springs) and re-measure to know how much difference the new springs actually make.

Rob

Edit: As an additional reference, the springs that I was working with had a new unloaded arch height of about 3" and reached their nominal rating (on my spring compression test fixture) at about 1.5" arch height. Static loaded arch height on the trailer should be between those two numbers.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I would suggest that you talk to Arizona Spring Company http://arizonaspring.com/leaf-springs.html and see what they can suggest. I would ask where there springs are made, how to measure to get the correct spring etc. Sorings is their business, so they should be able to advise you on the best source and fit for leaf springs.

Another option to consider would be the MORryde independent suspension. I believe there are several GD owners who have made this conversion and are very happy with it. MORryde's website is down right now, so I can not post a link for it. An IS upgrade wwould be several times more expensive than just upgrading the leaf springs.

Will be interested in your research and progress.

Best Regards,
    Geeorge
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read on another forum just recently where a Grand Design owner had swapped out his leaf spring and drum brakes for the IS and disc brakes at the Morryde factory. The cost for the 2 axles was $6300. A new leaf spring can be had for under a hundred bucks. No doubt the IS axles are a better idea but that's a lot of coin.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When LCI sent me the first pair of 3000 lb springs that I tried, they were invoiced at production piece price for the customs paperwork (for shipping to Canada). That number was very small . There are a number of online sources for these or similar springs at about $50 each . . . but these will all be manufactured in China regardless of the name on the box.

Attached are the springs that Pat and I considered for our 303 upgrades. We both ended up with original 4 leaf 2600 lb springs on the right side and 5 leaf 3000 lb springs on the left side. These are Chinese springs as well. The dimensions on this chart are not likely applicable to Solitude suspension.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Alternatives.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A truck spring shop would be able to supply/build and install a spring pack using steel not sourced from China. I had to have that done a previous Starcraft RV we had where the springs snapped twice on me. The third time I went to a truck spring shop and the guys there took one look at the O.E. springs and said they were undersized and were chinese made junk. Never had another spring issue after that.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, you could be right about the springs. The fellow that did the repairs was the regional manager for his truck and fleet repair company. He took a special interest in my case and performed all the repairs himself. He could be mistaken about the origin of the springs. I'll ask him when I get the chance.
    That said, when placing the springs next to the Lipperts, there was a visible difference. The spring eyes were actually round and the leaves had a finished look as opposed to sharp edges. We shall see. The trailer does ride better.

BTW, I had the 5200lb Lippert axles replaced with 6000lb Dexters. We also installed heavier rate springs on the street side to compensate for the extra weight on that side. The coach is now level side to side. My buddy following me told me my trailer no longer "lists to port" going down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast