Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Electrical Diagram.pdf 
Views:	201 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	14571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Electrical Diagram.pdf 
Views:	201 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	14571

If this attachment works, it should show my entire electrical layout, as well as the control system. Since the 3012m can't be stacked, you will see that they each drive a seperate subpanel in the RV.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some post-install photos. Honestly, I think the diagram is probably more helpful to show what's going on. If specific photos would be more helpful, just let me know.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...hp?albumid=167

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention ... I also installed EasyStart 364 controllers in each of the 15K BTU air conditioners. These things work great to reduce the startup current. An absolute necessity for running air conditioners on an inverter. They cost about $300 each, but in my opinion these should be installed by default in every air conditioner made. I want a couple for my home air conditioner now.

With these installed, I can run one air conditioner using my Honda 2200ic. I used my dad's Honda 2000i and it ran the 15K BTU air conditioner as well.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Curious why you chose small flexible panels and only 100 watts each, especially since your rig is almost 41 feet long. You could easily fit 8 to 10 of the 200 watt solid panels up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question. And the answer is lack of experience and a huge mistake. I regret doing those. They worked great all summer and I spent 38 nights driving about 4000 miles. BUT, half of them just failed. 0 volt readings. I’ve been in talks with the manufacture to figure out why and replace them. But I’m tempted to scrap them and start over with bigger, better panels. What do you recommend?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

800-Watts of Solar, 400ah of Lithium, and a 3000-Watt inverter in Solitude 377MBS

Quote Originally Posted by Flanaganjk View Post
    Great question. And the answer is lack of experience and a huge mistake. I regret doing those. They worked great all summer and I spent 38 nights driving about 4000 miles. BUT, half of them just failed. 0 volt readings. I’ve been in talks with the manufacture to figure out why and replace them. But I’m tempted to scrap them and start over with bigger, better panels. What do you recommend?
    I’ve heard a dozen horror stories about flexible panels. You’re definitely better off replacing them with solid.
    I don’t know off hand the brand I have but they have a 25 year warranty, they’re fool proof. I’ll PM you a link. They come in 200w but those were on back-order for like 2 weeks so I just got their 165w versions. They’re the same physical size.

So I ended up with 1155w vs 1400w, not that much difference.
    Especially when you look at the actual amps generated, we would have gained maybe 15a total.

If I can fit 7 on my 27 footer you could probably do 10, maybe 12, so 2000w maybe 2400w vs 800w?

You would literally charge 4x faster, in every scenario, cloudy, sunny, whatever.

Hooo doggy!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’ve heard a dozen horror stories about flexible panels. You’re definitely better off replacing them with solid.
    I don’t know off hand the brand I have but they have a 25 year warranty, they’re fool proof. I’ll PM you a link. They come in 200w but those were on back-order for like 2 weeks so I just got their 165w versions. They’re the same physical size.

So I ended up with 1155w vs 1400w, not that much difference.
    Especially when you look at the actual amps generated, we would have gained maybe 15a total.

If I can fit 7 on my 27 footer you could probably do 10, maybe 12, so 2000w maybe 2400w vs 800w?

You would literally charge 4x faster, in every scenario, cloudy, sunny, whatever.

Hooo doggy!

I would be much obliged if you could Cc: me on the recommended solar panel also. Thx. Great stuff.
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By the way...

Just arrived at Walker lake Nevada.
    Boondocking for 2 weeks.
    If anyone is in the area, swing by and hang out with us!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

800-Watts of Solar, 400ah of Lithium, and a 3000-Watt inverter in Solitude 377MBS

Quote Originally Posted by Flanaganjk View Post
    ...start over with bigger, better panels. What do you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog55 View Post
    I would be much obliged if you could Cc: me on the recommended solar panel also. Thx. Great stuff.

I use solar panels from Hightec Solar. They are American made, I believe it's a small company based in Michigan.
    The link below is for the 200 watt panels I'd recommend, the ones that I couldn't get because they were so popular they were on back-order for 2 or 3 weeks!
    Also, check out the article below that, it's a solar install a guy on the Heartland forums did.
    He installed the same panels I have, the 165 watt versions, plus there's lots of good info there, and they also mention working with Brian Boone, the installer that I hired to design and install my entire system.

LINK for panels

Article

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB3ED114-4141-4CAF-B2B3-B765CAE2F04D.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	842.2 KB 
ID:	31610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7EC5F0E-4788-422D-9DCB-17135D3D3FDE.jpg 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	31611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB3ED114-4141-4CAF-B2B3-B765CAE2F04D.jpg 
Size:	842.2 KB 
ID:	31610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7EC5F0E-4788-422D-9DCB-17135D3D3FDE.jpg 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	31611I mounted 6 of the 200 + 25% panels. I figured I would buy from an American company in case I had any issues. This is the third RV I have owned that I mounted a system on. I first wired 2 panels in a string to the combiner box and I have 12 foot run of 2 guage fine strand copper wire from the combiner box to the Victron 150/100 charge controller. I couldn’t get over 700 watts out of a 1200 + 25% system and this was at 12 noon in July in California with no shade whatsoever. I then spoke to AM solar about it and they recommended running the panels individually to the combiner box. I did that still no more than 40 amps and 700 watts. I called Hightec solar and spoke to Jesse the owners Son and he had me individually test the panels. Low and behold 2 of the panels were only putting out about half of the advertised watts and volts. He then had me remove the 2 offending panels from the mounts and take pictures of the panel hooked to my meter to confirm the low voltage. I did that and he said he would send me 2 new panels. I thought great a company that backs their product. Well a year later and about 50 texts and phone calls later still no panels. He keeps telling me they have been shipped or I thought those had shipped. So the fact is they do not back their product and they are sub par performing panels. I spent a ton of money on this project All Victron equipment 150/100 charge controller, 3000 watt inverter charger, battery monitor all remote panel controls, 600 amp hours of lithium batteries not to mention the many hours of labor and at the end of the day it is only as good as the weakest link in this case the sub par solar panels made by Lowtec solar.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast