0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the cost and details!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Last weekend I was at a state park in central AL and there were 4 GD 5th wheels in a row. 2 Reflections, 2 Solitudes. Both Reflections had trailer hitches and no bumpers, and the Solitudes Had bumpers but no hitches. I want to be able to carry the 2 bicycles but no hitch on my Solitude. Yesterday I called GD CS and they said to call Lippert and gave the number. I called Lippert, explained what I had and wanted and they said not to exceed 150 pounds. The Curt bolt on referenced in the original post in the thread is what I am considering. When I ask the Lippert CS about welding his response was again 150 and would not recommend welding. My bike rack is the platform type which provides a better more stable bike support and I'll only carry 2.

When I researched on Amazon for different type clamp on receivers, there are a bunch. The cheapest is basically 2 U bolts and a square tube but the Curt 19100 is a substantial looking welded bracket with 2 large bolts securing it. I'll order soon so I have time to return it if I don't think it will work.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Last weekend I was at a state park in central AL and there were 4 GD 5th wheels in a row. 2 Reflections, 2 Solitudes. Both Reflections had trailer hitches and no bumpers, and the Solitudes Had bumpers but no hitches. I want to be able to carry the 2 bicycles but no hitch on my Solitude. Yesterday I called GD CS and they said to call Lippert and gave the number. I called Lippert, explained what I had and wanted and they said not to exceed 150 pounds. The Curt bolt on referenced in the original post in the thread is what I am considering. When I ask the Lippert CS about welding his response was again 150 and would not recommend welding. My bike rack is the platform type which provides a better more stable bike support and I'll only carry 2.

When I researched on Amazon for different type clamp on receivers, there are a bunch. The cheapest is basically 2 U bolts and a square tube but the Curt 19100 is a substantial looking welded bracket with 2 large bolts securing it. I'll order soon so I have time to return it if I don't think it will work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIwtglKiBwk
    This convinced me and there are others examples to be had. Sure most times nothing will happen but there is a lot of tork and swaying and twisting going on with a typical cheap bike rack at the back of a trailer, especially when being towed over curvy up and down mountain passes.. It can lead to a very unpleasant out come if it fails, for me not worth the gamble. The 4" stock bumpers if you can really call them bumpers have metal so thin you can almost poke you finger through them.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue BUT the 3000qb bumper configuration is 'odd' the bumper is actually a separate piece, like very short football goal post with two short legs. unless I am looking at mine wrong, the ends of the legs of the goal post are 4 x 2 x 15 in metal rectangular 'tube' pieces of frame like material. The jacks are bolted to that and these 15 inches sections are welded to the bottom edge of the real frame. So, if i get one of the bumper support kits, i am connecting it to the goal post legs and not actually to a frame element. Will have to pull back or cut some of the corfam to see where the real frame elements are. If the frame is right under the rear wall, about 2 inches from the bumper, additional support might be welded on some way. Will crawl back and to take another look. My outback bumper was 'real' and was welded to the frame and supported everything (bike, bike rack, kayak rack) with no apparent difficulty in 10,000 miles. Not sure this will work with the imagine more 'decorative' but not structural bumper. Correct me if i am wrong guys, but Im nervous.... has anyone actually put much on an imagine tow behind trailer bumper like the 3000qb?
    Last edited by Ghdorn; 01-26-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: addition info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcboals View Post
    Hitch Pro and Tow charged $750.00 for the hitch and labor and installing the bumper. I got the 5" square bumper cut to length from a local Steel vendor Coyote Steel it was $125.00. Plastic end plugs, Ebay they are kind of hard to find in 5". 5" Square Tubing Plastic Plug, 5 Inch End Cap Fits 7-11 Gauge 5"x5" 5x5 Glide cost $30.00 for two, a little high but hard to find. eBay item number: 131535071565. Also, if when you put the caps on and if they are too tight (mine fit perfectly) I was told to shave the MIDDLE fin on the sides of the plug a little. Do not shave the outside or inside fins because it will fit poorly. Anyway mine fit perfectly. This was an expense for sure but it makes the vehicle safe and no flopping around or torking with two bikes and the Yakima Holdup bike rack is superb. At this stage of life and having had my share of mess ups because of trying to save a dollar I now pay the price for quality. Like Kanter Auto slogan "Do It Once, Do It Right"
    We have the same bike rack now. How has it done on the back of the trailer? I am in the process of getting some Mount-n-lock safety struts to support the bumper then I am going to bolt on a 2" receiver. My only concern is with the bike rack holding up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After welding tabs on the existing bumper and loading a mountain bike I now have about 2800 miles on it with no problem. Yours a better solution but mine seems to be working. Have not quite figured out the tie down for the vertical kayak rack. yet. Left it at home and will reconsider in October when we get home. Wish the out a decent bumper on to begin with!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12