User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat Pump and Furnace come on together

I have a heat pump and when I set the thermostat to turn on the furnace came on as well. It did this when the actual temp was 10 degrees different then the setting temp. I was wondering if this is by design like the house heat pumps use emergency heat if high temperature difference? Once it was up to the temp then the heat pump came on to maintain the heat without the furnace coming on. Also if this is the case and for what ever reason I don't have the propane turned on will it ruin the furnace because it is trying to run.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is by design.

It will not hurt the furnace, as it will just go into fault status, fail to light, and shut down.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 degrees is the designed in temperature offset. Less than 5 and the furnace will not kick in.

The heat pump thermostat instruction booklet explains it.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I found this thread first as I was just getting ready to post how does the heat pump system work. In my current rig I just select heat pump and the heat pump system works till the outside temp gets to 40. Then the furnace kicks in to run. It sounds like if u select heat pump to start with the furnace kicks in at the start to raise the temp up to the set temp of the heat pump, then the furnace shuts off and let’s the heat pump maintain the temp selected. I’ve been told the Grand Design heat pump also shuts off at an outside temperature of 40. I was also told to set the furnace a few degrees less than the heat pump and then the furnace will kick in when the furnace set temp is reached.

This all makes sense except I was told the furnace would not automately go from head pump to furnace once the heat pump recognizes out side temp at 40. So I guess my question is, if I set heat pump to 68 and furnace to 66 and turn on the heat pump and heat pump will maintain temp at 68 till outside temp hits 40 then heat pump shuts off and the furnace kicks in at 66? If so, that sounds like it switches to furnace from heat pump automatically. Sorry this was so long.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just giving this older thread a bump as the colder weather arrives and others may be surprised that their furnace runs when they’re using electric (heat pump) heat.

I just noticed it for the first time. It’s 62 degrees outside. I turned on electric heat (heat pump) and asked it to boost the temp from 65 degrees to 72 degrees. Got warm pretty quickly, but when the noisy heat pump went off I noticed that the propane furnace was running. After a minute or so that shut off too.

Normal behavior, as the previous posters have advised.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I question the automatic turning off of heat pump when outside temp reaches 40f. The heat pump becomes ineffective, but I am pretty sure it continues to run.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I question the automatic turning off of heat pump when outside temp reaches 40f. The heat pump becomes ineffective, but I am pretty sure it continues to run.
    That would be correct.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just catching up on this thread. If the temperature drops below 40 degrees the furnace will take over but the heat pump will continue to run? In that instance it would be best to set the controller to heat gas thereby turning the heat pump off? I'm new to this set up. I've had a heat pump in a house but it had a heat strip in it for those really cold nights.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also noticing that at the current outdoor temps in the high 40s and the thermostat set at 72 heat the heat pump is running for about a minute every 5-8 mins. Maybe I need to turn it off and go on the furnace?
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta2.0 View Post
    I'm also noticing that at the current outdoor temps in the high 40s and the thermostat set at 72 heat the heat pump is running for about a minute every 5-8 mins. Maybe I need to turn it off and go on the furnace?
    The short cycle doesn't sound right, but when it's cold out I've got the fireplace going and some secondary heaters. The Electric is paid for and the 50 amp will handle it all.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK